PDA

View Full Version : Removing the cap off a P22's threaded barrel

XDRoX
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I want to sell my Walther P22 to my nephew who lives in NM. Is there a way to remove the barrel cap? I've heard in the past online that it has been done by heating and a few other techniques, but don't have any concrete answer.

Thanks

glocklover
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
To remove the cap would make it a AW in state, you would have to remove the cap out of state.

XDRoX
03-18-2011, 1:10 PM
To remove the cap would make it a AW in state, you would have to remove the cap out of state.

I understand this. My nephew would be the one removing it in a free state.

caoboy
03-18-2011, 1:24 PM
I do believe that if it is removable IN state, it is considered an AW.

jackandblood
03-18-2011, 7:24 PM
if they used loctite i think heat would do it. your std. hair blowdryer is a popular option for loctite'd stuff. pass that info to your nephew :)

XDRoX
03-18-2011, 7:55 PM
if they used loctite i think heat would do it. your std. hair blowdryer is a popular option for loctite'd stuff. pass that info to your nephew :)

Thanks for the first post by a person that actually read my OP:D

I've read about heat as well. The problem is I don't want to go through all the trouble of selling it to him only to find out that he can't get it off. I'm of course going to give him a deal, but he'd rather buy a new one if he can't get the cap off. Just tying to find concrete info on someone that's done it. I'm beginning to believe it may be difficult to do so. Thanks.

WDE91
03-18-2011, 9:12 PM
Im thinking heat from a hair dryer or if needed up it to a heat gun then a strap wrench to grab the still hot thread protector
righty tighty lefty loosey

Scratch705
03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
heat it, and see if it will break loose. if it does, stop there and retighten and send it off to him. if it doesn't, then no harm?

this should be legal correct since OP did not take the cap off, only loosened it?

redcliff
03-19-2011, 6:45 AM
heat it, and see if it will break loose. if it does, stop there and retighten and send it off to him. if it doesn't, then no harm?

this should be legal correct since OP did not take the cap off, only loosened it?

If you break it loose you've restored its capability to accept a suppressor, at least in CA DoJ's eyes.

I'm not sure if they used Loctite or an epoxy when they did the "fix".

Ubermcoupe
03-19-2011, 1:03 PM
Ship pistol w/o Barrel,

Ship "loosened" capped barrel separate?

I think the real answer lies with how it was permanently capped. if loctite, you can use the heat method or the reverse compound loctite sells. If like silver solder or something you'll need something hotter.

Tank 57
03-19-2011, 8:20 PM
E-mail Walther and ask them.Couldn't hurt.

roaoro
03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, heat it with a blow torch, wrap the cap in a wrag, stick it in a vice, twist it off. It works...

dfletcher
03-24-2011, 4:12 PM
I presume, if the barrel can be removed from the gun he can heat and remove the nut here. Constructive possession does not apply to CA AW law, remove the barrel from the gun, heat and remove the nut and don't reattach it - then send the thing out of state.

Maybe I'm missing something?

DaveFJ80
03-24-2011, 9:23 PM
Loctite needs like 300 degrees to break loose, and a hair dryer can't get a steel barrel that hot. You need a heat gun and crank it up to 450 degrees and it'll be ready in 45 seconds. But again, that's only if they used loctite or solder.

Now if it's tac-welded, then you need to use a grinder and/or cutter.