PDA

View Full Version : Traveling acroos 3 states, different laws for carrying?

Shinobi'sZ
03-20-2011, 5:07 PM
Going on a trip to see family from California to Texas. I know in California that a handgun must be either in the trunk, or a locked container in the passenger compartment other then that the glove box or center console.

I read where Arizona and Texas have laws that a handgun maybe concealed within the passenger compartment of the vehicle so long as the owner legally posesses the handgun and is not committing a crime.

Texas has a specific law called the "highway protection act".

My question is do these laws apply to non Texas and Arizona residents, or people who are traveling across country? and what about New Mexico?

Thanks

Librarian
03-20-2011, 5:19 PM
You'd have to look at the text of the laws of each state to be sure, but generally speaking, state laws apply to people who are within the jurisdiction.

I have no familiarity with AZ or NM or TX laws, so I can't help there.

dustoff31
03-20-2011, 7:39 PM
Going on a trip to see family from California to Texas. I know in California that a handgun must be either in the trunk, or a locked container in the passenger compartment other then that the glove box or center console.

I read where Arizona and Texas have laws that a handgun maybe concealed within the passenger compartment of the vehicle so long as the owner legally posesses the handgun and is not committing a crime.

Texas has a specific law called the "highway protection act".

My question is do these laws apply to non Texas and Arizona residents, or people who are traveling across country? and what about New Mexico?

Thanks

In AZ, you do not need to be a resident to carry in your vehicle. Or anywhere else for that matter.

yellowfin
03-20-2011, 7:39 PM
Do you have any non-resident carry licenses? You can OC in NM and AZ, then if you have one of several non-resident licenses you can CC in TX and no permit needed to CC AZ. I always OC in NM b/c there's not that many out of state licenses they recognize for concealing.

dustoff31
03-20-2011, 7:41 PM
Do you have any non-resident carry licenses? You can OC in NM and AZ, then if you have one of several non-resident licenses you can CC in TX and AZ.

He can carry openly or concealed in AZ with no permit at all.

yellowfin
03-20-2011, 7:51 PM
Very useful resources: http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php and http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

gunsmith
03-20-2011, 8:11 PM
fopa should protect you.
AZ its all good.
However the women in TX are prettier and the beer is colder.

MP301
03-20-2011, 8:44 PM
I just looked, FL, NV and AZ are recognized by New Mexico and Texas.

My suggestion would be to get an AZ as you can do this by mail for $60 and the turn around time is about 10 days to 2 weeks. Even in AZ where you can CCW w/out a permit, your still not exempt from the Federal GFSZ and you cant ener any resteraunt that serves alcohol without it.

See A DPS for requirements. You will need to contact them and they will send your app real fast. You dont need a picture, but will need to get printed (they will send you the cards). But, you can get printed by LE or any private place (some Mail Boxes Etc. even do it now).

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

Also see this thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=409626

J.D.Allen
03-21-2011, 8:59 AM
AZ its all good.
However the women in TX are prettier and the beer is colder.

WTF??? I beg to differ sir, on both counts! :D

J.D.Allen
03-21-2011, 9:04 AM
Even in AZ where you can CCW w/out a permit, your still not exempt from the Federal GFSZ

One stands about as much chance of getting hit by lightning as they do getting in trouble for that. Last time I checked there were no FBI agents looking for Fed GFSZ violations in AZ, and state and local PD's don't give a rat's petoot. If you haven't heard AZ and the Feds aren't getting along very well lately...

GrizzlyGuy
03-21-2011, 9:07 AM
fopa should protect you.

Yup, here it is (18 USC 926A (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html)):

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

More info from NRA-ILA here (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59). Note that it provides for an affirmative defense after the fact, so it is still possible that you could be arrested for violating some state or local law. It's therefore best to keep the guns out of sight and don't volunteer info to LEOs that you are transporting guns.

fiddletown
03-21-2011, 9:28 AM
Best bet is an Arizona CCW --

[1] In Arizona, there's no carrying without a permit in restaurants that serve alcohol.

[2] In New Mexico, there's no concealed carry without a permit.

[3] In Texas, there's no open carry, and there's concealed carry without a permit.

[4] Each of these States may in some way allow having a loaded gun in one's car, but I don't know the details. It wouldn't be a issue for me since I have a number of permits, including Arizona and Nevada, so I'd just always be carrying my gun concealed. Anyway, if I need my gun when I'm out and about, say shopping or looking at sights, having my gun in my car isn't going to do me any good.

rogervzv
03-21-2011, 9:38 AM
There is a really good iphone/ipad app called legalheat that has all the gun laws for the 50 states. Tailor made for what you are doing.