PDA

View Full Version : RRA Complete Uppers Help

neomedic
10-22-2006, 5:39 PM
I am looking to get a complete upper receiver from RRA. I know they should be a good, reliable product. But I just wanted to double check with everyone before dropping $500-600. Also, any other brands to look for? And other than brand, what else should I be looking for to get the best quality product for reliability (such as Chrome lined and not chrome moly).

Also, what is the difference between RRA Tactical CAR A4 Upper Half and the RRA Elite CAR A4 Upper Half???? I looked at their website, but since I'm such a newbie, I don't know what to look for and what the difference is?

Forums has made my first purchase a whole lot smoothier and me more confident of my purchases. Thanks

blkA4alb
10-22-2006, 5:47 PM
RRAs are a good product, however they fit very tightly (good on a registered weapons and people running detachable mags.) But if you're fixing the mag it will be hard to press the pin out.

The Eilte is a midlength gas system and the Tactical has a carbine gas system.

If you are going with a carbine setup get the chrome lined barrel. If you were going for long range accuracy you would not want to get the barrel chrome lined since the lining can reduce the accuracy.

neomedic
10-22-2006, 5:50 PM
Can you please elaborate on how the two system works and the pros and cons of them. Also, your recommendation on which is more reliable to prevent ejection problems?

Thanks

Dont Tread on Me
10-22-2006, 6:15 PM
I'll let someone more knowledgeable give you the difference between models. There is a RRA forum on AR15.com. The company is very responsive to questions there.

I got the RRA CAR A4 kit. The quality is just amazing and accuracy is 1 MOA. I also really like the RRA two stage trigger. It is like one on a fine 1911.

I have it on a Fulton lower and it is tight but not too tight for tear down.

Jicko
10-22-2006, 7:23 PM
RE: "tight" RRA upper
- you can get an aftermarket extended "takedown" pin.... (~$8)... and you can file it down a little bit... then the upper won't be as tight to the point that make breaking it open too difficult

RE: carbine vs midlength gas port
- some people believed that midlength gas port = the gas have a little longer to expand, therefore more volume... hence making cycling a little more reliable... (theoretically maybe... but... practically... I don't think there is much of a difference)

RE: RRA's qualtiy
- TOP NOTCH.... as good as you can get.... and good price/quality balance... RRA 2-stage trigger... another GREAT value item.... can't vote for it more!!!

RE: althernative
- STAG ARMS.... probably as good... and maybe a little cheaper too... ALSO as good quality as you can get... but then STAG ARMS got way less "options" than RRA... so if you can find one that you want "exactly" then, STAG will be a GREAT choice... but if u need to customize things... then RRA give u more options....

RE: other comments
- get chrome-lined.... from what I read from your newbie questions.... I don't think you should be thinking about getting into National Match grade AR at this point... so... get a good, service grade rifle for now.... learn and play with the AR... and enjoy the "easier to use"-ness of the chrome-lined and once you are comfortable with the AR-platform... then you can think about going crazy for accuracy (that's probably a couple years down the road).... btw, all 16" STAG are M4 carbine profile w/ chrome lined barrel

damon1272
10-22-2006, 8:28 PM
I built the RRA mid length upper on a wilson tactical lower and I am very happy. I chose to go with detachable mags and a monstermen grip and have no complaints. I also have a fixed mag lower for hunting. A little more of a hassle but not a big deal. RRA is good quality but I would get the chrome barrel. The midlength h-bar is a little heavy but not too bad. Get what you want and don't look back.

neomedic
10-22-2006, 8:44 PM
How about stainless steel barrels from RRA? Are they more durable, reliable, and eaiser to clean? Or go with a chrome-lined? Thanks

What is the difference between these:
Entry Tactical Upper Half =???
Tactical CAR A4 Upper Half = (Carbine Gas System)
Elite CAR A4 Upper Half = (Mid-length Gas System...perhaps better)
Tactical CAR UTE2 Upper Half =???
Elite CAR UTE2 Upper Half =???

Thanks

Dont Tread on Me
10-22-2006, 8:52 PM
Go chrome. The only disadvantage I know of is a very small loss in accuracy but the gun still shoots better than me.

ocabj
10-22-2006, 8:55 PM
Since this isn't a service rifle competition gun, go chrome lined. You're going to to want the longetivity of chrome lined.

neomedic
10-22-2006, 8:59 PM
Thanks guys....will go for the chrome-line

Now just the model....

Jicko
10-22-2006, 9:19 PM
Thanks guys....will go for the chrome-line
Now just the model....

STEP 1: Decide on the length first:
- 14.5" <- authentic M4-profile, a HASSLE to acquire, since you need to PERMANENTLY attach a muzzle device
- 16" <- most "tactical" / "carbine" is built with a 16" barrel; M4 profile or not... you choice... MANY people dig the M4 look(including myself)... if that's the case
- 18" <- SPR uses 18" 1:7 barrels, but to build a SPR, you would need to budget about $2k
- 20" <- service/match rifle, old school look....
- 24" <- varmint rifle, generally, here is where you will want to go with a stainless steel barrel

If you wanna check out mine, 16" M4-profile:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=387870&postcount=16

STEP 2: Pick upper receiver
- MOST people, 80%+, will just settle with a stand flat-top upper receiver
- stick with standard stuff, and add your own sight.... rather than going with nonstandard UTE or EOP upper

STEP 3: Pick you sights
- just get your basic upper assembly with the flat-top receiver, and your choice of barrel first
- A2 front sight is one of the most popular(this should probably be YOUR choice), but you can always go with a rail'ed gas block and add your own front sight
- you can always pick your sights later....
- a lot of choices out there:
> A2 carry handle, this give you an authetic look
> flip-up rear sight, many choices here.... ARMS, Troy Industries, GG&G, KAC etc...
> red dot sights - EOTech, AIMPoint, Trijicon REFLEX
> scope - ACOG etc...

Omega13device
10-23-2006, 6:02 AM
While you're at it you might want to check out CMMG's uppers at www.cmmginc.com (http://www.cmmginc.com). I have no connection to them, just heard good things about them.

Grakken
10-23-2006, 11:49 AM
A difference i see is that the Elite has longer (midlength) handguards, not the r4 (shorter) ones (Tactical). Other than that im not sure what the difference is. I would suggest Chomelined barrel. I would visit ARf.com and click on "Industry" and go to the RRA forum there.

mltrading
10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
How about stainless steel barrels from RRA? Are they more durable, reliable, and eaiser to clean? Or go with a chrome-lined? Thanks

What is the difference between these:
Entry Tactical Upper Half =??? traditional A3 flat-top receiver + detachable Tactical carry handle/rear sight, CAR-length gas system
Tactical CAR A4 Upper Half = (Carbine Gas System)
Elite CAR A4 Upper Half = (Mid-length Gas System...perhaps better)
Tactical CAR UTE2 Upper Half =??? UTE2 receiver, the rear sight is integrated on the receiver. It's a PITA if you want to use flip-up rear sight. CAR-length gas system
Elite CAR UTE2 Upper Half =???Same UTE2 upper receiver, but the gas system is mid-length

Thanks

See blue portions above.

Go chrome-lined. The chrome-lined BBL is easier to clean ut a little bit less accurate than SS BBL.