PDA

View Full Version : Colt rimfire 22lr

jkonquer
03-19-2011, 2:28 AM
So i just picked up my first Colt 22lr rimfire opsec. this gun is probably the best quality and realistic 22lr replica ar-15's out there.
However everything is good except the magazine. maybe it is the california 10rd magazine, but this thing is damn near impossible to take off. especially when quickly swapping out the magazine.
i did spray some lub and it did help a bit. but not by much.

just wondering if everyone is having this issue with 10rd magazine or just me.

ClayW
03-19-2011, 8:01 PM
We get a lot of those coming through work, I don't think I've seen one yet that will drop a magazine just by pressing the magazine release, you always have to use a little tugging to get it out. How difficult is it?

Quiet
03-19-2011, 8:10 PM
The Colt licensed Umarex (airsoft/bb gun company) to make it.
In turn, Umarex used the experts at Walther (which they own) to help make it.
Euros do not like "drop free" magazine designs.

H&K licensed Umarex to make a .22LR of the HK416.
Umarex took all the compliants about the Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR and took them to Walther, who then made changes to address those complaints.
Umarex then applied those changes to the .22LR HK416.

H&K/Umarex HK416 .22LR = product improved Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR.

iamchrispartida
03-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I held both of these at TURNER'S today, and the HK felt great. Didn't notice a feisty magazine though, in any of them. Good info (below).

The Colt licensed Umarex (airsoft/bb gun company) to make it.
In turn, Umarex used the experts at Walther (which they own) to help make it.
Euros do not like "drop free" magazine designs.

H&K licensed Umarex to make a .22LR of the HK416.
Umarex took all the compliants about the Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR and took them to Walther, who then made changes to address those complaints.
Umarex then applied those changes to the .22LR HK416.

H&K/Umarex HK416 .22LR = product improved Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR.

Excelsior
03-20-2011, 12:41 AM
So i just picked up my first Colt 22lr rimfire opsec. this gun is probably the best quality and realistic 22lr replica ar-15's out there.
However everything is good except the magazine. maybe it is the california 10rd magazine, but this thing is damn near impossible to take off. especially when quickly swapping out the magazine.
i did spray some lub and it did help a bit. but not by much.

just wondering if everyone is having this issue with 10rd magazine or just me.
I don't think that's true. They feel "loose" to me and the ones I have shot were not as accurate the S&W or the SIG 522.

jkonquer
03-20-2011, 8:32 AM
as far as most realistic copy goes. i think colt takes the cake. ofcourse that doesn't mean its better. Rifleman did a test on 22LR and some of the best as far as accuracy was the S&W and colt and 522 with similar results. For me i just didn't like the polymer body on a rifle.

I tried to mess around with the magazine today. and i notice that it was much easier if you pull the magazine straight down, i mean Straight down. lol

jackandblood
03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
ive had mine for awhile. Mag wont gravity drop but comes off easily. but hey, its a .22lr, whats really cool is you can load each mag in seconds, and without any possible deformation of 22lr relatively soft bullet come rd. 10

jackandblood
03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
as far as most realistic copy goes. i think colt takes the cake. ofcourse that doesn't mean its better. Rifleman did a test on 22LR and some of the best as far as accuracy was the S&W and colt and 522 with similar results. For me i just didn't like the polymer body on a rifle.

I tried to mess around with the magazine today. and i notice that it was much easier if you pull the magazine straight down, i mean Straight down. lol

The flashhider that centers the inner barrel to the rest of the rifle can become loose after you've field stripped the m4 rimfire. You can crank down on the flash hider as the threads are robust, but I prefer not to. i apply a dab of superglue on the male threads. not sure about locktite or teflon tape given heat after hundreds of rds. just a heads up for new m4 rimfire owners.

Mamluke
03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
ive had mine for awhile. Mag wont gravity drop but comes off easily. but hey, its a .22lr, whats really cool is you can load each mag in seconds, and without any possible deformation of 22lr relatively soft bullet come rd. 10

The mags are a tight fit at first, after a few reloads; they'll do the gravity drop with ease. I keep the mag sleeve clean, but not oiled! From my experience with both the M4 and HK416; these rifles do not like a lot of gun oil.
My 2 cents... :D

jkonquer
03-20-2011, 11:56 AM
yeah i used the dry rem oil. so it should be ok.

as far as the "flashhider" are u referring to the flash suppressor on the front of the barrel? I was able to field strip without loosening the flash suppressor. i wonder if it makes difference

jackandblood
03-20-2011, 7:12 PM
hmm. goto the official site and watch their videos. They recommend loosening the muzzle accessory prior to punching out the main pin. its in the manual as well. there have been instances of damage to the outer receiver shell when this procedure is not followed.

L4D
03-20-2011, 7:19 PM
Mine drop free. Check to see if your trigger guard is hanging up the. You could sand the mags where ever you find the tight spot.

chucksolo69
03-22-2011, 2:19 PM
I have the SIG, GSG-5 and the Colt M4. All are quite accurate. Depends on the shooter really. On my three examples each will cut the center out of a target at 25 yards scoped. The Colt will do it with open sights. I'm sure the S&W is just as accurate, but to say it is more accurate than the Colt is baloney.

M4rk
03-24-2011, 7:20 PM
i had an option of choosing either the colt M4 or the HK416. the Hk was 150$ more, and the dealer said that the pistol grip feels better, and the buttstock is better. but then again he said that the M4 will be a classic, they will stop production and will be a hard to get item in the future, rite after he said that... i had to go with the M4.

Mamluke
03-24-2011, 7:24 PM
i had an option of choosing either the colt M4 or the HK416. the Hk was 150$ more, and the dealer said that the pistol grip feels better, and the buttstock is better. but then again he said that the M4 will be a classic, they will stop production and will be a hard to get item in the future, rite after he said that... i had to go with the M4.

What a salesman that guy was; he probably had more M4 on hand and so he's pushing that first... Just kidding lol...lol...:43:

Congrats, I had the M4, loved it...and now I have the H&K... a bit heavier; but they're both great rifles.... enjoy!...:cool:

M4rk
03-24-2011, 7:28 PM
What a salesman that guy was; he probably had more M4 on hand and so he's pushing that first... Just kidding lol...lol...:43:

Congrats, I had the M4, loved it...and now I have the H&K... a bit heavier; but they're both great rifles.... enjoy!...:cool:

haha thanx! but ya... he was actually pushing me to go with the HK. maybe later on i will buy it, but rite now.. im tryin to get a mossberg 500 pursuader. :D