PDA

View Full Version : CMP Western Games

FinalBoss
10-23-2006, 1:30 AM
Is anyone going to the CMP Western Games on Sunday, November 5th? I'll be there looking for a SA Field Grade M1. I read on CMP's forum that nothing but field and rack grades M1s are going to be available. I've always planned on getting a service grade but now they are out. Anyways, I've wanted an M1 for 5 years now and finally decided to get one but don't have much experience with them. Are there any Calgunners that could help me pick a nice one? Someone with a TE gauge and a good eye for details? I'll spring for lunch or whatever is convenient.

Thanks.
-Mike

stevie
10-23-2006, 3:29 AM
The people working the tables will usually have some guages. They will help you pick one if you ask them.

ocabj
10-23-2006, 5:44 AM
I'll be there Sun-Tue and Thu-Fri (and possibly Sat).

I'm planning on shooting Garand on Sun, Swedish M96 on Mon, Garand again on Tue, AR on Thu and Fri (and Sat, possibly).

I'll probably be checking the tables, too. I don't plan on buying anything, but if I find an interesting rifle, I may get one. I could always use a 4 million receiver or maybe another 5 mil. I may get a Kimber M82 if I feel so inclined. I need a nice 22 for offhand practice.

As far as picking out a nice Garand, it's not hard. Just borrow the TE and MW gauges from the CMP workers when you get to the front of the table. After you gauge a decent barrel, then look over the parts to see if anything looks out of order.

MrTenX
10-23-2006, 5:47 AM
I'll be shooting there again this year.
Be advised that it's pretty busy around the display tables.
Here's a shot from last year-
http://www.odcmp.com/Photos/05/WesternGames2/gun%20buying%20activity_a_std.jpg
Good luck.

metalhead357
10-23-2006, 5:49 AM
The people working the tables will usually have some guages. They will help you pick one if you ask them.

+1 on that; that's what they did for me at the Reno show. Walked away with two with extremly low TE & MW. The metal is in GREAT shape to ta' boot~ and the only reason why they were classed as Fields is that the wood left something to be desired. But given the choice of a new stock slipped on or a new barrel install-- I'll take a stock set;)

Good luck & I'd LOVE to go if'n it just wasnt soooooooo friggin far down there & this lil' thing called 'work' keeps impeeding on m' fun:mad: lol!

ocabj
10-23-2006, 5:50 AM
I'll be shooting there again this year.
Be advised that it's pretty busy around the display tables.

They should really give priority to the tables to the match shooters first. I remember in the first Western Games in May of 2006 how there were probably more buyers only than shooters. It would encourage more match participation.

Crazed_SS
10-23-2006, 6:38 AM
I think Im gonna go.. this is too good of oppurtunity to miss up.

FinalBoss
10-23-2006, 6:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, and WOW at that picture. I guess its gonna be tough for a newbie to find a nice rifle within that mass of more experienced people. I'll spend the next two weeks learning as much as I can before attending. I also appreciate the advice regarding asking them for gauges and help.
After purchasing this M1, I will practice and participate in next years event. I only have experience with Remmy 700's, 870's, and pistols. Hopefully, I'll see a few Calgunners and ask for some more advice! That is, after they've chosen their beauties!!!

-Mike

stevie
10-23-2006, 6:52 PM
My opinion only:

Pick a rifle with good ME and TE, then look for the finish. Stock condition will vary. You will not be able to remove the trigger assembly.

Most likely they will all be SA, so i would not worry to much about the other parts.

A Good ME, TE and nice finish will usually mean a rifle that has either been taken care of correctly or not used much.

If one just calls out your name grab it, do not wait for the next one becasue it may not call.

Once you put one down someone will be there to grab it from you.

These rifles do not last long, so get there early, best if you can go the first day of sale.

I worked behind the table at the first games and saw the feeding frenzy first hand.

FinalBoss
10-23-2006, 7:17 PM
Thanks for the info Stevie. I am planning to go there the first day of the sale and be ready when the display opens. In your opinion, would I be better off just ordering from CMP instead of working through the crowds? I don't want to be the new guy asking the workers for help/gauging while holding everyone up. I know its first come, first served but I want a nice rifle (It will be my first but not last M1) and I really could use some guidance. I am researching left and right through forums but reading and actual knowledge/experience is different.

So, is anyone up that is going to be there on Sunday up for helping a fellow Calgunner find a nice M1? Of course, it would be after they had finished finding theirs. =) I can spring for lunch,a box of ammo, or something along those lines.

-Mike

FatKatMatt
10-23-2006, 7:21 PM
I'm in the market for a Garand... Is there any special thing I have to do to go to this event, I heard you have to sign up with an affiliated lub or some such thing.

stevie
10-23-2006, 7:38 PM
Must join a club, most used around here is either the California Pistol and Rifle assoc or the Garand Assoc http://www.thegca.org/index.htm

phish
10-23-2006, 8:48 PM
They should really give priority to the tables to the match shooters first. I remember in the first Western Games in May of 2006 how there were probably more buyers only than shooters. It would encourage more match participation.

I agree. If it were up to me, I'd probably even change the requirements for rifle purchases, but that's another subject for debate.