PDA

View Full Version : MD: Ammo Clip, Gun Dealer Bills Dead

Southwest Chuck
03-20-2011, 9:28 AM
From the Article (http://eldersburg.patch.com/articles/ammo-clip-gun-dealer-bills-dead)

Gun-rights advocates can rest easy after a House panel this week killed some of the most controversial firearms proposals facing the General Assembly.

The House Judiciary Committee overwhelmingly voted to squash a pair of identical bills that sought to cut in half the number of bullets a detachable magazine can carry. The panel also voted down a bill that would have given state police broad authority to regulate gun dealers.

The part I'm concerned with is that these bills actually passed in their Senate.

cdtx2001
03-20-2011, 9:55 AM
"I'll bring them back next year," Frosh said.

Sounds like they have our version of DeLeon. Some people just won't give up when they're beaten. Sounds like the voters need to beat him at the ballot box.

yellowfin
03-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Frosh is worse than DeLeon, as he has bullying power. He's like a 85% Sheldon Silver on top of DeLeon.

GOEX FFF
03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
From the Article (http://eldersburg.patch.com/articles/ammo-clip-gun-dealer-bills-dead)

The part I'm concerned with is that these bills actually passed in their Senate.

It is concerning, but it's also Maryland we're talking about which nearly ranks right up there with NY, NJ and CA.
I am in a way surprised that it got shot down in that state in the first place. But so far good, coming from a more anti state like MD (for now).

yellowfin
03-20-2011, 4:52 PM
MD is bad for pistols, but unlike other anti states you can NFA stuff which is nice, and standard cap magazines if you buy them out of state which is nice since MD's a skinny state with free states on all 3 sides.

bwiese
03-20-2011, 4:59 PM
Congrats to the MD guys.

I will note MD is worse than CA in 'specific destination'.

A traffic stop with you having even a locked, unloaded pistol is likely to go far worse in Maryland than in CA - in CA, if you're clean, you'll be on your way 10 minutes later if you're not driving a lowered purple Honda with a cracked windshield.

We're bad in CA on "types* of guns, but a lot of other gun-related situations are better than in some of the East Coast states.

lomalinda
03-20-2011, 5:33 PM
Wow, what a surprise: he is an attorney who works with medical malpractice lawyers, and he helped to kill a bill limiting malpractice payouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_E._Frosh

rromeo
03-20-2011, 5:42 PM
Congrats to the MD guys.

I will note MD is worse than CA in 'specific destination'.

A traffic stop with you having even a locked, unloaded pistol is likely to go far worse in Maryland than in CA - in CA, if you're clean, you'll be on your way 10 minutes later if you're not driving a lowered purple Honda with a cracked windshield.

We're bad in CA on "types* of guns, but a lot of other gun-related situations are better than in some of the East Coast states.

Truth. I got my car impounded in a traffic stop about 15 years ago. There was a legally owned and transported pistol in my trunk. The CHP officer checked it out, then handed it to me and made me walk home. My first time LUCC was LEO ordered.

I wish Maryland would pass the reciprocity bill one of these years, but I'm not holding my breath.

Paul S
03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
As an aside here...
from the article

"The House Judiciary Committee overwhelmingly voted to squash a pair of identical bills

Hey reporter dude...it should be QUASH a pair of identical bills." :confused:

Patrick-2
03-21-2011, 5:25 AM
Frosh is worse than DeLeon, as he has bullying power. He's like a 85% Sheldon Silver on top of DeLeon.

Senator Frosh is rabidly anti-gun from a part of the state that was also rabidly liberal upper class (elite) for a long time. Now they are seeing some crime as a result of certain policies and the thought is their more genteel nature will change in due course. They have had a significant influx of people from more troubled neighborhoods due to a liberal social services view. They were a 'sanctuary' county: good patches of his county are now 40% or more immigrant (not bad in itself but it increased poverty and brought some issues with it - like gangs). That county always had enough LEOs to watch everyone's home and frankly they didn't need to do much...the budget is now breaking their back and the increase in poverty has opened the door to more crime. Gangs are a real problem now.

That said, Frosh is a nice guy in person. We talked over a meal once. He seems reasonable, but just is one of those people so sure of his views that it is useless trying to convince him otherwise. It would be like trying to tell the body of CalGuns people that "guns are only for the military and the police." So we talked other stuff.

Oh...Senator Frosh is on top of list of names to become our Senate President when our current one moves on. This is an extremely powerful position in Maryland - frankly more so than the governor. As an example, our current Senate President Mike Miller has the Senate Building named after him and he is: not dead; dying or retiring. How many legislative bodies name the chamber of power after a sitting politician who is perfectly healthy and going nowhere?

We call the current Senate President "King Mike". I went to a party he set up and the governor not only showed, but stuck around all night in homage to the King.

I wish Maryland would pass the reciprocity bill one of these years, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maryland has a reciprocity bill this year: HB-9 would add reciprocity for permit holders from our neighbor states. It is going nowhere. We have two other bills we are watching: one would make it impossible to transfer a gun to anyone who was treated for anything in the DSM in the previous five years. Had a period of depression and took a little Prozac? You're out.

National Reciprocity should make Maryland an interesting place to carry. We have no restrictions on Open Carry - that is simply a frowned-upon activity that could get your MD permit yanked. But there is no regulation on it and a federal law would let you OC here.

It is concerning, but it's also Maryland we're talking about which nearly ranks right up there with NY, NJ and CA.
I am in a way surprised that it got shot down in that state in the first place. But so far good, coming from a more anti state like MD (for now).

Opinion is subjective, but I moved from CA to MD after several years back and forth. Maryland is definitely much better for gun owners.

MD is bad for pistols, but unlike other anti states you can NFA stuff which is nice, and standard cap magazines if you buy them out of state which is nice since MD's a skinny state with free states on all 3 sides.

Absolutely. The full gamut of NFA is open to you and the only thing that requires registration is a full-auto machine gun. I have my own range on my property and the local LEOs have been supportive.

Maryland would be a practical gun-owners paradise with the recognition of a civil right to carry arms. The mag issue is annoying but would likely fall in due course. As it stands, I already have a pile of PMags from Virginia.

yellowfin
03-22-2011, 8:32 AM
Senator Frosh is rabidly anti-gun from a part of the state that was also rabidly liberal upper class (elite) for a long time.Liberalism is no excuse or reason to be anti gun.

Dreaded Claymore
03-22-2011, 9:45 AM
Liberalism is no excuse or reason to be anti gun.

TRUTH :patriot:

(seems off-topic though)

krucam
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I never thought I would be sharing this URL in California...

http://www.froshwatch.com/

He is our favorite poster boy for a rabid anti. He's on record as saying gun owners are "a bunch of Nuts".

These 2A Civil Suits can't come quick enough...

dwtt
03-22-2011, 4:15 PM

He is our favorite poster boy for a rabid anti. He's on record as saying gun owners are "a bunch of Nuts".

I never thought I would be living across the river from Md, but it has happened. Gun owners in CA, MD, and NY all share common problems caused by liberal politicians who pander to special interests. Some cross fertilization can't hurt.

Anchors
03-22-2011, 4:43 PM

These 2A Civil Suits can't come quick enough...

Damn and I used to love my summers in Maryland, D.C., and Virginia.
Of course I was 10, so I didn't know anything about gun laws there.

I really liked this video :rolleyes:
fMVa-zxN3eE