PDA

View Full Version : Which co-witness is your choice

Outta Control
03-18-2011, 3:10 PM
From what I understand if one wants a full co-witness RDS (dot on the same plane as the F/R sights) you should have an M4 flat-top with folding sights while a lower 1/3 CW is suggested for a fixed front sight. Is this accurate because I've also read that it doesn't matter and is a personal preference.

NapaCountyShooter
03-18-2011, 4:24 PM
I like the lower 1/3, but it's really just personal preferrence. It's just more visually pleasing for me to see more of the FOV unobstructed.

uscbigdawg
03-18-2011, 4:28 PM
EOTech on a GG&G Accu-Cam and a standard FSB w/ a YHM flip up rear. All line up and no issues with anything. Did in the real world more than once and no, the front sight doesn't get in the way when using the dot.

Rich

damndave
03-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I like the lower 1/3 myself. All of my ARs have had a front sight post and with an absolute co-witness it blocks a lot of the field of view.

willstand
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
sorry to butt in guys but your thread asks a lot of the same questions i have. i have a flat top with a conventional Nikon variable on top. i am thinking of JP offset rail mounts for secondary/close up platform because i understand that if the weapon is rotated the proper amount the line of sight/centerline of bore relationship is exactly the same as same scenario over a flat top.Trying to figure out what micro reflex/mounting combo & what BUIS setup. Don't think its a big thing if its partial or full co- witness since i have no experience with either. just want a functional setup. Any suggestions?

MrPlink
03-21-2011, 1:25 AM
I prefer 100% cowitness for a few reasons.

If you are shooting with both eyes open (which you should be) there is no obstruction. Hell, if you shoot with boths eyes open, you can even cover the front of your RDS and still see what you are aiming at (like an old occluded eye optic).

Plus its like having a 3rd point of reference for your irons, not needed I know, but I prefer it. Either way, it boils down to what you want

GeoffLinder
03-21-2011, 9:41 AM
I also prefer direct co-witness. If the RDS fails, the irons require no adjustment in head position to use. Field of view and having a little more post in it is not an issue IMHO.

BANG BANG
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
absolute co-witness here too. no need to (re-aim) the irons

dieselpower
03-21-2011, 5:54 PM
I just replaced my spacer. I am at 1/3 now.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/cowitnessdiagrams-1.jpg