PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Iron Sights

The Machine
03-14-2011, 11:39 PM
So I bought an obligatory Ruger 10/22 and put it in a Tapco stock. I was thinking about knocking off the factory sights and rail mounting some new iron sights, back up style. Anyone have experience with this format? I am concerned that sights made for, say an AR-15 platform, may not be compatable with the 10/22. The Tech-Sights look nice, but I want to maintain a pop and swap type of thing.

Thanks.

erik_26
03-15-2011, 9:27 AM
The factory sights are right on. No need to get crazy and spend more money on accessories then the gun with worth.

All I did was mount the rail it comes with, mounted a cheap $30 berska scope and never looked back.

I have a blast. Everyone that shoots it love it. It is so much fun.

Bigdaa
03-15-2011, 9:31 AM
Well, somebody out there has got what you want I'm sure. Plenty of ways to separate you and your money with a 10-22.

The Machine
03-15-2011, 9:45 AM
The factory sights are just not my cup of tea. I would prefer to have sights that I can easily adjust. Besides, the factory rail kind of obstructs my sight picture.

trob
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
The factory sights are just not my cup of tea. I would prefer to have sights that I can easily adjust. Besides, the factory rail kind of obstructs my sight picture.

why do you have the rail on if youre using iron sights?

heavyrecoil
03-15-2011, 10:51 AM
The Tech Sights-- which you've already looked at-- and the Williams Fire Sights are good options. There are also a number of adjustable rear sights available that clamp on to either a Weaver-type mount or a rimfire dovetail, try a Google search.

heavyrecoil
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
...although some of those will also require a higher front sight post.

red_eyez
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I bought a $20 Barska scope, mounted on the stock rail that came with my 10/22 and it works great! Took only a few minutes to adjust and zero it. Once that is done, the bullet puts right where "+" was aiming. I'm impressed and happy with this inexpensive scope.

The Machine
03-15-2011, 1:48 PM
It was my intention to mount some iron sights to both the factory rail and the upper rail of the Tapco stock. I would eventually mount a red dot up there as well. I like the idea of the pop up, backup style, iron sights. I just don't know if the math works out, meaning the height of the iron sights vs the weapon bore line.

hnoppenberger
03-15-2011, 2:19 PM
tech sights and be done with it.

OHW
03-15-2011, 9:14 PM
Tech sights and Simmons .22 mag 4x scope, equals money well spent. Try not to blow $$ on stocks and barrels. A recrown and accuglass bed job will be better pennys spent towards a sharp shooter.

resident-shooter
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I would stick with a red dot sight

jackandblood
03-16-2011, 7:29 AM
since the factory sights are mounted directly on the barrel they essentially will point where ever the barrel points, regardless of any outside interference. A tru-glow type front sight replacement might be a good idea as that gold or brass point is not visible to me. I go with my standard cheap but effective solution. Add contrasting dots using the super neon green shoot nc targets. At this point im not even sure I will mount optics. The way the stock sights are part of the barrel, making adjusted for elevation irrelevant (unless you're trying for ranges with significant bullet drop) makes em pretty viable out to range.

The Machine
03-16-2011, 8:22 AM
The rifle now, has a very modular look and feel to it. Factory sights just don't jive with it and neither would any upgrades such as Tech Sights or Fire Sights.

Perhaps this question is better suited to the gunsmithing section?

OHW
03-16-2011, 9:37 AM
Perhaps the tapco stock belongs on another type of rifle. Or like a previous poster said a red dot sight keeping with the tacticool look you are trying for.

Head416
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech sights and Simmons .22 mag 4x scope...

Can you elaborate on this? Maybe post a pic? My scope rail and Tech-Sights want to occupy the same holes on the receiver, so I'm trying to decide how I might install them both.

Thanks.

OHW
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Currently using the Simmons scope with the factory irons as back ups. For Appleseed tech sights will be installed in place of the scope.
My prior suggestion was about best value least regret purchases. Not an AR type BUIS combo.

The Machine
03-16-2011, 5:01 PM
My scope rail and Tech-Sights want to occupy the same holes on the receiver, so I'm trying to decide how I might install them both.

This is similar to my problem as I want to eliminate the factory sights altogether. I don't know what you plan to use. Have you tried those see through scope rings? No idea if they might work with Tech-Sights.

Mister BLASTEE
03-16-2011, 5:08 PM
Anyone use the Hi Viz sights? I was looking at those as an option

Squidward
03-18-2011, 1:41 PM
I saw one of these a couple of days ago. Looks interesting and IIRC it was $180.00.

http://www.laserlyte.com/download/instructions/pdf/RL-1022.pdf

jackandblood
03-18-2011, 4:25 PM
Anyone use the Hi Viz sights? I was looking at those as an option

not specifically for the 10/22 but the light gathering pipes work well. in low light they are a dim but solid color dot pretty good visibility. In room light (or indoor range light) they are highly visible and kinda glow like they have an internal power source. in natural light, sunny, the orange ones lose their contrast with the bright environment, green is better for me.