PDA

View Full Version : So explain things to a NorCal hunting noob.

MikeK
10-24-2006, 5:00 PM
What do I need to get started?

Do you need a license to hunt everything? ie. pigs, coyote, etc?

Where are good places for drive in hunting?

Sorry. Said I was a noob. :D

FatKatMatt
10-24-2006, 5:13 PM
You need to take a class to get certified to hunt. Mine was 9 hours (over three days mind you), after that they give you a test and if you pass you're given "Hunter Education Certification" card. You have to get that validated, which costs $3.40. Then you have to get a license, and then a tag for the animal you want to hunt, and for what zone you will be hunting in. The gov't makes a bundle off of this stuff.

Overkill
10-24-2006, 5:42 PM
What part of Nor Cal are you in?

MikeK
10-24-2006, 7:59 PM
What part of Nor Cal are you in?
Upper Napa Valley

joel1316
10-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Do you need a license to hunt everything? ie. pigs, coyote, etc?

Basically in California, if its got fur, you need a license.

C.G.
10-25-2006, 1:15 PM
You need to take a class to get certified to hunt. Mine was 9 hours (over three days mind you), after that they give you a test and if you pass you're given "Hunter Education Certification" card. You have to get that validated, which costs $3.40. Then you have to get a license, and then a tag for the animal you want to hunt, and for what zone you will be hunting in. The gov't makes a bundle off of this stuff.

You can also take a "re-fresher" course, which I think was half the time but if I remember correctly the cost was the same.

johnny_22
10-25-2006, 2:17 PM
But, you study at home using web sites, and need to present a certificate ($15) showing you passed the on-line class. Also $10 for the State test in class. So the cost is higher, but you spend less time in the classroom. Didn't see any classes up in Napa. The lists is at:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/he_classes.html#homestudy

anotherone
10-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Upper Napa Valley

Not sure exactly the details of Napa but around NorCal in the Central Valley it's all about bird hunting and pig hunts. During the fall you hunt Ducks, Geese, Pheasants, Doves, and Turkeys (be careful though because Turkey Hunters are demented psychopaths). Spring brings a second Turkey season. Pigs can be hunted all year round and there are many along the coast and in other locations.

First you'll need to get your hunting safety certificate. Then just sit back and enjoy as the state reams you for your license fees, saftey validation stamp (yep $3.50 stamp just to activate your safety cert), upland game stamp, cali duck stamp, and fed stamp. Did I mention pig tags recently increased in price from $8/4 tags to $16.50/tag?

Anyhow though I'm mostly a bird man who hunts squirrels, rabbits, and pigs when there's no birds in season (I've also been known to gig frogs). I could tell you plenty about duck/geese season but not too much about other stuff. As you learn more about hunting and gain experience you will find there are particular hunts ans game that you are more talented at and enjoy more.

P.S. Buy duck, geese, and/or Turkey calls NOW and begin practicing. It can take considerable time to build up your calling skills. You can also learn squirrel barks and other calls but those are mostly for call junkies like me who have a call lanyard big enough to double as a prison shackle.

metalhead357
10-26-2006, 12:39 AM
But, you study at home using web sites, and need to present a certificate ($15) showing you passed the on-line class. Also $10 for the State test in class. So the cost is higher, but you spend less time in the classroom. Didn't see any classes up in Napa. The lists is at:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/he_classes.html#homestudy

Or contact Darrin at Darrins guns downtwon Napa or The last gun shop on Imola. There IS a guy outta the Napa Rifle & pistol that does teach the classes FWIR....

But yep. Need the course, need the licence...and THEN you need to find a spot. SOME will point ya' to an area but beware! NOBODY is going to give ya' thier prime spot LOL! You're in for getting 'seconds' at best. Deer is basically done for the year but ya' still got time for Duck, bear, pig, coyote, raccon (?), squirrel, and quite a few others.

Good luck, Napa county is HIGHLY privately owned lands so if ya' find a spot (even a second) on public lands lettme know as I do make it down there sometimes! If ya' make it up north...WAY up north I can point ya' to some places in return. Berryessa is supposedly a ok spot but I aint ever had any luck there.

Hunter
10-26-2006, 6:37 PM
If you are going to get into hunting every year, you should consider a lifetime hunting license when you can afford one. Sure beats the constant increases in license fees.

I was lucky to get mine a few years ago, prior to the increase and it was the best investment I made. Actually I should say the second best, as I also bought both my kids life time license when they were born, only $300 then... now that was the best deal yet!

With the added packages, I get a deer tag, 5 pig tags, upland stamp and waterfowl stamp every year for life. The same can be said for the lifetime fishing license package as well.

Plus if I ever move out of this state, I still get the license and all the tags without paying non resident fees!!

tankerman
10-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Keep at it, California can be a tough place to hunt. So don't get frustrated if you don't kill something right out of the gate, try to measure success by the amount of quality time you spend in the field. There are plenty of animals, the biggest issue is generally terrain. That is the main difference between hunting in the West and hunting the other side of the continental divide. Also, try and find a hunting partner. Makes things a little safer and helps productivity.