PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 - 870E "Security" comes with lock??

Jicko
10-22-2006, 3:48 PM
Do Big 5 - 870E "Security" comes with lock??
They one that I am supposed to pick up in a couple of days.... didn't....
Can someone confirm with me that it didn't come with one?
I thought they all DO come with locks now....

luvtolean
10-22-2006, 3:58 PM
Yes, they come with locks.

In fact, I know for sure it is included with the gun because I asked for a safe affidavit and was told it was not necessary as the gun included one.

There is even a spot for it built in to the styrofoam packing in the box for the gun.

mike100
10-22-2006, 5:00 PM
mine didn't come with one...we're talking the 6+1 cyl bore room broom express model , right?

Gunsmoker
10-22-2006, 5:30 PM
I'm due to pick my 870 from Big 5 in 2 days and I had to buy a separate lock.

So does this gun come with a lock?

TYLORD
10-22-2006, 6:45 PM
All Remington shotguns come with locks. Go back to Big 5 and tell them you want the lock. There is a spot in the foam for it. Inspect the contents of the gun box before you take it out of the store to make sure.

Guinness
10-22-2006, 7:05 PM
Big 5 is famous for issues like this, I was told I HAVE to buy a lock (even with a safe affidavit) - Store Manager had to be called on that one, and the best one - I was told I have to wait 30 day wait between rifles.. :rolleyes:

Manager had to fix that one also.

Stanze
10-22-2006, 8:23 PM
My wife bought a Ruger 10/22 at Big 5, it came with a lock(even though I hate gun locks and the late Bill Ruger's stance on "simple" civilians, this one had a nifty Ruger logo.).

Maddog5150
10-22-2006, 8:44 PM
I think Ive only seen a couple models of the 870 in the past that had come with a gun lock.

Outlaw Josey Wales
10-22-2006, 8:52 PM
Some of the cable locks included with firearms do not meet California safety requirements and are removed as a result.

azn_wrx
10-22-2006, 8:54 PM
I thought all guns sold at big 5 came with locks. At my local store only the managers sell weapons and I believe every gun I have bought there has come with a lock. I may be wrong. :p

Jicko
10-22-2006, 9:36 PM
OK, anyone have a picture of the lock that it COMES with?! I think it is a trigger lock with a key... NOT a cable lock...

And then, are there NEWER packages or OLDER packages? ie. NEWER package have locks and OLDER one don't?

I looked at 2 *new* boxes 870E "Security" 6+1 model this past week, both DO NOT have locks. And I don't see a spot in the foam for it neither. Can someone take some pictures and show me? Then at least I can take the picture to my local Big5 and ASK!

Gunsmoker
10-22-2006, 10:54 PM
When did Remington start including locks with the 870s?

Are these locks DOJ approved? Can I use the included lock and not have to buy a separate lock?

Gunsmoker
10-22-2006, 10:57 PM
OK, anyone have a picture of the lock that it COMES with?! I think it is a trigger lock with a key... NOT a cable lock...

And then, are there NEWER packages or OLDER packages? ie. NEWER package have locks and OLDER one don't?

I looked at 2 *new* boxes 870E "Security" 6+1 model this past week, both DO NOT have locks. And I don't see a spot in the foam for it neither. Can someone take some pictures and show me? Then at least I can take the picture to my local Big5 and ASK!

Yup. They don't know a lick about guns and I was talking to the manager. I understand not knowing about guns in general, but to not know about the guns you sell in your own store that you manage is absolutely ridiculous.

FrankG
10-23-2006, 4:17 AM
i did not buy my 870 at big 5 and it didnt come with a lock. a friend did buy his from big 5 and it also did not come with a lock. i had to buy a lock for mine....

DV8
10-23-2006, 5:48 AM
I thought the j-lock that Remington built into the trigger safety was all the lock needed?

When I got my 870, there was no other lock included. I didnt sweat it as I have a bunch of locks that collect dust at home anyway. I removed the j-lock too by the way...

luvtolean
10-23-2006, 6:37 AM
It's a trigger lock, pretty nice looking actually.

I still can't pick mine up, or I'd take a pic.

Hell, I'd give mine away, but it won't help you.

TYLORD
10-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I called Remington about this. All of the new models of 870's come with a really nice Remington trigger locks. They are made by Remington. Big 5 does not include them in their packages, Remington does. The older Remington packages and guns that Big 5 still has in stock may not include gun locks, and that is probably why they don't have one included. Big 5, according to the law, is supposed to either make you give proof of a gun lock owned by you, either by a reciept that you have, or by you bringing in your gun lock to show them. That is probably why they are including them with some packages.

I will take pictures of my Remington lock later today.

Jicko
10-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I called Remington about this. All of the new models of 870's come with a really nice Remington trigger locks. They are made by Remington. Big 5 does not include them in their packages, Remington does. The older Remington packages and guns that Big 5 still has in stock may not include gun locks, and that is probably why they don't have one included. Big 5, according to the law, is supposed to either make you give proof of a gun lock owned by you, either by a reciept that you have, or by you bringing in your gun lock to show them. That is probably why they are including them with some packages.

I will take pictures of my Remington lock later today.

THANKS for calling Remington about this!!! I was ABOUT to do so.

"Bringing in your gun lock" is NOT good enough, a recipt that the lock is purchased within the past 30days is ALSO needed.

OR one can fill out the "I have a gun safe" declaration...

NOW, I want to call my Big 5 and ASK them to get me a NEW model 870 from Remington, wish me LUCK on that.... (i've heard people saying that they did get new 870s from Big 5... so maybe all depending on which store have got what stock left....)

luvtolean
10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
DROS is started with a specific firearm. You cannot receive a different gun.

Jicko
10-23-2006, 3:05 PM
DROS is started with a specific firearm. You cannot receive a different gun.

DROS is ONLY to verify that one CAN own firearms!

There is NO serial number information on the DROS of a "long gun".

Serial number is record on the Form 4478(?, i don't wanna bother to look up the number for correctness sake only, but you guys know what I am talking about).... but that recording is ONLY performed when you are picking up your firearm.

*correct* me if I am WRONG. :p

luvtolean
10-23-2006, 3:11 PM
I think you're right actually, on long guns. (though I tried this with a gun, and was denied, now that you mention it, it was a handgun)

I was told I could add lowers during my 10 day by an FFL...so you must be right.

kantstudien
10-24-2006, 12:44 AM
My 3 870s did not come with locks. Most trigger and Ruger locks are not CA-approved, and must be removed from the store immediately and thrown away. A gun store can only carry CA-approved locks.

TYLORD
10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
The new Remington locks are CA approved, and come on all new Remington shotguns. And I have to correct myself, they were made by Regal for Remington only.

gordoe
10-24-2006, 1:58 PM
I Had To Buy A Gun Lock When I Purchased My Mosin Nagant M44. It Sucked They Tryed To Sell Me A Lock For $15 Then I Went To Imbert And Smithers And Bought A Better One For Cheaper.

pilotimb
10-26-2006, 2:44 PM
Walmart sells the cheapest CA-DOJ approved lock that I've seen. It's $4.97. I always return my locks after I show the receipt since i have a bunch at home I don't use.

patman
10-26-2006, 5:08 PM
I stood there and watched today when the manager at big5 opened a sealed 870e box 'right off the delivery truck' and there was no lock. Not sure if it's one of the 'newer' ones but the stock looked different than the one on display. A bit darker.

Yeah, a safe is good to have, fire resistant/resilent - 30min fireproof without moisture works great for important documents and stuff. What else is the shelves that take up half the space good for ;)

The new Remington locks are CA approved, and come on all new Remington shotguns. And I have to correct myself, they were made by Regal for Remington only.

Powersauce
10-26-2006, 5:23 PM
Big 5 is famous for issues like this, I was told I HAVE to buy a lock (even with a safe affidavit) - Store Manager had to be called on that one, and the best one - I was told I have to wait 30 day wait between rifles.. :rolleyes:

Manager had to fix that one also.I just picked up at 10/22 from Big 5...when I was going through DROS paperwork they told me I'd have to buy a lock..so I asked for a safe affidavit...the sales guy had no clue what that was...then he opened the box and saw the lock. He had to ask the store manager if that was ok.

TYLORD
10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I stood there and watched today when the manager at big5 opened a sealed 870e box 'right off the delivery truck' and there was no lock. Not sure if it's one of the 'newer' ones but the stock looked different than the one on display. A bit darker.

Yeah, a safe is good to have, fire resistant/resilent - 30min fireproof without moisture works great for important documents and stuff. What else is the shelves that take up half the space good for ;)

I believe it, as Remington still has the older packages in stock. I know a guy in SoCal who just bought an 870 recently, and his even had the safety lock on it still.

luvtolean
10-29-2006, 8:13 AM
All right, pics of the lock and the end of the box.

It looks like mine came in during Sept 06.

Jicko
10-30-2006, 9:32 PM
I picked my 870 up from Big5 today!

While I was there, I saw NEW shippment of guns just came in.... so I asked the manager to show me one of the NEW 870! WAH-LA!!! THERE IS THE LOCK!!!

I managed to convince him to switch it out for me!

I ended up getting one of the NEW one... WITH LOCK!!

*yeah*

Prc329
10-31-2006, 9:10 AM
I though 870 only came with the integrated trigger lock. I bought my 870 express from Turners and it did not come with a lock and I did not have to buy one because of the integrated lock. The funny thing is my 686 has an integrated lock as well but still came with a lock. Go figure. I know its a long gun vs a handgun but I find that curious.