PDA

View Full Version : Using a Marlin Model 60?

tacticoolguy
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi, I'm curious about doing an appleseed shoot, and was wondering if my model 60 would be ok. I'm asking because the appleseed website suggest having a extra magazines. Since the model 60 is tube fed, how would reloads work out? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

ojisan
03-20-2011, 12:34 PM
There is a "rapid" fire (timed) stage where it is faster to change a mag than reload a tube.
However, if you get one of those tube reloaders, or have quick fingers, you may be just fine with the Model 60.

foesgth
03-20-2011, 3:26 PM
Hi, I'm curious about doing an appleseed shoot, and was wondering if my model 60 would be ok. I'm asking because the appleseed website suggest having a extra magazines. Since the model 60 is tube fed, how would reloads work out? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Some of the stages call for a magazine change. With a tube fed one loads 11 rounds. At the point where the other shooters are changing magazines you will eject the extra round to simulate the mag change. Marlin 60's are great Appleseed guns!

pennys dad
03-20-2011, 8:54 PM
+1 on the the tube feed rifle, instead of a mag change you will need to cycle the bolt and eject 1 round. Great rifle

NotEnufGarage
05-08-2011, 4:18 PM
and to save your fingers, get one or two of these.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS120-1.html

coolusername2007
05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. I earned Rifleman with my Marlin 60 but it was kind of a pain because you have to adapt your individual steps to what is being taught to everyone else.

Plus for me it was a double whammy because I'm a lefty and I had the extra steps of changing hand positions to load and chamber, then changing again to take position and shoot.

When I finally get around to going again, I'll definitely be taking a mag loaded model.

As an aside, I would also recommend heading out to the range with your rifle and several different brands, types and loads of ammo and see what shoots most accurately with your rifle. No need for special target ammo, just ammo that your rifle favors.

surplus-addict
07-22-2011, 7:25 PM
Get a Marlin 795. It's just a magazine fed model 60. And it's inexpensive to boot.