PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a good dehumidifier

Meety Peety
03-16-2011, 6:58 PM
Hey guys, I recently picked up a new safe to store some extra things that I didn't want/need to have in my larger safe. It was a killer deal so I snatched it up on an impulse buy without really thinking about how I was going to dehumidify it, as it has no power outlet or hole cut in it for a golden rod. So I started looking around for wireless dehumidifiers, and came up with three seemingly decent options but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys who use similar setups. I'm pretty hesitant to put anything important to me in this safe without a quality dehumidifier. Keep in mind this is a very small safe (1.2 cubic feet) and will hold jewelry and possibly 2-3 pistols among other things in our bedroom. What do you guys think will work best of the three listed below? Anyone have a better suggestion? Price isn't a big deal as long as it isn't totally ridiculous. Thanks!

Eva-Dry 300 (http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-EDV-300-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300326791&sr=1-1-catcorr)

Eva-Dry 500 (http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-EDV-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1300326791&sr=1-1)

Silica Can (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=623716)

The last one there comes in multiple sizes as well, so I'd likely get a smaller one. For what it's worth, I'm in San Diego and humidity is definitely not a huge issue here.

*EDIT*
Forgot to mention, the safe is drilled for floor mounting, so I could possibly bore out one of the holes enough to slip a power cord through it. I have the capability/tools to do it, but would this be a bad idea? It seems to me like it would be a bad idea but I don't know.. has anyone done this? Just seems like a Golden Rod would be a more reliable and space-minded option. Help me out!

zinfull
03-16-2011, 7:50 PM
I use 2 Eva Dry 500 for my large safe which is not in the house. It works great, I just keep track as to the indicator and plug them in over night. They last about a month during the winter. I have a small personel safe inside the houde and never used a dehumidifier. I personally do not see a need for one if you house is insulated properly.

jerry

Meety Peety
03-16-2011, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the input. Not sure if this house is insulated properly or not, I don't own it.. but temperatures are normal and we rarely use ac/heat, however it still is somewhat damp in the safe. I put some paper in it to see how it would hold up and by the next day the paper was damp. Maybe I'll do the ol' guess and check method *cringe* and just start off with one Eva-Dry 500 and go from there. It's a small safe, shouldn't take much.. I was more just curious of how well each of the products work.

sk8804
03-16-2011, 11:47 PM
i use the hydrosorbent brand silica canisters. I have two of their large cans in my big safe and they work great. I also have their small ones in my ammo cans and they work good too. Plus they are lifetime warranty.

sk8804
03-16-2011, 11:49 PM
oh and i can verify their customer service and warranty because i got a fauly one once and after a phone call i had my new one it 3 days and they paid for me to ship the bad one back. Great company.

sk8804
03-16-2011, 11:50 PM
haha man, hard to spell on my phone.