PDA

View Full Version : marlin 39A questions??

9mill
03-20-2011, 4:48 PM
hi guys , im thinking of getting a older marlin, are the micro grooved models better shooters? are there years and models that are considered more sought after/ collectable? also if i get an older gun and it needed parts, how hard would they be to find? as you can tell im just learning about them so any and all tips would be great. also is a $100 tranfer fee PLUS registration to high to pay? many thanks!!

dfletcher
03-20-2011, 6:18 PM
hi guys , im thinking of getting a older marlin, are the micro grooved models better shooters? are there years and models that are considered more sought after/ collectable? also if i get an older gun and it needed parts, how hard would they be to find? as you can tell im just learning about them so any and all tips would be great. also is a $100 tranfer fee PLUS registration to high to pay? many thanks!!

I'd say it's too high. About $75.00 including DROS is about right - not great, not lousy but OK. $100.00 plus DROS is "I'm PO'd you didn't buy the gun from me ...."

jackandblood
03-20-2011, 7:02 PM
ya $75 is pretty standard. A place called Straightline Tactical in Anaheim is said to do $50 transfers and DROs. I will check out that store sometime.

I know nothing of older marlins and micro grooved models. Im assuming micro grooving refers to the rifling. Whatever it is it probably didnt do much at all, otherwise they'd be using it on their current models. With out of production anything parts availability is on a model to model basis. There's a pretty large marlin following including shops that do custom work for marlins.

Canucky
03-20-2011, 7:09 PM
Love my 39 golden. Older are better from what I have read. Put the coffee on. Good thread on the marlin 39. Long read put great info.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=261635

jackandblood
03-20-2011, 7:30 PM
mmm hmm. advances in metallurgy or mfg processes are rubbish. :)

donw
03-21-2011, 8:43 AM
i have a 39A Golden.

it's very accurate once you find the ammo it likes best.
easy to take down for maintenance, storage and transporting.
parts are available readily
quality made with quality materials...very rugged and durable
optics compatible if you wish
will digest LR, long and short .22 rim fire ammo.

i believe that they still 'micro-groove' the bore.

IMO, FWIW...you won't regret a quality 39A...