PDA

View Full Version : Question from a soon to be california resident

elnoob
03-20-2011, 9:22 PM
I will be moving to California in a couple of months from doing lots of reading here i think i have a hold on everything i need to do except one thing . I have kids and i am trying to find out if its required that all guns be in a safes because i have kids ? i Have a few old collectible revolvers i have to keep on display I called the local PD for the town i am going to be living in and the officer i talked to told me when their are minors in the home it is state law that all firearms must be in a safe at all times when not being transported for use at the range or cleaned .

But i also called the county sheriff and was told that they do not have to be in a safe i just need to make sure minors do not have access to loaded firearms .So can any one here help me out and tell me what the truth is sense i'm getting different stories about the cal laws from different law enforcement agency's lol. I just want to know if all my long and hand guns need to be in a safe or not so i know if i need to set aside tax return money for a safe bigger then the one i have .

thanks

finfan
03-20-2011, 9:35 PM
Lol, welcome to Kalifornistan! You'll get constant contradictory info on firearm laws here. Uuummm I go with the sheriff on this one. Sorry, I'm on a cynical kick right now!

Veggie
03-20-2011, 9:37 PM
They don't need to be in safes. But you are liable if something happens.

GOEX FFF
03-20-2011, 9:38 PM
WELCOME TO CALGUNS elnoob!

Your County sheriff is correct, you're not required nor is it mandatory to have a safe.
And yes, penalties come if a child/minor gets a hold of your loaded firearm that's easily accessible and uses it in an unlawful manor on another person, you will be held responsible. But, if the said arm is/was locked in a safe or locking device and then the child/minor bypasses it (breaks in to the safe or breaks a lock on it) and uses it in an unlawful manor, the blame goes on the child/minor. But even so, that may not be a fun ride for the owner for a while, regardless until it's sorted out.

From DOJ FAQ -

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#4

"Am I required by law to store my firearms where children cannot access them?

Yes. In most cases, if you keep any loaded firearm within any premise which is under your custody or control and know or reasonably should know that a child (person under 18 years of age) is likely to gain access to the firearm, you may be guilty of a felony if a child gains access to that firearm and thereby causes death or injury to any person unless the firearm was in a secure locked container or locked with a locking device that rendered it inoperable.

(PC Section 12035-12036)

DemocracyEnaction
03-20-2011, 9:38 PM
Yaa der komifornia!!

dustoff31
03-20-2011, 9:41 PM
The sheriff is closest to correct. The law does not require that they be in a safe, or even locked up. But, if they aren't in a safe or locked up and a kid gets ahold of one of your guns and hurts themselves or another, you're done for.

So, Legally required? No. A most excellent idea? Definitely.

todd2968
03-20-2011, 9:54 PM
I suggest rendering it inoperable not permanently that would be sacrilegious, just to be sure.

elnoob
03-21-2011, 5:30 AM
Thanks for the solid information but know that the local city pd where im moving either lied or was ignorant of the law does not give me much confidence lol

NotEnufGarage
03-21-2011, 5:34 AM
Thanks for the solid information but know that the local city pd where im moving either lied or was ignorant of the law does not give me much confidence lol

Welcome to Kalifornia!

SoCal Gunner
03-21-2011, 6:56 AM
I suggest rendering it inoperable not permanently that would be sacrilegious, just to be sure.

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/129152-3/Kerry_Katona_faces.gif?

:rofl2:

What the hell is going on with your sig .gif?

gravedigger
03-21-2011, 7:15 AM
So the big question is, WHY are you moving to commiefornia? There are 49 other states (or 57, if you trust the anointed one) and several other countries that are a better choice.

Andy Taylor
03-21-2011, 7:21 AM
They don't need to be in safes. But you are liable if something happens.

This. Oh and that means CRIMINALLY liable, not just civilly liable.

SoCal Gunner
03-21-2011, 7:22 AM
Welcome to California, where are you coming from and where are you moving to?