PDA

View Full Version : shipping legality question

solomon707
03-20-2011, 3:42 PM
Greetings and felicitations, children of technology!

I've been reading this forum for a while, so I finally registered. I've got a question for you that google has been unable to answer.

I own an 1892 winchester that is currently at my uncle's place in washington. Do I have to have it shipped from an ffl to an ffl, or can I just have him ship it straight to me?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Librarian
03-20-2011, 3:53 PM
You own it already?

You can have it shipped directly to you - there is no transfer of ownership.

solomon707
03-20-2011, 4:40 PM
Fantastic, many thanks.

bwiese
03-20-2011, 5:04 PM
The above answer is fully and technically correct.

And in fact you can go up there and pick it up, fly home with it, etc.

But from a practical standpoint, you may run into grief at USPO, UPS, or FedEx having the gun shipped directly to an indiivudal. They may only wanna see a gun being shipped to an FFL dealer and not dig deep into their own rules. I've heard of repeated problems here - and when I was (unfortunately) bequested a gun by a late friend, I had the family send it out to a CA FFL just to minimize shipping issues.

zinfull
03-20-2011, 5:20 PM
Have the gun boxed and take to the USPS office and ship away. I had them say NO but stayed nice and informed them that Yes I could and that I have done this before. They came back and asked if there was ammo and asked how I wanted the gun shipped. Talk nice but be firm.

jerry

TheKlawMan
03-20-2011, 9:36 PM
Have the gun boxed and take to the USPS office and ship away. I had them say NO but stayed nice and informed them that Yes I could and that I have done this before. They came back and asked if there was ammo and asked how I wanted the gun shipped. Talk nice but be firm.

jerry

Dissassemble it, ship it in two packages of parts and you aren't even shipping a firearm or are you?

Librarian
03-20-2011, 9:51 PM
Dissassemble it, ship it in two packages of parts and you aren't even shipping a firearm or are you?

Since it's a long gun in question, that doesn't matter. USPS will ship rifles.

The receiver (or other serialized part, depending on the rifle) is a 'firearm'; so an AR-type lower is a firearm, the stock and the upper are just parts.

bluesmoke9
03-21-2011, 4:05 PM
So I have to ask, if I want to send a handgun to someone for gunsmithing, and I tell UPS or FEDEX the box contains "machined parts" am I committing a crime or am I just going against their company policy?

stix213
03-21-2011, 4:16 PM
I just dropped off a handgun at a fedex store to be shipped to an FFL yesterday. It was already boxed up. The guy just asked me if it was fragile or needed additional packing. Never was asked what was in the box. He seemed more concerned that since I put the value at $600 that whatever it was could be broken.

bluesmoke9
03-21-2011, 4:32 PM
Well, knowing my luck they'de ask. I'm thinking it's just their policy but I'd like to know for sure.

bluesmoke9
03-21-2011, 6:45 PM

Anything like a receiver or a frame that is serialized is a firearm in and of itself according to 18 USC 921.

ke6guj
03-21-2011, 11:01 PM
So I have to ask, if I want to send a handgun to someone for gunsmithing, and I tell UPS or FEDEX the box contains "machined parts" am I committing a crime or am I just going against their company policy?

if it is being shipped to an FFL, the law does not require you to tell the shipper that you are shipping a firearm. You would just be going against their company policy, and might run into inusrance issues if the shipment was lost/stolen/damaged, but it isn't a crime.

FXR
03-21-2011, 11:58 PM

Personally, I'm a fan of "it's a precision instrument."