PDA

View Full Version : Pistol grip stock....your opinions?

sigguy552
10-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I use to do the whole pistol grip thing but I've actually found it to be uncomfortable as well as make the shotgun difficult to manipulate during clearing and reloading drills. I took an all day class(8hrs, 600rnds+)The pistol grip stock really concentrated the weight of the gun on the top portion of my hand which was not only uncomfortable but made the manipulation during reloading a bit$h. Cool factor wise it scores high but usability it sucks balls. What do you guys think?

Vigilante
10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
I think it makes the guns easier to shoot one handed, which can be fun, but other than that I don't much care for them. They feel too uncomfortable to me.

ZapThyCat
10-20-2006, 11:23 PM
It makes it one sweet gun to look at, but it's not very functional. Hurts your hand pretty bad after shooting too many rounds through it, I found out.

I keep my stock attached. :(

Outlaw Josey Wales
10-21-2006, 8:44 AM
I think it makes the guns easier to shoot one handed, which can be fun, but other than that I don't much care for them. They feel too uncomfortable to me.

One handed! :eek:

Vigilante
10-21-2006, 10:41 AM
One handed! :eek:
Only with birdshot of course. You should try it it's not bad at all. I've never tried it with buckshot or slugs, and I dont really know if I want to.

TonyM
10-21-2006, 10:49 AM
I can go with or without them.

I like it just fine on my M1014 and have no trouble with hundreds of rounds in a session. On the other hand, I have no issues with a traditional stock as well.

My experience with pistol grip shotguns has only been with a Benelli M3 and the M1014, so my opinion is limited.

I haven't used one of the AR Type pistol grip and stock combinations that people sell for shotguns so I can't comment on those other than the looks tell me they might not be comfortable. I could be completely wrong though.

762cavalier
10-21-2006, 4:28 PM
I have one for my 8 shot Mossberg 500. Keep it on the shotgun for home defense because it is handier that way, but I would prefer a pistol grip w/ folding stock. As for regular shooting I keep the stock on it, as it is less tiring to shoot lots of rounds through it.
I have shot it one handed (big giant handgun style:eek: ) with buckshot and slugs but one magazine full is my limit.

blkA4alb
10-21-2006, 4:31 PM
I have one for my 8 shot Mossberg 500. Keep it on the shotgun for home defense because it is handier that way, but I would prefer a pistol grip w/ folding stock. As for regular shooting I keep the stock on it, as it is less tiring to shoot lots of rounds through it.
I have shot it one handed (big giant handgun style:eek: ) with buckshot and slugs but one magazine full is my limit.
ATI makes a top folding pistol gripped stock.

762cavalier
10-21-2006, 4:41 PM
Been looking at that one for awhile but never seem to have the funds. Always another gun or ammo that I need.;) So many guns, so few funds:mad:

Black_Talon
10-21-2006, 4:46 PM
Standard stock for me.

I've tried PG stocks over and over during the past 30 years and I keep coming back to the standard type stock. They're faster to point/maneuver and the recoil is easier to manage.

My 2¢, YMMV.

x2delight
10-22-2006, 2:29 AM
you guys need to try the Knoxx Breachers grip if you like PG.

that thing is the best thing ever. recoil is almost non existant. and shooting one hand is easy as hell too..

randy
11-17-2006, 6:20 AM
I guess it would depend on what I was using the shotty for. For hunting or clay games then conventional stock. For 3 gun or HD then pistol grip for me.

fastsvt1998
11-17-2006, 6:31 AM
Another vote for PG. I have the ATI top folder on a Mossie 500 and love it. I like I that I have 2 options.

BossHog
11-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I like both the standard or PG (w/stock) stocks but prefer the PG for re-loading one-handed.

Mike-4
11-17-2006, 8:24 PM
I used to shoot my Benelli with the pg stock for years but recently found the standard stock much more comfortable.

Richie Rich
11-18-2006, 7:49 AM
I just ordered one of the AR style pistol grip/collapsable stocks for my 590. Will give my opinions once I get it.

When I bought the gun I ordered it with a pistol grip. After my first shooting trip with it I traded it for a standard stock...

The Professional
11-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Ati.

Nismo
11-20-2006, 1:35 PM
The ONLY pistol grips I would recommend is if its a KNOXX.

ivanimal
11-20-2006, 2:56 PM
I think you could get the message across without vulgarities.

I like the stock grip as it is easier to handle for me.

rorschach
11-20-2006, 4:35 PM
I had a Choate full stock with PG on one of my 870's, I liked the way it looked, and it was very confortable, but like the OP posted, the action lock was very difficult to manipulate. One needs to let go of the grip, move their hand up to work the release, then grasp the grip again. I prefer the straight stock on pumpguns.

Mute
11-20-2006, 7:29 PM
Personally not a fan of the pistol grip stock on shotguns.

triaged
11-22-2006, 9:27 AM
I still like a normal stock on a shotgun. I prefer wood over syn. as well because the syn. is too light (puts weight balance farther forward). If it was for home defense I would still go with a standard wood stock but would like it cut down a bit shorter so it could be shouldered more easily.

Dr. T
11-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I have an M2 Tactical that came with a pistol grip. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I like the feel of it, like being able to hold it one-handed for tactical purposes.