PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Duck hunting protester shot

77bawls
03-18-2011, 8:28 PM
I guess she shouldn't have been in front of people shooting.

The comments are mind boggling.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/duck-protester-shot/story-e6frf7jo-1226024497084

ojisan
03-18-2011, 8:30 PM
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

safewaysecurity
03-18-2011, 8:35 PM
I feel worse for the boy. She was standing in the line of fire and now that kid is going to have that on his mind for the rest of his life.

c20rj
03-18-2011, 8:57 PM
Brilliance on the the part of the protester, lets get in the water with the duckies and save them. If she wants to protest fine, she has that right but dont make it a suicide mission!

Rudolf the Red
03-18-2011, 9:06 PM
Rachel Corrie lives on!

safewaysecurity
03-18-2011, 9:28 PM
Wow this is SAD. Alot of people think duck hunting should be banned.... this is the road America will go down if we don't fight the good fight.

krushem2000
03-18-2011, 9:35 PM

duh and looks like she wasn't expected to be shot at.

Lone_Gunman
03-18-2011, 9:40 PM
Hippies, for the most part, are stupid.

mdhpper
03-18-2011, 9:41 PM
I bet she won't try that again.

IrishPirate
03-18-2011, 9:47 PM
Almost as dumb as swimming with seals off the CA coast......:rolleyes:

Where are all the people who claim bird shot is sufficient HD ammo???

API
03-18-2011, 9:47 PM
Did ya notice the poll results? :eek: Doesn't look like a very hunter friendly place to start with. Don't think I'll be planning any duck hunting trips to Australia soon. :no:

hntnnut
03-18-2011, 9:49 PM
Theres a poll to the left, lets help them turn it around.

IrishPirate
I think I'm going to start selling "Protester Stamps" to duck hunters in Australia

mosinnagantm9130
That's intelligent, wading into a firing line....

Cokebottle
03-18-2011, 9:50 PM
Keep your eyes open for a posting in the comments section from Burke Jager (burke is a synonym for "duck"... though not the waterfowl)

repubconserv
Why do these people have to make gun owners look bad? Why can't they wander out into traffic during rush hour?

FatCity67
AGAIN?!?

Damn it will someone take that shotgun away from Cheney.

Scratch705
03-18-2011, 9:52 PM
she is an idiot.

dieselpower
03-18-2011, 9:56 PM
Did you read some of the other stories.......

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/british-woman-bites-off-boyfriends-testicles/story-e6frf7lf-1226023632123

ouch

nick
03-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Controversial duck hunting season?

WDE91
03-18-2011, 10:03 PM
kinky :26: :winkiss:

beauregard
Dick Cheney was well disguised this time.

nick

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/british-woman-bites-off-boyfriends-testicles/story-e6frf7lf-1226023632123

ouch

Par for the course with the other article.

Mendo223
03-18-2011, 10:10 PM
hahaha that front page pic is hillarious. someone needs to photoshop a giant FAIL under it.

seriously, she is lacking something in the brain department.

i love duck, just thinking about some nice roast duck and that fluffy bread that gets served with it at the chinese spot....oh yummy.

Mendo223
03-18-2011, 10:11 PM
this thread reminds me i havent had Peking duck in the longest time, probably 2 years. gotta get me some soon..i love how the skin is so crispy...
http://newyork.seriouseats.com/images/20080701-pekingduck.jpg
http://www.thehightea.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Peking-Duck-Wonton-Gourmet1.jpg
http://www.foodnut.com/i/Great-Eastern-San-Francisco/Great-Eastern-Restaurant-San-Francisco-Peking-Duck.jpg

wjc
03-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Brilliance on the the part of the protester, lets get in the water with the duckies and save them. If she wants to protest fine, she has that right but dont make it a suicide mission!

Actually, in California they have the opportunity to be cited.

2009. (a) A person shall not willfully interfere with the
participation of any individual in the lawful activity of shooting,
hunting, fishing, falconry, hunting dog field trials, hunting dog
training, or trapping at the location where that activity is taking
place.

<snipped the rest for brevity>

SickofSoCal
03-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Rachel Corrie lives on!

Dude, that's not cool.

Helpful_Cub
03-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Theres a poll to the left, lets help them turn it around.

We're wining by 7% now.

Kala
03-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to go standing around in the firing line? She must have been completely stoned... Hopefully, the shooter wasn't too traumatized by the experience.
:18:

maderashooter
03-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I say stuff her whole house full of ducks and see if she gets the ides of culling the herd they are not so cute women trying to Peck you to death

MP301
03-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Actually, in California they have the opportunity to be cited.

2009. (a) A person shall not willfully interfere with the
participation of any individual in the lawful activity of shooting,
hunting, fishing, falconry, hunting dog field trials, hunting dog
training, or trapping at the location where that activity is taking
place.

<snipped the rest for brevity>

Wow, is this what a "Common Sense" gun law really means???

First 3 comments...hahaha

Have your say
Skip to:Read comments (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/#comments-list)Add comments (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/#comments-form)
Comments on this story

LC of Melbourne Posted at 6:45 PM Today Pras, essentially that's already what's going on. Hasn't stopped a single criminal buying and using a gun.

The Von of Port Melbourne Posted at 6:45 PM Today Perhaps shooting duck protesters should be banned. I'm not sure the dogs are trained to retrieve them.

Quackgolfer of erewhon Posted at 6:44 PM Today I wish someone would come and shoot a few ducks at my golf club.

Should duck shooting be banned?

Thanks for voting!

Yes 49.66% (957 votes)
No 50.34% (970 votes)
Total votes: 1927

oni.dori
03-19-2011, 1:03 AM
Something almost makes methinks it was planned all along...

And so far, only 2 of the posts I read were inane and utterly ignorant (probably from people associated with her and/or PETA); although, admittedly, I didn't read very far.

tankerman
03-19-2011, 6:34 AM

ouch

A BRITISH man had surgery to reattach his testicles after his girlfriend allegedly bit them off, the Daily Mirror has reported....but, but, but, the English are so civilized.

beauregard
03-19-2011, 7:43 AM

Never has this been so apt. What a stupid woman, stupid and lucky she only lost a tooth.

lewdogg21
03-19-2011, 8:23 AM
So in looking at the photos you have to be "pretty close" to be wounded. I'd say within 80 yards but not less than 50 b/c the shot essentially just dented the skin. While it's great PR for these anti's if this was planned this lady should wade out into the marsh again and drown for her stupidity.

I'm a big duck hunter and seeing this "it needs to be banned" is an eye opener since our left leaning friends seem to think Europe and other countries are more enlightened and we need to follow their lead. Thankfully anti's couldn't claim that ducks are endangered here in CA but that didn't stop them from putting forth the same argument on Mountain lions and that worked.

Paul_R
03-19-2011, 9:58 AM
I wonder if the Kid's related to Dick Cheney? :D

Seriously though, I can see how she could be mistaken for a duck....F'n bird brain!

bluestaterebel
03-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Damn Protesters

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/maverick_01/wabbit-season.jpg

taperxz
03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
It's truly amazing what a lonsome hen call will bring in.

krushem2000
03-19-2011, 8:09 PM

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Cokebottle
03-19-2011, 8:55 PM
I say stuff her whole house full of ducks and see if she gets the ides of culling the herd they are not so cute women trying to Peck you to death
I was thinking that the ducks' beaks were the only peckers she's seen in a while :D

77bawls
03-20-2011, 2:01 AM
Controversial duck hunting season?

Apparently it's their first season in 10 years or something. :rolleyes:

...but, but, but, the English are so civilized.

He probably farted while she was right there. :D

Shoot-it
03-20-2011, 9:59 AM
I thought we had all the not jobs save the animal types over here.those people are so stupid duck rescue while they are hunting how stupid can they be.

She deserves that.

John-Melb
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Everyone needs to be reminded that the Herald Sun is totally opposed to the private ownership and use of firearms and has been for many years.

I once had a Herald Sun journalist describe material from "the Sporting Shooter's Association of Anywhere" as "tainted".

This isn't about ducks, if they ban duck hunting, that's 22,000 Victorians who no longer have a "genuine reason" to hold a firearms licence or own guns. If they ban duck hunting on the basis of "cruelty", they can ban all hunting on the same basis. That's a couple of hundred thousand more Victorians who no longer have a "genuine reason" to own a gun.

Welcome to the modern Australia.

whatmeworry
03-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Add my vote to the poll. 59% against the ban

77bawls
03-21-2011, 1:47 AM
This isn't about ducks, if they ban duck hunting, that's 22,000 Victorians who no longer have a "genuine reason" to hold a firearms licence or own guns. If they ban duck hunting on the basis of "cruelty", they can ban all hunting on the same basis. That's a couple of hundred thousand more Victorians who no longer have a "genuine reason" to own a gun.

Welcome to the modern Australia.

Insanity. :eek:

rod
03-21-2011, 4:44 AM
That's why I hunt gators in Mississippi. You never see any protesters in the swamp. If there were any, I didn't see them, and I didn't hear anyone complain about them.

coyotebait
03-21-2011, 7:23 AM
I bet she won't try that again.

Oh, I bet she will

bruceflinch
03-21-2011, 8:53 AM
Per the video, "First accident in 25 years of protesting"!

Dang People, give it a rest! Does the ducks population seem to be getting scarce yet? What a Maroon!

shy 7th
03-21-2011, 9:52 AM
Now, I'm not defending her incredible stupidity, but what was that kid doing with his finger on the trigger with someone downrange?

Maybe she was hiding in the reeds?

Also, can someone explain the duck hunting process for me. My only experience duck hunting is on the nintendo. Do you shoot them on the water or do you shoot them from the air? Do ducks just naturally fly low (hence why he would be aiming low enough to hit her in the face)? Shooting them on the water just doesn't sound sporting at all.

John-Melb
03-21-2011, 4:28 PM
This media release is from Field and Game
--------------------------------
The Herald Sun is just a Bully
The Herald newspaper group is having to back pedal quickly after its Sunday paper leveled disgraceful accusations against a 14 year old boy.
The Sunday Herald Sun accused the boy of shooting a duck protester in the face at Lake Buloke during the opening day of the 2011 Duck Season.
Printing his picture on the front page and again on page four and page 76, the Herald Sun cast aside all vestiges of editorial standards and decency.
Field and Game Australia CEO Rod Drew has called on the paper to make a full and unreserved apology to the young boy and his family.
“The Herald newspaper needs to censure the three journalists who made numerous appalling errors in their coverage of the incident,” said Mr Drew.
“Today the Herald Sun is reporting statements by the Donald Police that ‘The young boy has been a little bit hard done by the media and denies firing’.
“As expected though the newspaper stops short of apologising for the disgusting manner in which it attacked the youngster – this newspaper is just a bully and should be treated as such,” said Mr Drew.
This lad hadn’t fired a shot for over an hour and should be praised for keeping a cool head and polite approach to what was a disgraceful act on the part of the protesters. As
tempers flared and police were called, he simply unloaded his shotgun and waited for the kerfuffle to subside and calm heads to prevail.
Police and Wildlife Officers whisked the lad out of the lake and the protest area and questioned him at length about the incident. He was brought back to his family and
friends later in the day and had his shotgun returned to him the next morning.
“I think we could all agree that no one wants to be treated the way the Herald Sun treated this boy,” said Mr Drew.
“Everyone concerned was impressed with his mature approach to the processes being followed by police and wildlife officers. Nevertheless it was also obvious to everyone who spoke to him afterwards that the experience was upsetting and embarrassing and he was very concerned for the safety of the injured protester,” said Mr Drew.
For further

stix213
03-21-2011, 5:12 PM
So did the boy not even fire the shot???

John-Melb
03-21-2011, 5:19 PM
So did the boy not even fire the shot???

He's saying he didn't, he hadn't fired for an hour when the incident took place, and it appears the his gun was unloaded at the time. The Police cannot find anyone who actually saw him shoot, contrary to what was published by the Herald Sun.

Typical greenie bullsh**, blame the nearest "easy mark"

Diesel-Gunner
03-21-2011, 5:20 PM
Its like protesters for emmisions walking around on the Interstate and wondering why they get hit by a car...

Poor kid, I hope he go's out again. I heard that you can only shoot 1 red hat a season in Australia.

esnyderr
03-21-2011, 5:41 PM
HAHA this comment is a good one!

Pras Posted at 12:04 PM March 19, 2011

Use of Guns by civilians should be banned and made illegal ...for obvious reasons!!!!

John-Melb
03-21-2011, 5:57 PM
From the Weekly Times at

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2011/03/21/308975_latest-news.html

Teen denies shooting duck hunt protester
Sarah Scopelianos | March 21, 2011 EXCLUSIVE: THE teenage boy blamed for shooting a duck hunting protester at Donald on Saturday denies making the shot.

The 14-year-old from Melbourne has told police he and his uncle, who was standing near him, had not fired any shots for about an hour before protester Julia Symons was hit in the face with 10 pellets.

Should duck hunting be banned? Have Your Say in the form below

The incident on Lake Buloke, about 12km east of Donald, happened about 9.20am on the opening day of Victoria's duck hunting season.

Sgt Jeremy Cook, of Donald police, said the investigation into the incident was continuing.

"From the witness statements so far . . . no one sees him shoot," Sgt Cook said.

"They see him in the vicinity, in the water.

"The young boy has been a little bit hard done by the media and denies firing."

Sgt Cook said another hunter in a boat in the area was grabbed by protesters also claiming he had shot Ms Symons.

He said protesters were not permitted in the water before 10am and had committed an offence under the Wildlife Act.

Ms Symons is yet to make a statement to police.

She was carried from the water with pellets in her face and missing a tooth.

Police are calling for witnesses to phone Donald police on (03) 5497 1530.

77bawls
03-21-2011, 7:15 PM
Shooting them on the water just doesn't sound sporting at all.

I could care less if it's "sporting" or not. I'm doing it to put food on my table.

John-Melb
03-22-2011, 2:48 PM
Rumour has it that the three "journalists" who wrote the original article may be finding themselve sitting in front of the Judiciary Committee of the Australian Journalists Assocation.

Something to do with the Journalists "Code of Ethics".

Ethics and Journalists, hell, who'd of thought it?

sargenv
03-22-2011, 2:58 PM
Also, can someone explain the duck hunting process for me.Generally, you sit either hidden by a blind made up of reeds/cover, or some kind of camoflage. Some people pass shoot, others utilize a duck call and floating decoys.. When ducks fly within a few hundred yards, you usually get on the call and try several different calls to try to convince them that they want to land in your spread.. if you are good enough, or if the ducks are not that experienced (ie were hatched that year), you may be successful in getting them to respond to your call. I try to get them to what I call "locked up for landing, feet down" before popping up and opening fire.. if I am successful, the dog has something to go "fetch", if I miss or they flare away, I try again to call them back, sometimes it works, other times the dog looks at me with a quizzical look that pretty much says, "You idiot, why did you miss?".

If these people were within range to be peppered, it is likely there were no ducks working since there were people keeping them from taking a look at your spread..

Can'thavenuthingood
03-22-2011, 9:04 PM
Getting better numbers now.

Yes 39.91% (5305 votes)
No 60.09% (7989 votes)

Total votes: 13294

'ol shooter
03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
The Aussies have become as big weenies as their Brit relatives. What a shame...

Joe
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
They should ban protesting at duck hunts

Draankol
03-23-2011, 6:02 AM

This. amen

ubet
03-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Shes now proof, stupid DOES hurt!

robcoe
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Only one I feel sorry for in this is the kid. Seriously, this protester wadded into an area where people were firing SHOTGUNS loaded with birdshot. It's not like this was a rifle where the danger is all in a 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide line extending from the end of gun to wherever it hits, these are 100s of small pieces of lead traveling at high speed DESIGNED to spread out.

robcoe
03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Shes now proof, stupid DOES hurt!

Not enough, and not often enough.

iskra31
03-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Its like protesters for emmisions walking around on the Interstate and wondering why they get hit by a car...

Poor kid, I hope he go's out again. I heard that you can only shoot 1 red hat a season in Australia.

Protest nuclear energy at the nuclear plant in Japan and wonder why you got cancer? :shrug:

Zdiddy
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
i guess she forgot to duck.

John-Melb
04-03-2011, 1:06 AM
Sunday Herald Sun clarification
ON MARCH 20, 2011 the Sunday Herald Sun published an article about the accidental shooting of a duck protester at Lake Buloke the previous day.

The story included photographs of a 14-year-old boy who the Sunday Herald Sun said had fired the shot and taunted the victim.

The 14-year-old has since contacted the Sunday Herald Sun and informed us that he did not fire the shot or taunt the victim.

We acknowledge his version of events and unreservedly apologise to the boy for any hurt or embarrassment that the article caused

===============================

Ha Ha Ha Ha.................

TNP'R
04-03-2011, 1:46 AM
See what bird shot does to someone? If that was buckshot she would have no face.

HalfMeltingEyes
04-03-2011, 2:11 AM
She's lucky she didn't lose an eye... or both...

Merc1138
04-03-2011, 2:16 AM
See what bird shot does to someone? If that was buckshot she would have no face.

You mean that I shouldn't rely on something designed to kill a 15 pound bird and do as little damage to it as possible, in my home defense shotgun to use in a SHTEOTROL(**** hit the end of the rule of law) scenario? :eek:

;)

Sunday
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
People also get run over by trains as well. 1 less dummy in the gene pool.

Merc1138
04-03-2011, 1:26 PM
People also get run over by trains as well. 1 less dummy in the gene pool.

I guess you didn't read the article? She's still in the gene pool. Possible future darwin award winner though.

hunteran
04-03-2011, 1:42 PM
Dude, that's not cool.

I know, at least Rachel Corrie actually did the world a favor and died...

usedto
04-03-2011, 1:49 PM
Sorry, folks, but I think the boy needs to take his share of the blame.

He should have been using hi-base.

John-Melb
04-15-2011, 3:27 AM
Received a reply today which read in part:

"As you would know, journalist members of the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance commit to abide by a code of ethics in their day to day work. The Ethics Panel of the Alliance can investigate any matter that alleges a member of the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance emplyed or acting in journalism, has actde contrary to our Code of Ethics.

Unfortunately Hamish Heard, Mitchell Toy and Jon Kaila are not members of the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance, and this matter is not able to be investigated by the Ethics Panel."
So, the "Journalists" responsible for writing this trash are not members of the relevant professional association.

Doesn't that speak volumes

resident-shooter
04-15-2011, 7:54 AM
You cover the duck with your face, you get lead in your face. Pretty straight forward if you ask me.

nbkvig2
04-15-2011, 8:04 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/photo-gallery/gallery-e6frf94x-1226024727613?page=7

this has pictures of both the teenage boy and the idiot..just skim through the 10 pictures.

mif_slim
04-15-2011, 8:32 AM
Almost as dumb as swimming with seals off the CA coast......:rolleyes:

Where are all the people who claim bird shot is sufficient HD ammo???

7 pellets out of 190~ means it wasnt a direct shot or it was a VERY far shot.

Anyways, too bad it had to happen, but those protesters are idiots. Hunters give back more to the enviorment then protesters who sit in the streets and yell all day.

Stonewalker
04-15-2011, 9:33 AM
Keep in mind this is Australia. But dear lord the comments are funny. This one takes the cake -

What's wrong with these people that they feel the need to shoot any animals? Can't they buy farmed protien like modern civilised humans? Surely we've progressed beyond inflicting unnecessary harm on wild ducks, or have these "blokes" got some small problem they want to hide by flaunting their shotguns and carrying on like a bunch of brainless and heartless rednecks. Evolve people, for the good of all!

He's serious. He seriously thinks "farmed protein" is more humane than hunting. What a smug dumb bastard.

Colt-45
04-15-2011, 9:36 AM
Hippies, for the most part, are ALL stupid.

Fixed that for ya. :D