PDA

View Full Version : Washington State Patrol

arctic2
03-19-2011, 9:13 PM
From another forum. http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/wsp-jars-gun-dealers-sets-off-firestorm-atf-not-consulted

paul0660
03-19-2011, 9:21 PM
Please tell me why you think this is significant, arctic2.

MP301
03-19-2011, 9:57 PM
Please tell me why you think this is significant, arctic2.

It can affect us here would be one reason.

Whether WSP is being slimy or just misguided, they are doing it wrong and I can see how this type of thing can lead to bigger problems (for us) if not challenged.

SAF is on it!

Crom
03-19-2011, 10:06 PM
WSP, made a colossal blunder, maybe someone might loose their job over it. Let us hope that none of the dealers wasted any time volunteering the information that was illegally requested.

Window_Seat
03-19-2011, 10:29 PM
As MP301 said, and I agree and thank the OP for posting about this info.

I wonder who else at the WSP might have been scratching backs with for this to happen, and I'd be interested to be the FOTW when the WSP is asked how they expect to find their missing AR through lists of legal & lawful buyers of AR-15s and lowers.

It's a sneaky scheme of registration, and they got caught.

Erik.

BKinzey
03-19-2011, 11:57 PM
...It's a sneaky scheme of registration, and they got caught.

Erik.

What's that phrase which goes something like:

Don't mistake for evil for what can easily be explained by incompetence.

epilepticninja
03-20-2011, 1:52 AM
That was definetely some shady shizz. Thanks for the link, OP.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-20-2011, 4:47 AM
A Captain in the WSP? I wonder if it was Dr. Mauser's dad.

cdtx2001
03-20-2011, 7:43 AM
Hope none of the dealers gave up any info.

NotEnufGarage
03-20-2011, 8:14 AM

The inverse of that would be "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Mesa Tactical
03-20-2011, 10:07 AM

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-- Robert Heinlein

Smokeybehr
03-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I would have sent a letter back to the WSP asking them for their fishing license, since that's exactly what they're doing. No subpoena, no records.

MP301
03-20-2011, 8:17 PM
I would have sent a letter back to the WSP asking them for their fishing license, since that's exactly what they're doing. No subpoena, no records.
:D He said fishing license! hahah

Quser.619
03-21-2011, 7:34 PM
This blog (http://blog.joehuffman.org/2011/03/20/TellUsAllYourAR15Purchasers.aspx) actually has a copy of one of the letters. Lord knows this is not a precedent anyone would like to see set without seriously being questioned

Untamed1972
03-22-2011, 8:16 AM
Seems pretty ridiculous.

If the WSP really is searching for a stolen dept. rifle then they should have the serial number. All they should have needed to ask is that dealers check to see if they sold or a received a rifle with that serial number and if they did the details of THAT transfer only.....there is ZERO need for them to have all the personal info of EVERY rifle sold or received during that period.

jccam
03-22-2011, 8:32 AM
Thanks to arctic2 for posting this.

This is a good reminder about just how far we have come. If they had pulled this stunt 30 or 40 years ago, how many dealers would have gone along with it? How much of the general public would have thought this was reasonable and OK?

The most amazing thing about the story is not the audacity of the request (such things will happen as far as we let them...like a dog "testing" its owner)---the best thing is the excellent response from the dealers and their legislators. The tide has turned in this country regarding the 2A. Citizens are standing up for it.