View Full Version : ar15 rimfire conversion

03-15-2011, 6:07 PM
please excuse my ignorance here, im new to the state and really having trouble understanding the laws when it comes to modifications.

I'm interested in buying an ar15 style rifle with a .22lr conversion. I don't plan to shoot .223 in california but have family back home in prairie dog country and would like to be able to swap bolts. If I bought a rifle that was already converted to .22lr and did not have the .223 bolt with it am in in the clear then? Or is it still considered an AW? The way I understand it a rimfire rifle is exempt from all of the AW bans?

Again im sorry to be asking this again, im sure its been answered elsewhere but I was struggling to find specifics.

03-15-2011, 6:29 PM
The caliber doesn't make it an AW, it's the make/model lower that does. You can buy an Off List Lower (OLL) and put all the evil features you desire on a .22 set up. To transition to a .223/5.56 upper you must first install a bullet button and a 10 round mag. All of the evil features are allowable with this type of mod. Installing a 30 round or forgetting to put on the bullet button will make an OLL an AW..

03-15-2011, 6:34 PM
Ok but what if i have a .223 upper but with a .22lr bolt. I'm in the clear then right? Even though the upper still says .223?

03-15-2011, 6:36 PM
Only the serialized part/lower is considered a firearm, so it doesn't matter what the barrel says.

03-16-2011, 8:43 AM
Put a bullet button on it. It takes about 1 minute to change it when you are out of state. 1 minute to put the BB back on when you come home.

03-16-2011, 9:39 AM
Put a bullet button on it. It takes about 1 minute to change it when you are out of state. 1 minute to put the BB back on when you come home.

But i don't need a BB on a rimfire. And just having a BB doesn't allow evil features does it?

03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Evil features yes. Regular capacity mags no. Concerning centerfire only.

Do you have preban 10+ .22 conversion mags? It wouldn't matter because it is rimfie.

03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't have 10+ mags currently and the way i understand it they cant be SOLD to me in california even though they are available in free states? And I can't bring them into the state, so basically while in CA I will be using 10rnd mags?

Now i'm trying to learn about OLL's. Im having trouble understanding them though, so basically I can own any lower not SPECIFICALLY NAMED on the list of banned AR's even if its basically a direct copy? What a pointless law.

03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
The short of it is you DO NOT need the BB for rimfire. But in Kalistan why not? Do you absolutely need fast change mags while plinking? On my .556 stamped lower I convert for range trips to .22 for transport either way. It has a BB because I have a .556 bolt in my possession to shoot "cleaning rounds" after rimfire practice. While all this might be overkill it insures I stay a free person. I do not want to be the test case when some jackoff in backbones wants to make an issue. My gun in not confiscatable with BB. Why chance it. Use a BB on your evil featured AR. Or go featureless with a hammerhead ,fixed stock and muzzle brake.

03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
because legally i can have detachable mags. So i'd like to exercise that right. I think its sad that ppl are so freaked out (but rightfully so) in this state that they are afraid to even have what they legally can.

As i said I don't plan on shooting .223 in California so i won't have a bolt in my possession here. And at this point im considering just buying a .22lr complete upper and then keeping a .223 or 9mm upper out of state. Atleast having a .22lr labeled upper should keep any incidents to a minimum.

03-16-2011, 11:17 AM


03-16-2011, 3:34 PM
First off: Rimfire isn't included on the AW Ban, only centerfire is listed. So put all the "evil features" you want to on your rifle, including a normal magazine release.

If you're going to be traveling in and out of California, you could either buy a dedicated .22 upper from CMMG, they run for like $350 or you could just simply buy the conversion kit for around $200 (both come with a 10 round magazine).

So when you leave the state, just leave it assembled as a Rimfire, the second you cross over CA lines, put your .223 upper on and you're good to go.

03-16-2011, 4:07 PM
Thats the plan, now just need to assemble the bits. Im looking at maybe getting the cmmg .22 and then a second .223 upper. But i guess cmmg wont ship to cali.