PDA

View Full Version : Damn Retaining Pin!!!!

Nefarious
10-23-2006, 6:24 AM
Picked up my SKS on Saturday, get home to de-cosmo - the woman watching, asking how much longer it will be before she can shoot it :D

Strip her down (the SKS, not the woman), attempt to remove the firing retaining pin.. and man that sucker is stuck in there good. I put the bolt back into a scalding bucket of water in hopes it would loosen the sucker up... no joy. Soak in Mineral Spirits...no joy. Put that bad boy in the oven - whats that stock doing in there hehe - no joy. Ok well the oven did loosen it up a little.. but it took me 4 damn hours just to push it out a little tiny bit. I swear ive gone from trying to tap it out.. to hitting that damn thing with hatred. Today... the pin will be mine... ohh yes... it will be mine. I swear im going to end up damaging the bolt body before I take that damn thing completly out!!

moulton
10-23-2006, 6:26 AM
get to small pieces of wood and get a flathead screwdriver with a star patten and pound it in the retaining pin hole with a hammer, having the bolt susspended between the blocks

Nefarious
10-23-2006, 6:38 AM
get to small pieces of wood and get a flathead screwdriver with a star patten and pound it in the retaining pin hole with a hammer, having the bolt susspended between the blocks

Yup, tried it... I have been hitting that thing pretty damn hard, and just BARELY have it sticking out. Im going to really put some elbow in there today when I get home... its really gummed in there good. I should have got it on video.. you guys would have laughed your a** off at my expressions/frustration

El Barto
10-23-2006, 8:29 AM
I broke a punch getting my first out.

Nefarious
10-23-2006, 8:38 AM
I broke a punch getting my first out.

HAHA! Thats crazy. I guess my Verbal Threats have no affect :eek:

Nefarious
10-24-2006, 4:15 PM
1 more sanding and shes ready for stain

Edit: After the sanding and stain.. do I use a wood sealer? Or just the Tung oil (have no idea if its called Tung oil, but that sounds right)

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/nefarious619/2006-10-24_0003.jpg

M. Sage
10-24-2006, 6:33 PM
The oil should work as a sealer.

I've used oil without stain. Tung darkens up a little bit, but not much.

smeg
10-24-2006, 7:36 PM
and it will look super.
with each coat let dry 10 mins, buff off, repeat next day.
did you sand it past 150 grit?

Blue
10-24-2006, 8:21 PM
Hit it with some super light steel wool too.

M. Sage
10-24-2006, 9:06 PM
Hit it with some super light steel wool too.

+1. Steel wool in between coats of oil, and after the last one's dry.

Nefarious
10-25-2006, 5:41 AM
and it will look super.
with each coat let dry 10 mins, buff off, repeat next day.
did you sand it past 150 grit?

The last I used was 250 I believe? It could use another go on the sandpaper.. its nice and smooth, but there are areas that still need a workover

Nefarious
10-25-2006, 5:42 AM
+1. Steel wool in between coats of oil, and after the last one's dry.

Will do!
Taking off early from work today to finish this all up :D