PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Ruger 10/22

red_eyez
03-14-2011, 9:25 AM
Due to economy, I finally bought the first 22lr rifle to cure my "itchy finger syndrome". Didn't really like the cheap synthetic stock that came with it, so I swapped out with the Tapco's. Took it to the range on Sunday, and boy.. I was having a blast! honestly, I never felt this good before when shooting with my bigger caliber handguns, couldn't get my mid off the number of ammo during the shoots. Still love them all, but I think I'll be shooting more with the 10/22. Brought with me to range was a Federal 525 bulk box, this time I didn't even have to think a bit, but rather just kept on shooting/concentrating on the target. Had total of 3 stovepipe during my first 100 rounds, but didn't have any after that. I think that's acceptable during the break-in periods. Now I wanted to try it out at the longer range. Does anyone know any long ranges near OC? Thx!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x5/red_eyez_bucket/Sports/IMAG0225.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x5/red_eyez_bucket/Sports/IMAG0230.jpg

trob
03-14-2011, 9:48 AM
sounds good.

How do you gauge accuracy after creating such a large hole?

Good looking rifle, sounds like youre going to have a a lot of fun with it. :13:

ElvenSoul
03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats!

Kryptyde
03-14-2011, 3:18 PM
Congrats!

At $.03/round you can shoot for ages and not break the bank. This leaves you with some extra cash to buy some nice mods for your 10/22 ... or be more clever than me and save it :)

I went with .22LR caliber to save money and now have gone and blown near $2k on my new gun ... thats some serious false economy, heh

red_eyez
03-14-2011, 5:52 PM
Congrats!

At $.03/round you can shoot for ages and not break the bank. This leaves you with some extra cash to buy some nice mods for your 10/22 ... or be more clever than me and save it :)

I went with .22LR caliber to save money and now have gone and blown near $2k on my new gun ... thats some serious false economy, heh

Thanks, man you spent some serious $$ on your 22LR, hope you didn't turn it into a full auto machine gun :)

morrcarr67
03-14-2011, 6:16 PM
Check out this website for ranges in California

http://www.huntingnavigator.com/huntingdir/californiashooting.html

WDE91
03-14-2011, 6:44 PM
in Orange County to shoot outdoors you have a couple options
in no particular order
Burro canyon
Angeles Shooting Range
BLM Land
Prado

morrcarr67
03-14-2011, 7:43 PM
Burro Canyon = Los Angeles county
Angeles Shooting Range = Los Angeles county
Prado Shooting Range = San Bernardino county
BLM land = Better check with the local BLM office

gun505
03-14-2011, 8:11 PM
nice gun very fun to shoot.turners was selling them for 199.00. I got mine a while back pre ban.

red_eyez
03-14-2011, 8:35 PM
thanks everyone for the tips with the ranges. I will try them out with buddy coworkers soon. Yes, I bought this at Turners when they had them on sale for $199 last couple weeks. I almost burned another Winchester 333 box during my lunch today:D, then stopped by Big-5 on the way home this evening and grabbed another Blazer 525 box. I didn't realized it was a lead bullet rounds until got home and opened it up. Should've read the small letters on the box. Does anyone have experienced with lead ammo going thru your 10/22? the only think I can think of is may be they will be dirtier than the MJ. Should I clean the barrel once in very 100rds or so during shoot?? or just normal cleaning after range time is good enuf. Thx!

ArticleTheFourth
03-14-2011, 8:47 PM
thanks everyone for the tips with the ranges. I will try them out with buddy coworkers soon. Yes, I bought this at Turners when they had them on sale for $199 last couple weeks. I almost burned another Winchester 333 box during my lunch today:D, then stopped by Big-5 on the way home this evening and grabbed another Blazer 525 box. I didn't realized it was a lead bullet rounds until got home and opened it up. Should've read the small letters on the box. Does anyone have experienced with lead ammo going thru your 10/22? the only think I can think of is may be they will be dirtier than the MJ. Should I clean the barrel once in very 100rds or so during shoot?? or just normal cleaning after range time is good enuf. Thx!

What you call 'MJ' is not metal jacketed - it's copper plated, a very, very thin layer of electroplated copper. The 'bare' lead looking bullet is coated with a 'clear' lube so it will be just fine. Just clean after each shooting session as you normally do and you'll be good to go.

A new 10/22 likes higher velocity ammo at 1200 fps or higher like the Blazer (1235). Once you've had 1k rounds or so through the gun, it should also shoot target ammo such as Wolf that is 1080 fps; more accurate. ;)

red_eyez
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you ArticleTheFourth, for the clarification along with great tip for breaking-in, using high velocity ammo. So glad that I asked... and so proud of Calguners, I learn something new everyday!!