PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically speaking

707electrician
03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Lets say I had a spring from a glock magazine (lets just say from a G17) laying around the house that I have had since before the hi-cap ban, this is the only part of the hi-cap I own and the only part I have ever owned. Now lets say I went and bought a G17 mag rebuild kit today and assembled a complete magazine using that spring I had laying around for years, is this legal even though I never actually owned a complete hi-cap (hypothetically speaking).

Now lets take it a step further. Assuming the aforementioned situation was legal and that is what I did and, hypothetically speaking, a few years down the road that spring that I have owned since before the ban wears out and I replace it with the spring from the rebuild kit I bought today is that legal even though I have a magazine that is now assembled all from parts that were acquired from after the ban?

hoffmang
03-20-2011, 1:00 PM
If you possessed a 11 or more round magazine in California before 1/1/2000, then you can rebuild it. Just possessing a spring doesn't mean you possess a magazine.

Your second point though is valid. You can slowly but surely fully replace all parts in a pre-2000 11+ magazine.

-Gene

jimx
03-20-2011, 1:02 PM
No. You did not have a hi cap only a part of one.

loose_electron
03-20-2011, 1:04 PM
Take the hi-cap magazine apart into its associated parts...
(4 parts usually?)

4 rebuild kits...

4 repair rebuilds...

Kind of like breeding your dog...

Seriously, not suggesting this...

Shotgun Man
03-20-2011, 1:23 PM
(4 parts usually?)

4 rebuild kits...

4 repair rebuilds...

Lol.

707electrician
03-20-2011, 1:26 PM
If you possessed a 11 or more round magazine in California before 1/1/2000, then you can rebuild it. Just possessing a spring doesn't mean you possess a magazine.

Your second point though is valid. You can slowly but surely fully replace all parts in a pre-2000 11+ magazine.

-Gene

Thanks Gene. I took apart a magazine I have and was thinking that the spring could be used for some sort of project and that got me to thinking what if someone had one laying around from a project.

707electrician
03-20-2011, 1:29 PM
(4 parts usually?)

4 rebuild kits...

4 repair rebuilds...

I see what you are saying, turn 4 legally owned hi-caps into 16 hi-caps.

I don't think that is legal for some reason:D