PDA

View Full Version : What to do if your gun gets stolen?

Fishyguy777
03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
My gun is not stolen but I know what to know just in case. What is the process if this were to ever happen?

jdg30
03-19-2011, 10:17 AM
File a report with the sheriff/police department as soon as possible.

Baconator
03-19-2011, 10:19 AM
It's good too if you have an inventory of your weapons with serial numbers and pictures so they have that info. If someone steals your gun and you don't know the serial number, there is no way it will ever be found.

SixPointEight
03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
It's good too if you have an inventory of your weapons with serial numbers and pictures so they have that info. If someone steels your gun and you don't know the serial number, there is no way it will ever be returned.

They may be found, and scrapped.

toby
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
First you can kick yourself in the arse for leaving it where it could be stolen!... then file a report and then go shopping for a new one.

ninjawho?
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
round up a posse...get a rope....
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/community/blogosphere/wp-content/uploads/Shelley/nsw_posse_03906.jpg

tacgunner530
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
unfortunately i have gone through the agony of a robbery, in which my glock 23, ruger 10/22, and winchester 30-30 lever action was ripped off. yes i did kick myself in the arse for not having a safe (something i have since remedied). first thing to do is call the police, tell them what happened, give them descriptions of the firearms, serial numbers, etc. & pray that they find them. i actually got my glock 23 back, amazingly enough! some dude got pulled over by the po-po about 200 miles south of where i live, inside they found drugs, paraphernalia, and my glock! lesson learned, lock up your guns!!!

Fishyguy777
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
It's good too if you have an inventory of your weapons with serial numbers and pictures so they have that info. If someone steals your gun and you don't know the serial number, there is no way it will ever be found.

Thanks, that sounds like a good ideal to take photos of my gun and serial number.

unfortunately i have gone through the agony of a robbery, in which my glock 23, ruger 10/22, and winchester 30-30 lever action was ripped off. yes i did kick myself in the arse for not having a safe (something i have since remedied). first thing to do is call the police, tell them what happened, give them descriptions of the firearms, serial numbers, etc. & pray that they find them. i actually got my glock 23 back, amazingly enough! some dude got pulled over by the po-po about 200 miles south of where i live, inside they found drugs, paraphernalia, and my glock! lesson learned, lock up your guns!!!

What is a good safe to get (brand)? Range about 200-400. Can 400 get me a safe that is heavy where they cannot carry it during a robbery?

theneko
03-19-2011, 12:57 PM
take a look at the safes forum. I only have one safe so I am no expert but I think you need to save more and get a larger/better one. The cheaper safes with walls < 12 gauge will be easier to get into and you will grow out of it fast. Save a little money and do a little research to get something that will last you a long time.

WWDHD?
03-19-2011, 1:05 PM
$400 won't get you much new. Costco has a safe for $399 including shipping right now. Safes like this can be stolen from your house and opened up somewhere else so hide it and bolt it down if you can. The good thing about safes like this is that if your planning to move its easy to take with you. Sounds like you need something now to protect your shoot'n irons, don't just hide them somewhere a crook or nosy kid can find them. Whatever you buy make sure its CA DOJ approved.

Baconator
03-19-2011, 1:07 PM
We had a shotgun stolen in the 70's from my grandparents house returned to us in 2005 or 06 when it was recovered during a gang sweep.

Quiet
03-19-2011, 2:23 PM
File a report with the sheriff/police department as soon as possible.

^This.

Then contact NRA to submit a gun theft claim (free $2500 gun theft insurance for being a NRA member), so you can get some money to replace your firearm(s) that were stolen.

Revoman
03-19-2011, 2:33 PM
I thought that any stolen firearm must be reported to the local police within 24 hours.

There was a mix up at the range last year and someone took my shottie instead of theirs. When I phoned the sheriff within the hour, they told me that a report must be made within 24 hours. I'm surmising that anything that might happen such as murder or robbery, that you may be partially liable for not reporting in time.

FUD??

den888
03-19-2011, 2:56 PM
Call the police and file a report.

blakdawg
03-19-2011, 3:15 PM
$400 is not going to buy you a safe that's too heavy to move, although you could help a little bit if you put a few cases of ammo in there. You absolutely should bolt it to the floor or into studs in the wall, that will help a lot.

The bottom line is that the safe isn't a guarantee against theft, but it's a good start.

Also, you know how people get all pissy about the difference between "clips" and "magazines" - there's also a meaningful difference between "theft" and "robbery", the latter implying that something was taken from a person. If someone breaks into your house while you're at work and takes your stuff, that's theft (and burglary). If someone puts a gun to your head and says "give me your wallet", that's (armed) robbery.

Oceanbob
03-19-2011, 3:25 PM
Along with any paperwork. Lately (the last 5 years ) I keep a copy of my receipt and DROS as well.

SPEND the money for a good Safe. It will cost you $750 for a larger one. Get it now. Thru bolt it to the FLOOR. Drape a cover over it with a lamp on top.
Never let neighborhood people in on your hobby of shooting and collecting arms.

Get some home owners or renters insurance; put your weapons on the policy. The agent might require proof of a safe however.

I have two safes now.

bartt
03-19-2011, 3:29 PM
FYI on the safe.. You can get a small (12 cuft) liberty safe at Lowes for about 4 bones. For the money it's pretty nice. They don't show them online though, you have to go in to see them.
HTH

Bill Carson
03-19-2011, 3:36 PM
I thought that any stolen firearm must be reported to the local police within 24 hours.

There was a mix up at the range last year and someone took my shottie instead of theirs. When I phoned the sheriff within the hour, they told me that a report must be made within 24 hours. I'm surmising that anything that might happen such as murder or robbery, that you may be partially liable for not reporting in time.

FUD??

Pure FUD. You are not legally required to report anything stolen except children.

Anchors
03-19-2011, 3:37 PM
Thanks for posting this, I need to update my picture/serial number collection and add my Garand to my bound book.

Been putting it off.

Pure FUD. You are not legally required to report anything stolen except children.

I believe LA and maybe SF have local ordinances which require you to report any registered gun stolen within a certain time frame.
Though the Constitutional aspects of these laws has come into question on here several times.

IPSICK
03-19-2011, 4:04 PM
Thanks for posting this, I need to update my picture/serial number collection and add my Garand to my bound book.

Been putting it off.

I believe LA and maybe SF have local ordinances which require you to report any registered gun stolen within a certain time frame.
Though the Constitutional aspects of these laws has come into question on here several times.

I thought there was a CA law that required reporting stolen firearms within a certain time frame.

RollingCode3
03-19-2011, 4:15 PM
Join the NRA for 35 bucks a year. They have firearm insurances (included with the membership) that cover up to $2500 if your gun ever get stolen.

Fishyguy777
03-19-2011, 4:26 PM
I figured that $400 wont get me a good enough safe. I'll probably get a $100 safe for now and then when I save some more money, Ill buy the bigger ones.

Thanks for the info about NRA, gonna join right now.

xxINKxx
03-19-2011, 4:36 PM
I figured that $400 wont get me a good enough safe. I'll probably get a $100 safe for now and then when I save some more money, Ill buy the bigger ones.

Thanks for the info about NRA, gonna join right now.

Home depot sells sentry gun safes for under 400$..Pretty decent brand IMO

I got one for my small condo closet (14 gun safe model) It was around $350and its CA DOJ approved. May not be the best out there but hey its better then nothing and you can bolt it to the ground too..

This topic came up about an hour ago with my family. Was talking to them saying how I need to write down the info for all my guns incase something gets stolen. Gotta do that soon.

NOTARPilot
03-19-2011, 4:41 PM
I know this is a little off topic but....What should I do if my shoe lace comes untied? ;);)

Bill Carson
03-20-2011, 1:24 PM

Been putting it off.

Statute number ??

Bill Carson
03-20-2011, 1:24 PM
I thought there was a CA law that required reporting stolen firearms within a certain time frame.

Statute number ??

Bill Carson
03-20-2011, 1:30 PM
from the enemy....http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/CA/

tools2teach
03-20-2011, 2:25 PM
I'm a NRA member, but is there a insurance plan out there that I could get that will cover the cost of all my firearms?

They are assets that need to be protected beyond a safe even with the thickest of grade steel.

tools2teach
03-20-2011, 2:29 PM
Nevermind, Oceanbob answered my question earlier in the thread. I should read before asking the question. My bad.

CALI-gula
03-20-2011, 2:33 PM
My gun is not stolen but I know what to know just in case. What is the process if this were to ever happen?

First....

Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husbands too....

...Run tell THAT!

INJUNTOM
03-20-2011, 3:30 PM
I had one stolen out of my office a couple years ago. I expected that they would come over here and interrogate me, take fingerprints of the area, and maybe even act as if I did something shady with it.

Instead, they sent a community service officer who did none of that. I was kinda disappointed that they didn't fingerprint or something....as if they didn't care where it went.

Now I have the occasional thought of getting shot with my own gun during a robbery, etc, but I do believe that it really ended up in mexico.

LBDamned
03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I keep seeing the term "robbery" being used... I'm sure it's meant to be "burglary".

If it was robbery your guns are doing you absolutely no good.

Then again, I'm the guy that gets miffed when I read/hear "clips" instead of mags... and "prison" instead of jail (cant count the number of times I heard the news say Lindsay Lohan went to prison)

tools2teach
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
If there was a burglary on an firearm, shouldn't the ATF be notified, since it's registered in your name? I'd be afraid if a crime was committed using the firearm with your name on it.

whipkiller
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
FYI on the safe.. You can get a small (12 cuft) liberty safe at Lowes for about 4 bones. For the money it's pretty nice. They don't show them online though, you have to go in to see them.
HTH

I just bought this safe from Lowe's yesterday. $427.00 Liberty Centurion Model # CE12-BK
They have the 20 cubic foot model for $727.00

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=410396

*Bonus* If you open a new Lowe's credit card today, you get 18 months no interest to pay it off.

I know these small safes (265 lbs., I think) can be carried off, but I put it in my house (using a hand truck, with the safe being empty) and it ain't gonna' be all that easy.

I will still be bolting it to the floor in the corner of my closet. If a burgalar carries my stuff away, at least he'll be leaving with a hernia or a strained back.

mugiwara
03-21-2011, 1:00 PM
If there was a burglary on an firearm, shouldn't the ATF be notified, since it's registered in your name? I'd be afraid if a crime was committed using the firearm with your name on it.

how would they know what weapon was used? around here, its very, very rare that shootings/armed robberies are even reported, let alone solved.

Bigdaa
03-21-2011, 2:25 PM

Keep this info where it cannot be found by "authorities"

It is for YOUR benefit, not THEIRS if you catch my meaning.