PDA

View Full Version : Last Fn-49 Question, I promise

Patriot
10-20-2006, 9:26 PM
Would a Century Arms import, Egyptian FN49 8mm in very good condition be a good buy for 600 OTD? It isn't one of the rarer and - from what I understand - more sought after variants, but is it a good deal? The price is kind of up there for a milsurp, but I understand it's fairly reasonable in relation to current FN49 prices. Don't really want to spend that much (it would really stretch the budget), but the ammo's dirt cheap and the rifles themselves certainly aren't getting any cheaper...I keep trying to look at it as an investment.

Any thoughts?

Vigilante
10-20-2006, 9:52 PM
the rifles themselves certainly aren't getting any cheaper...I keep trying to look at it as an investment.

Well you don't want to be the guy who ten years from now is looking back and wondering why he didn't buy one when they were only $600. Most of the Egyptian FN-49s that I have seen have been been in "good condition" and were price in the $500-550 range. If these guns truly are in very good condition then I would say it is worth it.

Pthfndr
10-20-2006, 10:39 PM
It depends on if it's a Century import, or a Century build parts gun. they made quite a few out of the imported spare parts.

As I understand it, if it has a rubber butt pad vs a steel plate, it's a Century parts gun.

50 Freak
10-21-2006, 8:02 PM
$600 for a correct Egyptian is not a rare thing. It's actually pretty common and prices are only going up on the FN49's.

Addax
10-21-2006, 10:07 PM
If the Century 49 is a Century Build 49 (from left over Egyptian Parts) here is a couple of ways to help identify these from the real Egyptian imports that were sold via Century.

If the Egyptian 49 you are looking at has a dark walnut color stock that looks newer than it should and has a black plastic buttplate, then this is most likely a Century parts gun build.

If the stock is lighter in color (brown, reddish brown, blond) looks sanded and possibly has a serial number on the stock that is not written in Arabic, again this is most likely as Century Parts build. These stocks were mfg. new to help Century build more rifles out of left over parts when they ran out of original stocks.

Other than that, most Egyptian 49's are imports from Egypt.

There is nothing totally wrong with Century built rifles, they just used left over surplus Egyptian and some Belgian parts and built a few thousand rifles out of them, but they are not original Factory rifles...

Paying $550-$600 for a nice shooter is about right.

Hope this helps.

madkiwi
10-24-2006, 9:27 AM
I bought an Armee Luxemburg FN-49 last month from another THR.org member for $600, which I believe was a very fair price.

I would not be adverse to paying $600 for an Egyptian 8mm if I didn't already have my .30-06

50 Freak
10-24-2006, 1:32 PM
Damn, that's a VERY FAIR price for a LUXY (depending on the fact it's not totally thrashed).

A word of advice for you FN49 8mm shooters. Buy as many spare barrels as you can get your hands on. I've seen them going for $35 new (have bought 3 myself).

Addax
10-24-2006, 4:03 PM
Finding a Lux at that price is just awsome! The last one I saw sold for $950 and it was kinda beat up.

If anyone is interested I have a Vene 49 available with 7x57 ammo, please pm me for details.