PDA

View Full Version : safe (house or garage)

RAguy
03-20-2011, 2:02 PM
I am waiting for delivery of my browning medallion gun safe, and looking for advice on where to install it. Our first floor is a wide open floor plan, and the safe would be visible to any entering. I am concerned about the garage location, one would think its the most accessible to the BG's. Is the garage a good location if one is discreet keeping the safe covered?

johnthomas
03-20-2011, 2:32 PM
Many thieves act on the spur of the moment. Having the garage door open creates a crime of opportunity. People window shop as they pass by and come back later to make their purchase. If the safe is in there they may make plans to break into it. In the house where people are moving around is the best place. Also most people that have alarms don't alarm their garage. I don't have the garage alarmed. If you don't have any alarm system, you could get a cheap system for your garage that alarms when doors are opened or motion detector. A must is bolting the safe down in the garage. My safe is in the house, easy to get to and unlocked when I am home unless kids are present in the house.

Joe
03-20-2011, 3:13 PM
Whatever you do make sure you bolt it to the ground.

sk8804
03-20-2011, 10:03 PM
i would put it in the house. But its ultimately up to where you feel most comfortable.

alexf2k9
03-20-2011, 10:30 PM
If you put it in the garage make sure you put the safe inside a cabinet. so the bg's when they walk by they just see a normal looking garage and cant see the safe, if you need to open the safe make sure you dont open it with the garage door open so everyone can see you

Santa Cruz Armory
03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
I have 2 in the house and one in the garage. :D

WWDHD?
03-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice gunsafe choice. I say keep it in the house. Garage is to easy to break into and everyone can see it from the street whenever your door is open (most likely). Browning safes are very nice looking safes, if you can't hide it, show it off! Make it part of your home decor.
Good luck!

bsg
03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
mine is in the house.

LCE
03-21-2011, 3:09 AM
i would put it in the house. But its ultimately up to the wife .

Fixed it for you.

Oh, and I vote for the house as well.

gravedigger
03-21-2011, 7:27 AM
My vote is, put it where it can be MOST securely bolted down. If putting it into your house means bolting it to a wooden floor, I say bolt it down in the garage, to the concrete pad.

If you put it into the house OR garage, try to place it where it is NOT against an outside wall. Criminals will come in, knock two holes through the outside wall, wrap a chain around the safe and YANK it right through the wall with their truck.

If you put it in the garage, don't let the safe door face the garage door or window(s). Turn it sideways, and frame up a simple drywall that extends far enough so that you cannot see any part of the safe by looking into the garage door or window(s) even when the safe's door is swung open.

WWDHD?
03-21-2011, 7:42 AM
I suppose its possible to yank a big cube shaped object through the side of your house but that would take a lot of time and work, not to mention a whole lot of noise. More noise=more likely to get caught.
I have always heard from friends who are Firefighters that usually the coolest part of a room in a house fire is towards an outside wall and thats the best location for anything to survive a fire. Fires are very unpredictable things for sure but closer to the outside wall is a good bet.

the big ravioli
03-21-2011, 7:46 AM
I have 3 inside the house and a large one in the garage for all my ammo and parts. I bolted them all down like fort knox. If someone tried to get them out yes they would make tons of noise. I would hope my neighbors would here that if we weren't home and call the police.

VictorFranko
03-21-2011, 8:03 AM
I prefer mine in the house. It has become habit before leaving the house for the day to take a glance and verify the safe is closed, same before retiring for the evening.
Since I use the safe for anything of value besides my guns, access is much easier in the house.

Smokinthehippies
03-21-2011, 8:08 AM
also depends on renting or owning.

since we still rent, its easier for me to put anchors/bolts in the cracked garage floor then it is on the wood floors of the house. like said, where ever you can get it more securely anchored will be the winning vote.

Revoman
03-21-2011, 8:51 PM
I'm a garage guy, I bolted mine down with 4 - 3/4" stainless steel wedge bolts that are long enough for me to put a stainless steel heavy piece of pipe over.

I set the elevation using nuts and washers to keep it off of the floor by about 3". I then put the pipe over the bolts before installing the safe on top.

The purpose of the pipe sleeves is to prevent using a saw to cut through the bolts. The pipe spins if a Sawzall is tried as there is just enough space to allow it to move freely without leaving space for a blade. (Remember that the safe is actually sitting on the nuts with washers.)

Since garage floors are always sloped, I was able to level the safe. It also keeps the safe off of the floor in case of dampness, plus I can clean under it.

xtalpimp
03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Many thieves act on the spur of the moment. Having the garage door open creates a crime of opportunity. People window shop as they pass by and come back later to make their purchase. If the safe is in there they may make plans to break into it. In the house where people are moving around is the best place. Also most people that have alarms don't alarm their garage. I don't have the garage alarmed. If you don't have any alarm system, you could get a cheap system for your garage that alarms when doors are opened or motion detector. A must is bolting the safe down in the garage. My safe is in the house, easy to get to and unlocked when I am home unless kids are present in the house.

I agree with this with a couple other suggestions. The part about the garage not being alarmed is true. But instead of installing a cheap non monitored alarm just for the garage you can ask your alarm co to add a new zone for the safe. There are wireless devices that are pretty good that can be added for little cost. Safe contacts and EVDs are some of the sensors you can put on the safe.

Don't forget that if you have a safe in the garage you need to keep it off the floor or you will have rust problems on the safe floor.

Where ever you put it discretion is the better part of valor. keep it out of public sight period. I know we call them "safes" and they look like safes they are not safes by UL lab standards. If you look for your UL cert which is usually mounted on the door it is classified as a "residential security container" . These are pretty light weight armour wise and are better at defending your valuables from a fire than a determined thief with a plan that knows you have concentrated all your valuables.

If you can keep the safe placement away from a publicly accessible wall that would add more security as the thief has to break into your house defeat your alarm system then attack your safe. If it shares a common wall they may chain it up and pull, but more than likely they will cut a hole in the stucco/drywall then cut a hole in your 12 gauge sheet metal that is the skin of your "safe" then break the cinderblocks that make up the the fireresistancy and fish your valuables out.

Don't forget to keep it out of sight from street level windows, covered in your garage, arm your alarm that is centrally monitored religiously and get a rider from your homeowners policy for your valuables. That is the best anyone can really do.