PDA

View Full Version : In Wall Safe

TWoods450
03-13-2011, 7:59 PM
I don't have a ton of space in my house for a full size safe, as of right now my rifles are in TSA approved hard cases w/ 3 locks on each stashed in a closet away from the kids, hand gun is in a GunVault Multi-Deluxe. The current setup helps keep them safe from the kids. My wife and I are planning a couple trips this summer so I want to make it more difficult for them to be stolen.

My question is has anyone used the Stack-On IWC-55 In Wall safe? Is it secure? I know most of the Stack-On safes I have seen in the stores seem kind of flimsy so I'm not super sure about them. If secured well to studs should this provide enough security? or would I be better off getting a full size safe, and trying to make room for it in my garage? if I went with the full size I was looking at the GV5926-F.

JETLAG
03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
They are cheap. Get a Full Size

WWDHD?
03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I've seen these in catalogs. The only advantage would be it could be hidden away in a closet or some other creative place. But if its found I'll bet you could pry it open or even out of the wall fairly easily. Almost certain its not DOJ approved as a gun safe.
If your really tight on space just get a CA DOJ gun safe thats small enough to fit inside of a closet and bolt it down to the floor as well as through the back or side into a wall beam of possible. Make it as difficult as possible for someone to rip it out of the closet and run off with it on a hand truck. you'll have a lot more piece of mind while out on vacation.
I'm not real impressed with Stack-on safes/lockers but they are better than nothing. Especially with kids, get something with the CA DOJ stamp of approval.
Tell us your space and budget constraints and I'm sure many here will offer recomendations.
AMSEC used to make a padded bench looking piece of furniture that had a horizontal safe inside long enough for rifles. Don't know if they still make it or not but that might work out for you.
Good luck.

TWoods450
03-14-2011, 5:45 AM
Thanks Guys, in looking more into a bunch of them, it seems the biggest one will only hole 3 long guns, which just isn't enough, and doesn't leave much room for expansion. I think I'll clear out a spot in the garage and get a 10-12 gun safe.

Now to clean the garage ans see what I can get rid of that I don't use much in there.