PDA

View Full Version : Blackthorne Products Feedback

Purple K
03-18-2011, 3:12 PM
Hi,
Anyone have any experience with their AR-10 and AR-15 kits?

Thanks

djleisure
03-18-2011, 3:17 PM
I don't have any first-hand experience with this company, but I generally do not hear positive things about them. They have changed their name a few times - seemingly to hide from negative reviews (see also: Vulcan, Hesse) - but again, no first-hand knowledge, I'm sure someone else can chime in...

Here's a thread from last year: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=363985

powderedtoastman
03-18-2011, 3:24 PM
I have firsthand experience with their stuff. During the panic-buying, I picked up one of their AR-15 complete uppers after I got my tax return. MISTAKE. Absolute waste of money. Never worked right, was never accurate, their customer service sucked when I FINALLY got a hold of them. It's worth the time to save your money and get a real AR: Riflegear, DD, LWRC, Bushmaster. Especially since they're not that much more expensive than blackthorne.

West9319
03-18-2011, 3:29 PM
I've been in the same boat your in. I hear guys who have never had first hand experience with there kits do nothing but bash on them and then refer you to BCM, LMT, or DD. Then you have guys who have gone out and bought there parts and have had possitive and natural things to say.

From everything I have heard they buy blemished parts from various other AR companies and that some elbow grease might be needed before use like sanding or staking the BC key. Everyone else also says that there Vulcan ans Hesse, I don't know if it's true but I kinda don't care as much. Bottom line is Though who haven't had any experience have nothing but bad rumors that they continue to spread. And those who have took the time to bought Blackthorn products either had no issues other then a cosmetic blemish or just needed some sanding or other minor DIY.

If you search the net and filter out the guys who just speak 3rd hand knowledge youl find some good reviews (alot with pics) and range reports. You tube has 2 guys who bought there parts and one of them at the range test firing it. On gunbroker the customer feed back is mostly good as well as on there site itself.

It's going to come down to someone on here actually buying a kit and testing it to see if all the hype is true or just fud.

Purple K
03-18-2011, 3:36 PM
Thanks for the link

voiceoftheright
03-18-2011, 3:39 PM
I have firsthand experience with their stuff. During the panic-buying, I picked up one of their AR-15 complete uppers after I got my tax return. MISTAKE. Absolute waste of money. Never worked right, was never accurate, their customer service sucked when I FINALLY got a hold of them. It's worth the time to save your money and get a real AR: Riflegear, DD, LWRC, Bushmaster. Especially since they're not that much more expensive than blackthorne.

Same story here for me as well, luckily I wasn't even able to fit it onto my Spike's lower to shoot the POS, it would have taken A LOT of filing on the rear of the upper to possibly get the holes to line up. It looked as if the front sight post was glued together as well. It arrived with no BCG/charging handle during a time they were near impossible to get and for which I had paid for. They then stuck me with shipping (both ways) and the 3% CC charge and negative feedback on gunbroker as an "abusive buyer". Great people. I'm sure they are able to piece together uppers that look better now, but the OVERWHELMINGLY horrible reviews of this company should lead you to want to support a company who gives a damn about their product and their customers. You're fortunate enough to be living in good AR times. Spend the extra hundred on a real upper or don't bother getting into the AR world just for a "cool" looking rifle.

dieselpower
03-18-2011, 3:43 PM
I didn't think Blackthorne was still called that...they are Now AKpartskit?

a link to their contacts page... AK Parts Kit (http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=contact_us)
AK Parts kits
PO Box 2441l
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076
(952)232-5832

and

E-mail: Sales@BlackthorneProducts.com
For Technical issues please e-mail your questions to: Sales@BlackthorneProducts.com
Call us at 952.232.5832 Monday - Friday, 12:00 - 4:00 Central
Mailing Address:
Blackthorne Products LLC, P. O. Box 2441, S. St. Paul, MN 55076-8441

their home page from a google search of "blackthorne" AKpartskits (http://akpartskits.com/)

Blackthorne Products is proud to offer FREE SHIPPING on our AR15 type parts kits! (NOT AR10 or Galil type parts kits) Please note the following conditions apply:..........

its a shell game finding them and getting them to honor their warrenty. There are horror stories on AR15.com... the best one was a guys refund was turned down because they said he fired re-loads out of it... problem was he wanted a refund because the kit was mailed to the wrong address... he ended up filling fraud charges and let his CC company deal with them.

djleisure
03-18-2011, 3:46 PM
Wow - another name change! That is just not the sign of a good company...

voiceoftheright
03-18-2011, 3:50 PM
Wow - another name change! That is just not the sign of a good company...

Exactly. Their seller name on Gunbroker is still Blackthorne (they probably can't switch it or it would be too time consuming), but when you pay it takes you to the AKparts site. Total scam artists.
eta; I normally don't like jumping on bandwagons but this company and the sight of their name fires me up and they deserve every bad review they have.

lobsternoob
03-18-2011, 5:45 PM
Is this the same AKPartsKits that has been around advertising for a long time by mail order and whatnot? Went to that site to check it out, bleh... I had heard some negative things about Blackthorne also recently. I remember AKPartsKits from a long time back though. If those are the same entity, or were two that have merged I wouldn't deal with either one. Plus the website seems a bit fly-by-night. When every single product description needs to reassure me more than once that what I would be buying is not pure junk, or junk others sell like this, etc alarms start going off in my head.

bob_e95482
03-18-2011, 5:49 PM
I bought a kit through them, then heard the bad hype, but other than a little bit of fiddling(the Raddlock BB wouldn't hold the mag in) it runs fine.

lobsternoob
03-18-2011, 6:03 PM
That doesn't sound like it'd be their fault unless something was off with the mag release on the gun itself. Was it that or the Raddlock?

c20rj
03-18-2011, 6:22 PM
I bought three of these kits from them. First one was a 20" a2 basic. The upper receiver had to be filed and sanded with a die grinder to fit, and the rear take down hole enlarged considerably to close. Second one was a 20" flattop with quadrail. This also had to be sanded and filed, quadrail was sloppy, just a pos. Third one, a 16"carbine fit together okay but jammed constantly and I ran out of windage on zeroing out. I definately would not recommend. After several messages back and forth, I resolved to just deal with it. Hindsight says I should have returned them.

ih8ca
03-18-2011, 6:47 PM
I would not own anything from Vulcan,Hesse and Blackthorne. I bought a vulcan v94 and it is a horrible gun.

ElvenSoul
03-18-2011, 7:00 PM
Its been a few years since I looked at them...they used to maked Century's Monkeys look like Swiss Watchmakers.

bob_e95482
03-18-2011, 8:20 PM
My problem was the Raddlock. I now have a Maglock BB that works fine.

bjl333
03-18-2011, 8:28 PM
First off I don't have any experience with them. That said I wouldn't get their kits just because of all the bad rap. There are tons of other kits out there for about the same price, Delton comes to mind. With a little careful shopping I think you can come up with something very good for around the same prices.

c20rj
03-18-2011, 8:40 PM
Fwiw, I ordered a 16" carbine upper, chrome lined barrel, a2 upper with BCG and all from Armalite for 525. Pretty good deal, I have never had issues with armalite.

bjl333
03-18-2011, 9:07 PM
Fwiw, I ordered a 16" carbine upper, chrome lined barrel, a2 upper with BCG and all from Armalite for 525. Pretty good deal, I have never had issues with armalite.

+3 ... = Armalite in inventory!! :43: