PDA

View Full Version : Young Manufacturing YM14 - CA legal?

fpeel
03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Would this muzzle brake be legal in California on a stock M1A/M14?

http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/product-info.php?pid132.html

Sailormilan2
03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
From the DOJ's website.

978.20 (b) - Flash Suppressor
This term was originally defined as “any device that reduces or conceals the visible light or flash created when a firearm is fired. This definition includes flash hiders, but does not include compensators and muzzle brakes (devices attached to or integral with the muzzle barrel to utilize propelling gasses for counter-recoil).”
There were two primary problems with the definition when
it was originally noticed to the public (December 31, 1999 through February 28, 2000). The most significant problem with the original definition was that it included and/or excluded particular devices by name (flash hider, muzzle brake, compensator) without consideration of whether the
devices actually suppress flash.
After further consideration prompted by public comments, the
Department concluded that the absence of statutorily defined specific measurement standards or a statutory requirement to establish those standards demonstrates a legislative intent to identify any
device that reduces or redirects flash from the shooter’s field of vision as a flash suppressor regardless of its name and intended/additional purpose. Thus, “flash hiders” are flash suppressors only if they reduce or redirect flash from the shooter’s field of vision. Conversely, “compensators”
and “muzzle brakes” are not flash suppressors only if they do not reduce or redirect flash from the shooter’s field of vision. The revised definition is clearly consistent with the legislative intent of the statute as it neither includes nor excludes any particular device on the basis of its name only.
Additionally, “conceals” in the original definition presented the possibility of an overly broad interpretation which could have included any device positioned between the shooter’s eye and the muzzle flash, such as the sights on a gun. To avoid such unintended interpretation, the word
“conceals” was replaced with “redirects.” Accordingly, the original definition was changed to:“flash suppressor means any device that reduces or redirects muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.”
This revised definition was noticed to the public during the first 15-day comment period (May 10 through May 30, 2000). Comments addressing this version of the definition prompted further reconsideration and revision. As such, the definition was revised a second time by replacing “ . . .
that reduces or redirects muzzle flash . . . ” with “ . . . designed, intended, or that functions to reduce or redirect muzzle flash . . . ” This change was necessary because it became clear that flash suppressors are typically attached by twisting or screwing the device onto the threaded barrel of a
firearm. Therefore, by simply making a half turn (180 degrees), an otherwise fully operational flash suppressor would not function as prescribed in the prior definition. The revised definition eliminates this potential loophole. Accordingly, this final revision “flash suppressor means any device designed, intended, or that functions to reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision,” was noticed during the second 15-day comment period (July 12 through July 31, 2000). Although additional comments were received, no comments were received during the second 15-day comment period that resulted in substantial revision to the definition. However, the
Department made a non-substantial revision by adding “perceptibly” to the phrase “reduce or redirect” to confirm that if a reduction or redirection of flash is so minuscule that it is imperceptible to the human eye, it could not reasonably be considered a reduction.

Personally, I think it is good to go.

fpeel
03-18-2011, 2:28 PM
Thanks, SM. One of the experts (no sarcasm intended; he really is one) on another site suggested that this part was intended for California and the info you posted certainly seems to support it.

X-NewYawker
03-18-2011, 3:54 PM
I have this brake --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/MBSM14.jpg

The main reason I haven't put it on my gun yet is that it has a larger than .30 caliber hole at the muzzle end, and I have always been told that makes it a FS instead of an MB -- I just haven't had a chance to look further into it -- maybe this thread will suss it all out --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE%20rifles/JAE-22inchHack.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE%20rifles/YoungMB.jpg

I am VERY happy with his Young Radial Comp, which is clearly NOT a FS --

morrcarr67
03-18-2011, 4:05 PM
I have this brake --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/MBSM14.jpg

The main reason I haven't put it on my gun yet is that it has a larger than .30 caliber hole at the muzzle end, and I have always been told that makes it a FS instead of an MB -- I just haven't had a chance to look further into it -- maybe this thread will suss it all out --

I'm not an engineer but I don't know how that would

From the DOJ's website.

978.20 (b) - Flash Suppressor

reduces or redirects flash from the shooter’s field of vision

So as long as it doesn't do the above you are GTG

X-NewYawker
03-18-2011, 4:20 PM
I have had this discussion with Chris at Addax and Da at Young Manufacturing - both have felt that a larger hole at the muzzle makes it a FS -- has this definition been tested in court? I would LOVE to use the YM-14 and look more like a "real" M-14. The fact that those who make these and sell these things (all muzzle brakes) are not 100% secure is troubling. For example., the Surefire MB suppressor adaptors are call MBs but the company says they have some flash suppressing performance. Keep the HOs coming --

dieselpower
03-18-2011, 4:35 PM
YM14 BRAKE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Young Manufacturing is happy to introduce our newly designed M-14 muzzle brakes.First,the YM-14. It was designed to look like the original M-14 flash hider and might be CMP legal. It has an internal chamber that has three ports cut into it to direct gases up reducing muzzle climb.This has always been an issue shooting the rapid fire stages in CMP competition.I went distinguished with the M-14 in 1991 and I sure wish I had this available to me at that time.The second one is designated the YM-14 Radial comp.This was designed with a radial cut along both sides to more evenly distribute the initial high pressure gases for a more controlled force.As opposed to the gases coming up against a flat wall or thru drilled ports and being forced in a 90 degree direction.Both are machined from solid bar of 8620 then carburized and hardened to Rockwell N scale 89.5.These are not the two piece units or castings available from other companies that can potentially fail.These units have 3 press fit pins fusion welded in place of the keys used to locate the unit on the barrel for true "One Piece"design.The M-14 Brake will also be available with or without bayonet lug.

its a brake

morrcarr67
03-18-2011, 7:11 PM
Have you used it? Does it reduce or redirect the flash away from the shooters face?

If you answered no to question one you need to try it.

If you answered no to question two then you are GTG.