PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Rebarrel Question

badgerfan84
03-13-2011, 8:12 PM
Hello everyone, I am thinking about rebarreling my German 98 mauser in .260 Rem. My question is: Do I have to replace the extractor that is in 8mm Mauser to a different size extractor? I guess what I'm asking is: What would I all need to do to change over my Mauser from 8mm Mauser to .260 Rem? Thanks everyone.

Paul_R
03-13-2011, 8:16 PM
The extractor is fine though you may or may not have to contour the face a wee bit to match the different case head. You'll have to feed a dummy round or two to find out.

kendog4570
03-13-2011, 8:54 PM
Case head diameter is same for both rounds. .473" nominal. Might be some small differences in extractor groove configuration. Should have little or no trouble in this area.
The short answer is all you need is a barrel properly fitted in the new caliber. 260 is a little shorter than 8 MM JS so should fit and feed fine from the magazine.

bellson
03-13-2011, 8:58 PM
I've done quite a number of .308 and 30.06 conversions. The most I have had to do is re contour the feed ramps a little for 30.06, and relieve the extractor on the bottom a little to aid in smooth chambering.

I have zero experience with .260, but it should be about the same. Take your time, use some dichem to help figure out where things are hanging up. Go slowly. One-off projects always take a lot of time. Once you do one, all the rest go like clockwork.

Post pics, show off your success.

badgerfan84
03-13-2011, 9:06 PM
Thanks for the great info everyone. You guys have given me some great information and have been very helpful.