View Full Version : New Member. PCSing to CA.

03-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I just found out today that I will be getting an assignment to CA.
I am a Nevada resident and will be moving from Nebraska.
I lived in CA from birth until 19 when I enlisted. I plan to keep my NV residency, vehicle registration and DL. I look forward to referring to this site for CA gun related info.

03-14-2011, 11:35 PM
You going to Edwards?

03-15-2011, 6:48 AM

03-15-2011, 9:21 AM
You going to Edwards?

Any links to info directed at active duty Military moving to CA? There is a ton of info on this site!

03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
welcome to the forum.

03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
If you post what base your going to you will get some locals to help you out too. Good luck on your move!

I'd rather not here, but thanks for the tip. I'll hook up with some local members once I get there. It's still a little ways out.

03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Just so you guys know, that information as to assignments are protected under the Privacy Act of 1974. The only way to get that is sign your life away to "try" and get the information. As a Privacy Act manager for the AF, I know those rules and we deny any request for personal info, including assignments. That's how the bad guys can build info on a person and eventually use it to their advantage. Thanks, but don't ask!

Big E
03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't care where you're coming from or where you're going to, but welcome to CA and welcome to the site. Check the threads, there have been questions from other people in your situation. Again, welcome to Calguns.

03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the Calguns. Enjoy.

03-16-2011, 9:03 AM
Welcome to Calguns !!!

03-16-2011, 9:19 AM
Welcome aboard. As you have already noticed, lots of useful info and helpful folks here.

03-16-2011, 9:22 AM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

03-18-2011, 6:20 PM
I've been scouring this site for the last two days and it's all making my head spin. The military assault weapon permit seems like a no-go for most anyone. This is on the application form:
Official letter signed by the applicant's Base Commander, establishing that a bona fide necessity exists for use of personal assault weapons in sanctioned military activities. The letter must include a current telephone number for the Base Commander's office.

Unless I have a super cool "gun-guy" as a Wing Commander, I couldn't see anyone signing off on this. It seems two out of the three lowers I have are "off list" so I may go that route.

I did have one question for the DOJ (emailed them) and that is the fact that I own a bunch of PMAGs and M9 mags that I carry on duty, for official use, and are privately owned by me (not government property). It would be easy to just store these on base, but we'll see what they say.