PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 Mosin Nagant M38 and the Range...

jp.cherokee
10-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Finally took my $100.00 out the door Mosin Nagant 7.62 x 54R to the range today. Due to time constraints I went to American Shooting Center in San Diego. It's only 25 yards, but good enough for a first time. The first trigger pull was a little nervous, but flawless. I've never shot a bolt action before, so I pulled the trigger and WHAM to the shoulder :eek: , WOW, COOL :D ... Pull the bolt, chamber another round, flawless, sink the butt deep into the meat of my sholder, WHAM, WOW, COOL. I went through 20 rounds, that is all I could take for the first outting. I LIKE IT...Sure would be nice to have one of those huge "thick" Russian coats. Yes, comrad my shoulder is sore, but I LIKE IT...

M. Sage
10-21-2006, 8:25 AM
Yeah, they're an addictive rifle. Congrats! :D

You'll get the hang of how to shoot it without killing yourself. Pull that stock in DEEP, make sure you've got all the contact you can possibly get against your shoulder, lean forward a bit, and let 'er rip.

Pick up a ten-pack of these for the total MN shooting experience:

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=MN03

And remember to clean it for corrosive after shooting surplus ammo. Other than needing to clean it at the range, I'm totally happy with shooting old surplus through mine.

TMC
10-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Other than needing to clean it at the range

It can wait until you get home. Just spray a bit of windex w/ammonia down the bore, let it sit for a few minutes and swab clean. Then a bit if CLP and your done, unless you really want to clean the bore for copper and fowling which means the whole routine.

M. Sage
10-21-2006, 1:36 PM
Nah, I don't get too anal with it at the range. I just soak a few patches with water, run 'em through, then patch dry and put a coat of Hoppes solvent in for the drive home.

Usually it only takes a few more solvent patches to get it the rest of the way clean after I get home. On the plus side, the little "pre-clean" at the range seems to make it a bit easier to get clean when you get home. I do my pre-clean when the gun's still warm.

mike100
10-21-2006, 3:46 PM
I always wait a couple hours and clean it at home. It isn't that important. My m44 bore is chrome shiny still. The czech steel core stuff is super cheap, but it can't be shot in many places.

I also got a 24/47 on the sam dros and shooting that with hot 8mm Yugo ammo really hurts. make the x54r seem like a tame round.

BTW, the bore on my m44 is like new (as it is a postwar 1946 example), but the m38 I bought sucks bad and I get better patterns with my full choke sgotgun. the bore is shot out. I just about had the bullets clover-leafed at iron sights indoor range when I shot the m44 the first time the evening I got it. How's your m38?

guimus
10-21-2006, 6:41 PM
My M38 will put most shots into 5" at 100 yards. The bore is pretty nasty, but it shoots well enough. Every once in a while there's one shot way off (sometimes off the paper) which I think must be due to ammo variations. I just got two tins of the Hungarian light ball, though, so I can test that theory.

Justang
11-19-2006, 12:22 AM
I just got one... well, I bought it anyway. I don't get it for a few more days. :(
Can't wait. this will be my first bolt action rifle as well. Big 5 for $89.99.

Richie Rich
11-19-2006, 5:56 AM
Congrats on your new commie boomstick.

I love my M38, it always draws a crowd at the range. Sometimes I spend almost as much time answering questions and letting others shoot it then actually shooting it myself.

The local indoor range will not let me shoot my milsurp ammo and the cost of WWB 7.62x54r was killing me ($15+ for 20 rounds). Found Olympic ammo at Turners for $5 a box so I use that.

The sore shoulder thing was fun for a while but got old so I got a slip on recoil pad. $30 well spent. Now the ladies love shooting my rifle.

Started a little Nagant army amongst my friends. Three of us have them and 2 more are in the waiting period as we speak.

Vepr62
11-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Took my Big-5 M-38 and my antique Fin M-39 out yesterday to Rancho Cordova Shooting Center.
M-38: Shoots 4 inches high at 25 yards, I think the front sight is too short. Rear sight was at its lowest setting. Group was about 3 inches spread with 5 shots. Barrel has some pitting but not that bad, and it is counterbored at the muzzle about 1/4 of an inch. Was short on ammo so i didn't try it at 100 yards.
M-39: Russian hexagonal receiver, retrofited with "B" barrel by Fins. Bore is pristine with no pitting whatsoever and groves are very sharp. That thing impressed me. Shot it for the second time. 25 yards with iron sights, milsurp ammo, about 3/4 of an inch spread with 5 shots. Took it to 100 yards, and it printed about 4 inch group with 5 shots. The rear sights were set at 300m. and all bullets went from 1 to 3.5 in high from the poinf of aim.
Both rifles were fired from sand bags with iron sights.

Vasiliy

M. Sage
11-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Your bore is probably counter-bored because at some point a soldier who carried it didn't bother using his cleaning rod kit right. He wasn't using the muzzle cap that guides the cleaning rod down the bore without banging against the crown and wore the crown out. Doesn't really hurt accuracy, though.

WWB is expensive for being crappy. It's only so-so IMO. I haven't tried Olympic, but if you guys want the REAL recoil experience, track down some Ingman. I still have a few of their 150 gr SP ammo, it kicks noticeably harder and is noticeably louder than anything else I've shot in my 91/30. Should make a hell of a flash in a M38 or M44. 7.62x54R.net claims it's doing about 3,000 FPS out of a 91/30. :eek: Ssssssmokin!

@ Richie: do you shoot off the bench a lot? That's about the only time I've had trouble with the recoil... If you're standing or kneeling, it's not so bad... as long as you're not holding it like it's an AR. :P

Richie Rich
11-19-2006, 2:05 PM
I have not shot mine from the bench yet. It is not that I have trouble with the recoil, but after a night of shooting I do get a little soreness. Has to do with being thin and having shoulder problems.

Just figured I might as well make it more comfortable. Also makes my girlfriend want to shoot it more and she looks good doing it :D

I always wondered what the heck that thing was in the cleaning kit (muzzle cap). Makes sense now that you mentioned it. I have always just used pressed the web of my hand onto the end of the barrel to guide the cleaning rod in. Glad you mentioned it before I screwed up the barrel on mine....

Mike 56
11-29-2006, 8:51 PM
The Nagant front sight fix shrink tube for wiring. You can find it at auto parts store. A Limbsaver slip on recoil pad tames a nagants recoil. Wal-Mart has them for twenty dollars worth every penny. Mike

Spiggy
12-01-2006, 11:43 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/?action=view&current=kvnM44.flv
My freind kevin firing off his M44 for the first time. We had some soft loads for him because we werent too sure if he'd be able to take it. -slowly he started using the surplus, and fireballs ensued :D

And yes, the first shot, he hit the target.

pewpewguns
12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I just purchased an M38 (last day of the big 5 sale!) and I'm scouring the internet trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy.
I bought this gun because I keep hearing stories of mighty recoil and incredible reports, so I'm wondering if their is a specific cartridge out there that has more bang than the rest. Price is also a consideration, so, cheap and loud. Hit me with your suggestions!

If you guys have a website you trust for buying cheap ammo pls link the URL,
Thanks.

snafu510
12-03-2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x54r/p/7-62x54r-czech-ammo%2C-800-rd-cases-/cPath/12_42/products_id/1386

Czech silver tip. That's about 8 cents a round (before shipping)

mike100
12-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I got the czech light ball last year from AIM surplus. That seems totally manageable. To tell you the truth I have run a few boxes of olympic 180 gr thru it also with no complaints on recoil. bear in mind that particular surp ammo has a steel core so beware of restrictions (like now during fire season) in CA at various places or times of year. My range kind of allows me to use it..I don't push the issue and I try to bring it out during the wetter months. Turners had the olympic 20 packs for $6 something and I have a couple or three of those on hand for places where the steel core isn't allowed.

The 8mm mauser stuff is what hurts, especially off the bench when your shoulder is at a bad angle.

my m38 is crap, but my m44 was so impressive, I decided to spring for a big box of ammo. I'd like to buy one more next year for my long term storage locker. shipping just kills you though, I'd try to get with the ammo bros when the gun show comes near you.

pewpewguns
12-03-2006, 12:18 PM
thanks guys, Yeah I just picked up 1000 rds of 7.62x39 of Brown Bear from J&G for my yugo sks, I liked their prices.

I'll probably just hold off on picking up a crate of 7.62X54r until the next gun show, stick with that olympic until then.

Why didn't you like your M38 mike? Isn't it just a shorter verison of the M44?

Is 8mm expensive? I was thinking of picking up an 8mm platform sometime in the near future, any recommendations on a specific rifle?

Thanks again.

five.five-six
12-03-2006, 5:50 PM
Finally took my $100.00 out the door Mosin Nagant 7.62 x 54R to the range today. Due to time constraints I went to American Shooting Center in San Diego. It's only 25 yards, but good enough for a first time. The first trigger pull was a little nervous, but flawless. I've never shot a bolt action before, so I pulled the trigger and WHAM to the shoulder :eek: , WOW, COOL :D ... Pull the bolt, chamber another round, flawless, sink the butt deep into the meat of my sholder, WHAM, WOW, COOL. I went through 20 rounds, that is all I could take for the first outting. I LIKE IT...Sure would be nice to have one of those huge "thick" Russian coats. Yes, comrad my shoulder is sore, but I LIKE IT...

I just shot my first one this weekend at big jons camp n shoot, yes adictive

M. Sage
12-03-2006, 7:23 PM

There's practically no difference between the M38 and M44. The main difference is that the M44 has a foldaway bayonet and the M38 doesn't.

IIRC, you can put an M38 in an M44 stock (the Soviets did with a number, IIRC), though definitely not vice-versa.

mike100
12-03-2006, 7:25 PM
thanks guys, Yeah I just picked up 1000 rds of 7.62x39 of Brown Bear from J&G for my yugo sks, I liked their prices.

I'll probably just hold off on picking up a crate of 7.62X54r until the next gun show, stick with that olympic until then.

Is 8mm expensive? I was thinking of picking up an 8mm platform sometime in the near future, any recommendations on a specific rifle?

Thanks again.

my m38 just has a bad bore since it is a wartime 1943 piece and was rode hard and put away wet. It's ugly too. My m44 is a post war (1946) piece that is hardly broke in and the finish is nearly good enough for civilian use.

8mm is getting harder to get.. I have not seen as much of it on the bargain shelf at gunshops lately. Big 5 sells the Yugo mausers for $99 and mine was good..cleaner bores than sks's on average. milsurps: yous spends your money, yous takes your chances. at least you can take a light and look at the big 5 rifles before you pay.

the thing I like about x54r is that is is still in production for machineguns and draganov rifles. barring any klinton/UN bs, the surplus ought to be available for import cheap for a decade or two more. I would mention that my collection is mostly caliber based (not so much historical) since I get what one should expect to be affordable to shoot. The only exception to this at present is that I found out my dad got a type 99 from his father in law as a ww2 bringback in great shape. If I can ever get my mitts on it, I'll be willing to shoot 10-20 rounds thru it to make sure it shoots good.

M. Sage
12-03-2006, 7:28 PM
Import ban BS aside, I'd say that the 54R supply shouldn't dry up for at least 40 or 50 years.

I'm still shooting '50s-vintage ammo. Newest stuff I've had is outta the '80s. I THINK you can get some ex-sniper '90s stuff, but it's as expensive, if not more so, as commercial ammo.

VeryCoolCat
12-03-2006, 7:37 PM
Big Jon and five.five.six were pretty accurate with my m38 mosin. They were turning a log into toothpicks at about 50yards.

With the recoil this gun has.... no one is sure whether or not they hit anything after firing :D

I am not 100% sure and cannot back this up... but there is a chance Big Jon may have shot a small steel target at 250 yards with iron sights.... All I know is I heard him shoot and heard a DING when no one else was shooting.

M. Sage
12-03-2006, 7:45 PM
With the recoil this gun has.... no one is sure whether or not they hit anything after firing :D

Nahh, keep both eyes open and don't let the pain make you blink.

After a thousand rounds, it stops hurting... if you shoot 'em a hundred at a time. :P

pewpewguns
12-03-2006, 8:39 PM
I was surprised at the size of the m38, it was a lot smaller than I had always imagined it. I can see that putting a cartridge that size thru a gun that light would transfer quite a bit of the energy to the shooter :D

Holy crap! "Zip Zone Rates shipping : 56 lb(s) $28.60" thats a third of the cost of the ammo! (that czech silver tip, 800 rds)

five.five-six
12-03-2006, 9:00 PM
that thing shot real nice. and it don't recoil that bad. it is a great plinker

Richie Rich
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
I like mine so much I just bought another one.

Found an M38 Tula at big 5 and just had to have it. Get to go pick it up in 6 more days.

Now to figure out how to get a Dragunaov (or similar) so that I can take better advantage of the bang for the buck factor of 7.62x54r.

M. Sage
12-04-2006, 6:12 AM
Got a 91/30 yet? They're steadier-feeling to me, I have an easier time hitting targets at 100 yards offhand.

Richie Rich
12-05-2006, 6:03 PM
Not yet, but I do not doubt that I will.

I know they are spendy but I would love to get a Dragoon..

Ford8N
12-05-2006, 7:33 PM
I picked up a case (440) of Albainian for $40 cash at the Ventura show. It produces one hell of a fire ball.:D

Spiggy
12-06-2006, 12:56 AM
pull out the pig sticker and roast some meat while you shoot

M. Sage
12-06-2006, 4:53 PM
pull out the pig sticker and roast some meat while you shoot

Shishkabobs!

Stuka
12-07-2006, 5:11 PM
I sporterized my 91/30 because the original stock is not very comfortable or natural feeling. The ATI monte-carlo stock is great. It has a rubber but pad (bye bye steel) and the grip is much nicer. It got it from Big 5 for 79.95 on sale. Its a 1942 soviet model, the original stock is in great shape, I just hated the feeling of it.

M. Sage
12-07-2006, 5:36 PM
I hear ya. I like the stock itself, but hated the shellac, since it was melting off onto me.

Dr. Peter Venkman
12-08-2006, 4:01 PM
Mine does the same thing near the receiver when I go to the range.

At least it's not on the part where I'm touching it. Soup Nazi told me when that happened to ya.

pewpewguns
12-11-2006, 8:42 PM
Get my M38 Thursday!!! :D And I picked up a mauser at the del mar gunshow this weekend, It's been a good month. I AM the second amendment! haha just kidding.. Big 5 made me go to the DMV to get a ridiculous little card that says I moved. Pretty lame, being that I Filled it out. I guess the fact that it touched DMV airspace makes it official. What a pain..