PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the best place to Use my C&R for an SKS?

cornholio1
10-18-2006, 3:50 PM
I don't want to pay sales tax or DROS. Where can I find a decent priced SKS shipped to my door? Thanks

ocabj
10-18-2006, 6:02 PM
Nowhere in particular. You'll just have to hunt around online to find someone with a Russian SKS (or other SKS that was built prior to 1956) that is selling and will ship to you, as a C&R holder in California.

I've heard in the past that Interordnance was shipping Yugo SKS M59/66 with the CA mods directly to C&R holders, even though that's not legal by CA law (and questionable by Federal law, with regards to the permanent modification thus altering the original state of the C&R rifle).

Easiest bet would be to drive out to the Las Vegas gun show this weekend (or another out of state gun show like the Phoenix or Reno) and buy one in person. Just bring a copy of your C&R with you.

smeg
10-19-2006, 9:30 AM
a good place is the classifieds at this sks forum:

http://sksboards.com/forum/index.php

can also check out gunbroker. just have to know what you are looking for and know reasonable prices.

here's mine from the sks forum

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't want to pay sales tax or DROS. Where can I find a decent priced SKS shipped to my door? Thanks

Anywhere.

In the advertisements, just look to see if they are C & R eligible.

chiefcrash
10-19-2006, 1:20 PM
somewhat related question: what happened to people who had a yugo 59/66 BEFORE they decided it was a "destructive device"? were they required to register it or modify it or something?

Dr. Peter Venkman
10-19-2006, 3:02 PM
No idea.

It's funny, banning the Yugos with the grenade launcher mount.

You know, considering you can't buy grenades legally.

TonyNorCal
10-19-2006, 7:23 PM
The only C&R eligible SKS in California is a Russian dated 1955 or earlier. Why not 56? Well, it's greater than 50 years and we really have no way of knowing when in 1956 a 56 dated SKS was produced. That's the technicality of it. And, I know it's stupid that in California the exact same rifle dated one year cab be sent direct to a C&R and dated a later year has to be DROSd, 10 day waited, and lock purchased:rolleyes: .

Russian SKSs aren't imported any longer and are therefore only going to be available from private parties (or shops/dealers that happen to get one).

Some Romanian SKS's were produced in 1956...and those will be eligible Jan. 1
(Romanians were produced from 56-62)

Chinese Type 56 SKS production began in 1956. Some those will also be eligible Jan.1. But keep in mind the vast majority of Chinese SKS's will be later dates...I think it would be pretty tough to try and find a 1956 Chinese SKS.

Yugo 59s (no grenade launcher) will be along in a few more years.

Personally I think Russians are the most desireable. That's good as most are C&R eligible here:) . They're the original SKS.

Look around on other gun forums. Gunboards has them every so often. GunBroker always has a few.

Here's a Russian on ar15 for 250 shipped. And the date is right.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=384860

Icarus
10-20-2006, 8:54 AM
The 59 is the year of manufacture for the yugo 59

maxicon
10-20-2006, 1:23 PM
somewhat related question: what happened to people who had a yugo 59/66 BEFORE they decided it was a "destructive device"? were they required to register it or modify it or something?

Anyone who had one without realizing they had DDs on the barrel had the same basic choices as non-named assault weapons: modify them (remove and destroy the GL), turn them in, or send them out of state.

They were never legal in California, even before the CADOJ memo. It just took them a while to notice.

The 59 is the year of manufacture for the yugo 59

'59 is when they started making them. They manufactured them for a number of years, I understand. I'd check sksfiles to see if there's a SN reference.

max

whozzit
08-05-2008, 5:41 PM
You can buy your SKS anywhere. Only requirement (C&R) is that it be more than 50 years old. In CA, on the other hand, it has to be 50 years old and "stock". Which is to say that if it had a bayonet, the bayonet still has to be there, and the magazine must be "fixed" and hold no more than the original ten rounds. CA will not allow any grenade launcher attached to an SKS (You can see their point on this; can't you? I used to hate it when grenades were flying all over the place!)

scr83jp
08-05-2008, 5:59 PM
Check with www.centuryarms.com I know they have ammo & Romanian rifles

Prince50
08-05-2008, 7:37 PM
FUNNY!!!!! ROTFLMAO

Whozzit, you waited 2 years to respond to this post? I hope he got his SKS by now.

Darin

caldude
08-05-2008, 8:17 PM
Dude - you do know you just replied to a post from TWO YEARS AGO don't you? :rolleyes:

Julians4x4
08-06-2008, 8:50 AM
FUNNY!!!!! ROTFLMAO

Whozzit, you waited 2 years to respond to this post? I hope he got his SKS by now.

Darin

LOL.....That was funny.........

Patriot Man
10-28-2010, 7:49 PM
Probably a dumb question, but can people do PPT of SKS rifles within and/or between states without a FFL or without a C&R licesne as it is a curio/relic at this point in 2010? I guess a 2 part question: Can two private parties buy/sell a SKS to each other without any paperwork? Can those parties be in different states- one in California and say one in Nevada if the SKS is original with no mods, and not have to go through any FFL. Does the seller have to have a C&R license?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-28-2010, 8:02 PM
Another two year bump! :p

Probably a dumb question, but can people do PPT of SKS rifles within and/or between states without a FFL or without a C&R licesne as it is a curio/relic at this point in 2010? I guess a 2 part question: Can two private parties buy/sell a SKS to each other without any paperwork? Can those parties be in different states- one in California and say one in Nevada if the SKS is original with no mods, and not have to go through any FFL. Does the seller have to have a C&R license?

Any time residents of two different States want to transfer a firearm between them the transfer has to go though an FFL. This is Federal law, so it doesn't matter how free the particular States' laws are. For instance, if you were a resident of Nevada and your father was a resident of Arizona and he wanted to give you a firearm as a gift, the transfer would have to be processed through an FFL.

In most States, if two residents of that same State want to transfer a firearm between them, no FFL is required. However, in California the law requires most firearms transfers to go through a "California licensed dealer". One exception to California's dealer transfer requirement is for C&R long guns that are at least 50 years old. So if you wanted to buy a 50+ year old SKS from another Californian you could do it without an FFL getting involved.

trashman
10-28-2010, 8:07 PM
AGH! I think I remember when this was bumped two years ago.

Patriot Man
10-28-2010, 8:52 PM
Another two year bump! :p

Any time residents of two different States want to transfer a firearm between them the transfer has to go though an FFL. This is Federal law, so it doesn't matter how free the particular States' laws are. For instance, if you were a resident of Nevada and your father was a resident of Arizona and he wanted to give you a firearm as a gift, the transfer would have to be processed through an FFL.

In most States, if two residents of that same State want to transfer a firearm between them, no FFL is required. However, in California the law requires most firearms transfers to go through a "California licensed dealer". One exception to California's dealer transfer requirement is for C&R long guns that are at least 50 years old. So if you wanted to buy a 50+ year old SKS from another Californian you could do it without an FFL getting involved.

Thanks- I kinda figured it out with the search function and reading other posts. Thanks for taking the time to answer the question ;)

Vlad 11
10-28-2010, 9:26 PM
In Before the 2112 Bump!

johnthomas
10-29-2010, 1:52 AM
gunbroker.com auctionarms.com

olhunter
10-29-2010, 6:06 AM
gunbroker.com auctionarms.com

You know he asked that question 4 years ago, right?

Just checking.

Oh, aimsurplus.com in case he's STILL looking.

If he saved $10 a month since then, he can afford a nice Russian by now.