PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG vs. 510 DTC

ts
10-22-2006, 3:26 AM
Okay guys, I am throwing around the idea of getting a LARGE caliber rifle, is the 50 BMG larger then the 510 DTC. If it is I don't feel right getting the 510 DTC, it means the state of CA won, and I don't like that I rather save up and get a 20mm Vulcan. Is there any caliber between a 50 BMG and a 20mm Vulcan?

Thanks,
Tony

Nefarious
10-22-2006, 6:07 AM
Sent to me by Al

Difference between 50 DTC and 50 BMG

"Basically...a pre-existing 8 year old cartridge since many Europeans can not
use "war" calibers. Comparison side-by-side...1/10" shorter, shoulder is
rolled correspondingly lower. One will not chamber in the other. Same
powder/type/amount. Same bullet. Same primer. Flies the same! Dies by
CH4D and Hollywood....Lee soon.

We just started using it...but it has been the twin sister competition
cartridge in France for the past 8 years. Brass is formed from a .50BMG
case....anyone can do it, but commercial ammo is being loaded in Oklahoma"

mrkubota
10-22-2006, 7:26 AM
Okay guys, I am throwing around the idea of getting a LARGE caliber rifle, is the 50 BMG larger then the 510 DTC. If it is I don't feel right getting the 510 DTC, it means the state of CA won, and I don't like that I rather save up and get a 20mm Vulcan. Is there any caliber between a 50 BMG and a 20mm Vulcan?

Thanks,
Tony

The bullet diameters of the .50bmg or .510DTC are identical, another .50cal option is the .50 (m48) Spotter cartridge. It's about 1" shorter than the .50bmg.
As to 20mm, as I understand CA regs., it too wouldn't be legal as the CA 'limit' is .60 caliber. You could neck down the 20mm case to .60, or you can still get the 14.5mm JDJ from SSK.
http://www.sskindustries.com/14_5.htm

left to right: M48spotter, .50bmg, 20mm, 30mm
http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/50spotcomp.jpg

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/50dtc/cart_comp_00.jpg

50 Shooter
10-22-2006, 7:28 AM
This is the only thing that's bigger then the .50 BMG that's legal in Kali. http://www.sskindustries.com/14_5.htm If you want a .50 go with the DTC and don't look back.

DRH
10-22-2006, 9:20 AM
tonyayo, You will be neutralizing the desired effect of the .50BMG ban by getting a .50 DTC rifle. The difference in case capacity between the two calibers is negligible. I hope the DTC popularity increases dramatically and loaded ammo is soon available in the average gun store.

Nefarious, I assume by Al you mean Al B. in OC. If so, you are dealing with a standup guy who will definately take good care of you. Feel confident with your FFL pick.

JPglee1
10-22-2006, 9:27 AM
tonyayo, You will be neutralizing the desired effect of the .50BMG ban by getting a .50 DTC rifle. The difference in case capacity between the two calibers is negligible. I hope the DTC popularity increases dramatically and loaded ammo is soon available in the average gun store.

I wanna build one using a M48 spotter chamber only...

OR a regular 50BMG with the neck shortened .10" and the rim rebated .10"

Man I wish I had a mill and a lathe sometimes...I'd work on a 10 shot semi auto M48 spotter shooting rifle...

We can still get 10 rd barrett mags here legally, can't we?

JP

Nefarious
10-22-2006, 9:38 AM
Nefarious, I assume by Al you mean Al B. in OC. If so, you are dealing with a standup guy who will definately take good care of you. Feel confident with your FFL pick.

Yup, Al B in OC :D
I have yet to meet or speak with him in person, but damn is he sure on the ball with our email conversations - already he has gone the extra mile and really gone into detail with questions I have had.
Hoping there is enough interested in my Group Buy thread for a Serbu - if not... thats fine too.. Ill still be picking one up

Patriot
10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
The 510 DTC is vastly less powerful than the .50 BMG...it's like comparing apples to oranges. One is good for going through 2.5 cars, one is really only useful as a longe-range competition rifle. Why do you think one is banned and one is legal ;-) Errr, well the 510 does look ballistically similar to the 50, but we all know that those energy figures don't mean much in the real world....

...before I get flamed, count to 10 and say it slowly with me, "f-a-c-e-t-i-o-u-s-n-e-s-s"