PDA

View Full Version : What kind of targets do you shoot at Panoche

the_lynch_family
10-17-2006, 6:19 PM
Heres one I built for the trip in a couple weeks. Its a 15x15 armor plate ,ar500.
I built the stand from scrap the construction guys had laying around my data center. If anyone has an idea on a simpler or LIGHTER frame please share your ideas. This thing weighs at least 20 pounds but maybe that good since the plate weighs about that also. I think I may paint the plate white so you can see the impacts.

Heres a pic of the plate painted white and cross beam added for extra support. And the plate lowered 5 inches for better balance.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/the_lynch_family/DSCF2816.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/the_lynch_family/DSCF2815.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/the_lynch_family/DSCF2811.jpg

C.G.
10-17-2006, 6:56 PM
Looks awesome. Just a suggestion, you may want to paint the gong a brighter color for shooting longer distances.

joel1316
10-18-2006, 7:43 AM
Looks like it may tip over? Center of gravity looks high?
I "had" a plate that I shot a 30/06 with it and knocked the stand over....

C.G.
10-18-2006, 9:43 AM
Since he has holes in the stand, he can stake it.

the_lynch_family
10-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I dont think this thing will flip over. Remember, the plate swings and the legs are almost 3ft in lenght. And its not much taller then that. Also, One big plus with this stand is that I can hang the gong at any height in about 30 seconds. Theres 17 holes down the sides of the stand. I just happened to put at the top hole for the pic. When I actually do take it out for the first time I may drop it down 3-4 holes or so. But heck, I guess I could try it where its at to see if it would actually flip over,,LOL, really doubt it though

joel1316
10-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Mind if I ask how much you paid for your plate?
Mines is 3/4" thick but its really soft, but it was free... A 223 at about 100 yards almost went all the way through.

the_lynch_family
10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I paid 80 bucks for the 15x15 plate. Then with shipping and the hangers it came to $130. I tried to buy it locally but they wanted $125 for the plate. I figured I would support a board member instead ,,who had great feedback. I have shot plenty of mild steel but wanted something that would last me for years and I dont have access to a welder to weld up the holes in the mild plates I have now that are all tore up.
Heres a quote from someone who has used the ar500 plates from the person I got mine from.

Armdctzn left one out at our local range on the 200 yard line (more like 185-190). We have shot the living crap out of it with 55gr, 62gr, and 77gr 5.56 and plenty of 168/175gr .308 and a fair amount of 30'06. Its not even dented. My guess is its been hit with 600-800 rounds in just the two trips I've been out there (between all the people shooting it).

You might do more damage to it at 100 yards, but at 180-200 it shrugs off anything we have thrown at it (I assume 147gr black tip 308/3006 would destroy it so I did not fire anything like that at it. Its black tip for a reason!).

QUOTE=joel1316]Mind if I ask how much you paid for your plate?
Mines is 3/4" thick but its really soft, but it was free... A 223 at about 100 yards almost went all the way through.[/QUOTE]

tteng
10-18-2006, 1:15 PM
I would bolt on some narrow plate(s) just to protect the support-legs from strays. Also, an adjustable cross beam on the bottom might help to support the whole structure if the ground is uneven, or if you have to open up the bottom a bit. My 2c.

joel1316
10-18-2006, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the info! Plates are the way to go at Panoche... No garbage left and that "ding" really sounds good!

the_lynch_family
10-18-2006, 1:38 PM
Ya, on the cross beam. The one I cut yesterdasy was a bit to long so it opened up the legs to much. I just finished cutting the square tube to fit. So now there is absolutely no movement on the legs. This thing is rock solid , but weighs in at about 25 lbs. Thats without the plate. I am not worried about the legs being shot up from a bad shot or deflect. I have tons of the tubing around right now. The construction guys are just throwing away 3ft-5ft sections. So I have just been saving it up for spares. This is some pretty tuff tubing. We use it in our data center to build structures to hold up all the commercail power , network cables etc. I think in the future I may do someting with an adjustabel cross supports. I have all the parts here , I just have to tweek on it a bit.

I would bolt on some narrow plate(s) just to protect the support-legs from strays. Also, an adjustable cross beam on the bottom might help to support the whole structure if the ground is uneven, or if you have to open up the bottom a bit. My 2c.

the_lynch_family
10-18-2006, 1:39 PM
Are you going out there on the 28th. If you are you are welcome to shoot the hell out of it..LOL

Thanks for the info! Plates are the way to go at Panoche... No garbage left and that "ding" really sounds good!

joel1316
10-19-2006, 8:26 AM
Thanks for the offer, but we'll be seeing Disney on Ice that day, LOL....
Maybe we'll bump into each other there one day, your welcome to add more holes in my plate, LOL. I need to make a new/cheaper stand. I built a stand last time and it got destroyed by the end of the day. I've also got about a dozen bowling pins to destroy too...

BigMac
10-20-2006, 8:03 PM
Bring stakes to keep it from getting knocked over. .30 cal hits pretty damn hard.

I'm still coming and I have a new toy to try :D

I just sold 4 handguns from my personal collection to buy myself an M1A standard LDD with stainless barrel. :cool:

I hope to have my tripod stabiliser and I will bring my headspace tool to help you setup the 1919.

I need more ss109 and I'm out at the dang store :mad:

the_lynch_family
10-21-2006, 8:36 AM
I will bring some tent stakes. Thats awsome on the M1A. congrats. And thanks for bringing the headspace tool. I cant wait to try her out. I am getting ready to go to the gun show north of us to see all the jerky and beanie babies, LOL.
I will come by later this week to talk about caravaning up there next Saturday.
Lynch

Bring stakes to keep it from getting knocked over. .30 cal hits pretty damn hard.

I'm still coming and I have a new toy to try :D

I just sold 4 handguns from my personal collection to buy myself an M1A standard LDD with stainless barrel. :cool:

I hope to have my tripod stabiliser and I will bring my headspace tool to help you setup the 1919.

I need more ss109 and I'm out at the dang store :mad: