Joe
10-24-2006, 1:39 PM
wheres the poll?

Patriot
10-24-2006, 2:30 PM
I think you mean "rather HUG the animals"

Joe
10-24-2006, 2:36 PM
no, there are those of us who like to sit around and hang animals ;)

Fjold
10-24-2006, 2:37 PM
Maybe he likes well hung animals?

Also, what about people who hunt with pistols?

FatKatMatt
10-24-2006, 3:17 PM
I got my hunter certification not too long ago, but since deer season is over I have nothing to hunt, I'm waiting until next year. Hopefully I'll be able to bag something real nice.

jmlivingston
10-24-2006, 3:41 PM
Glad the poll doesn't mention "succesful hunting"....

2 out of 2 years with no deer to stick my tag on. :(

John

jemaddux
10-24-2006, 3:48 PM
I think you mean "rather HUG the animals"

I was sitting here trying to figure how that "N" got in there when I wasn't looking........ I knew I should have shot that darn "N" when I had the chance:mad: .

jemaddux
10-24-2006, 3:50 PM
Glad the poll doesn't mention "succesful hunting"....

2 out of 2 years with no deer to stick my tag on. :(

John

Thats when you just say, when the wife ask you what you are doing, I am taking my rifle for a walk.

jemaddux
10-24-2006, 3:54 PM
I got my hunter certification not too long ago, but since deer season is over I have nothing to hunt, I'm waiting until next year. Hopefully I'll be able to bag something real nice.

NOTHING TO HUNT!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?:confused: Quail and Chukar season just opened, Varmit hunting is ALWAYS going and of course there is pig hunting. I have three days of pig hunting coming up turkey day weekend. Oh yea, you also have turkey coming up here pretty fast also. So what are you talking about no hunting?!?!?!? You hunt other things and take notes for dear season, over half the game is scouting areas and just watching. Remember Deer survive for a living, we have to figure out how and where they do that:D .

damon1272
10-24-2006, 5:00 PM
If I had to live off of what I hunted I would be alot skinnier. That being said I enjoy varmint and upland bird hunting.

anotherted
10-24-2006, 5:14 PM
Id go in a minute, but ive got no one to go with.

damon1272
10-24-2006, 6:11 PM
Thats when you just say, when the wife ask you what you are doing, I am taking my rifle for a walk.

I personally refer to this as hiking with guns. It is what I usually do. Sometimes I call it hunting. Because I am hunting, not killing, otherwise I would call it killing but I almost always hunt. Thats why I beat up on little prarie dogs once a year.

M. Sage
10-24-2006, 6:11 PM
Maybe he likes well hung animals?

Also, what about people who hunt with pistols?

He missed the shotgunners, too.

He also missed "Used to hunt, but stopped." I'd like to get back into it, though. Can't find my MI hunter's ed cert, though.. Dunno if they'd honor it here anyway.

jemaddux
10-24-2006, 6:29 PM
He missed the shotgunners, too.

He also missed "Used to hunt, but stopped." I'd like to get back into it, though. Can't find my MI hunter's ed cert, though.. Dunno if they'd honor it here anyway.

When I go tmy Lic about 100 years ago or so I had my Hunter Safety in Iowa. I went into big 5 and they had me sign saying I had done my course and gave me my Lic. That all you have to do.

Now for the other stuff here, CUT THE BS!!!! All you have to do is post HEY I want to go hunting and I am sure someone will say they are going.

GET ER DONE!!!!!!

eckerph
10-24-2006, 7:34 PM

Don't know if this helps but when i moved back here from NM i didn't have an old license or my hunter safety certificate but all i had to do was fill out this little card saying when and where i took the class and they (big5) gave me a license. I use to be an avid hunter but moved and had three kids:D looking to get into it again next year and I'm going to try and go to the squirrel round up in cedarville.

sargenv
10-24-2006, 8:30 PM
So um, what about if I hunt with a pistol or shotgun?

Waterfowl and upland game is taken with a shotgun, I hunt them, I can't get counted. Dang it.

I um hunt, and generally successfully, but not always, I get skunked sometimes too.. I don't do big game, dad never did and I never took it up.

Vince

metalhead357
10-24-2006, 10:29 PM
This thread made me remember one of my early teen shirts that got me booted outta HS to go back home and change a couple of times; was my favorite huntin' shirt. Had two vultures sitting on a tree and one says to the other "Patience my A**, I'm going out and killing something!" Yeah, them teachers loved me- but mommy loved me more!

But I grew up doing both rifle and bow, not so much bow anymore but I still included it. Aint had half of my field-kill edibles though in years, dont even remember what bear or rattlesnake truly tasted like. Used to really do a number on rabbits though with the bow..... a lotta fun & decent fieldcraft learned thorugh all them days hunting.

I've seen it with a lot of peeps and none believe it until it finnally happens to them. You can take a super-experienced gun shooter and take them hunting....but call it the adrenaline rush, buck fever, whatever; the moment comes and sooooooo many suddenly learn they've suddenly forgotton every stinking rule of shooting and hunting!!!!!!!

NO offense to any of the non-hunters here but ya' really gotta take to the field and test yer' percieved skills there at unknown ranges and movng targets, increased adrenaline; it'll teach ya' a LOT about yourself and your "true" shooting skill level.

And for the recorded, I never balked on my bow hunts for anything, nor most of the shotgun or rifle hunts until it came to deer....then buck fever took on a whole new & fully understood meaning.....

YMMV.

Rumpled
10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, what about us scattergunners?
I hunt upland and just took up duck hunting.
I've done the hiking with a heavy stick never seeing deer a few times also.

Used to brign my shotty to high school and go dove or quail hunting in the hills in the fall right after school. This was of course before MPROSD got ahold of all of the land up there. Also, showed my principal my new shotgun once in the trunk of my car. All he said was, "Nice"

Just try that now!

(It wasn't even all that long ago)

metalhead357
10-25-2006, 6:35 AM
Also, showed my principal my new shotgun once in the trunk of my car. All he said was, "Nice"

Just try that now!

LOL! Ah! remember tha' days! I took my bow to school...... mostly because we actually had a archery stack to shoot at!!!!!!!!! Yeah....try that nowadays in 98% of cali and you know where the next stop would be.

eckerph
10-25-2006, 9:51 AM
I've seen it with a lot of peeps and none believe it until it finnally happens to them. You can take a super-experienced gun shooter and take them hunting....but call it the adrenaline rush, buck fever, whatever; the moment comes and sooooooo many suddenly learn they've suddenly forgotton every stinking rule of shooting and hunting!!!!!!!

Reminds me of a story my grandad told me. Him and his brother's were hunting in colorado and his oldest brother armed with a savage lever action jumped a huge mule deer, he got so excited he unloaded his gun! He just kept working the lever:D and never fired a shot,the facial expression my grandpa made of his brother was priceless.

ivanimal
10-26-2006, 8:31 AM
Yeah, what about us scattergunners?
I hunt upland and just took up duck hunting.
I've done the hiking with a heavy stick never seeing deer a few times also.

Used to brign my shotty to high school and go dove or quail hunting in the hills in the fall right after school. This was of course before MPROSD got ahold of all of the land up there. Also, showed my principal my new shotgun once in the trunk of my car. All he said was, "Nice"

Just try that now!

In 1976 I took my new shotgun to school in my gym bag for show and tell. This was in San Francisco! I went on to explain the art of duck hunting as I knew it, and after showing proper gun handling passed it around the class. Do you think my son will ever get that chance?:D

SKSPOWER650
11-23-2006, 9:54 PM
Hunter