PDA

View Full Version : My AR15 doesn't cycle the next round

JULIAN GAXIOLA
03-13-2011, 1:08 PM
I recently installed a new picatinny forearm on to my Stag AR15, then I went out to do a little target shooting and it wouldn't chamber the next round, it wouldn't even eject the spent round. It has a standard barrel, NOT a piston driven barrel. Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks,

BatBoy2 75
03-13-2011, 1:21 PM
still operated via gas. Have you checked the gas tube?

707electrician
03-13-2011, 1:25 PM
When you installed the forearm did you make sure you lined the gas block up correctly on the barrel?

que45
03-13-2011, 1:27 PM
What he said. Check the gas tube. I do know depending on the round when you suppress them its not enough gas to push the bolt back.

TURBOELKY
03-13-2011, 1:33 PM
Huh, weird. My AK cycles just fine:confused:

:D Couldn't help myself...

Ryan in SD
03-13-2011, 2:14 PM
Huh, weird. My AK cycles just fine:confused:

Oh no you didnt :eek:

Outta Control
03-13-2011, 2:21 PM
I recently installed a new picatinny forearm on to my Stag AR15, then I went out to do a little target shooting and it wouldn't chamber the next round, it wouldn't even eject the spent round. It has a standard barrel, NOT a piston driven barrel. Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks,

I got a piston barrel and it works Awesome. Maybe that is why you have problems. :D

bigboy
03-13-2011, 6:13 PM
Did you remove the gas block when you install the forearm? If so maybe you didn't align the gas block to the barrel port hole or you may have installed your gas tube upside down.

Rukus
03-13-2011, 8:09 PM
This is eerily reminiscent of the "Epic FTE" thread that I read elsewhere....basically the guy wanted to make his Carbine length AR a Middy, so he took the gas block off and re installed it at the midlength area, then put new handguards on and couldnt figure out why there was gas blowing the handguards apart and it wouldnt cycle.

ETA: Midlength project goes wrong (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72733)

RRichie09
03-13-2011, 8:47 PM
This is eerily reminiscent of the "Epic FTE" thread that I read elsewhere....basically the guy wanted to make his Carbine length AR a Middy, so he took the gas block off and re installed it at the midlength area, then put new handguards on and couldnt figure out why there was gas blowing the handguards apart and it wouldnt cycle.

ETA: Midlength project goes wrong (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72733)

That is EPIC!

JULIAN GAXIOLA
03-13-2011, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the help.

XDTRIGGERHAPPY
03-14-2011, 12:16 AM
That is EPIC!

and funny as f* ...still glad no lives were taken tho

RRichie09
03-14-2011, 12:29 AM
and funny as f* ...still glad no lives were taken tho

Did you see how po'ed the op got? :rolleyes:

I wish the mod hadn't locked it. That thread could've been soo much more haha.

dieselpower
03-14-2011, 8:14 AM
No worries Julian, its a common mistake. The guy in the link is at the far end of WTF. A misaligned gas port, an upside down tube, a back wards tube all common when doing it the first few times. Problem is its so easy people get ahead of themselves when they realize how easy it is to swap out parts.

I was in the Armory at Norfolk when they did a barrel swap on over 100 rifles. About 5 were found missing the gas tube after the handguards were installed...so even skilled Armorers miss stuff. they said they had tunes cranking, wrenches flying, a barrel swap every 4 minutes!!!! Thats fast, (I am sure it was longer...fish stories on a Navy base). Moral of the story...don't sweat it.

bigboy
03-14-2011, 9:15 AM

Just read the thread and the op is right he's man enough to admit he's done a mistake and it's harsh to insult him, everybody makes mistakes. As the saying goes "wipe first the mud on your face before you say to other to wipe the mud on their face".

OHW
03-14-2011, 9:16 AM
Julian G could you please be more descriptive of your problem? A picatinny rail could have been added ti the existing forearm, or a two piece four rail forearm may have been used? Or you may have went so far as to remove your barrel to add a nut for a free float forearm? Which was it? What brand of forearm ? What length barrel and what length gas system? Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Include some.
Julian you returned to say thanks. But why? What happened ? Did a poster here have an answer? Which pOster?
You got your help. What of the next guy with a problem like yours? Wouldn't you like to help as you have been helped ? If so , and I sure hope you do want to be helpful . Answer these basic questions and give us a follow up on the solution. Yes we love photos of guns.

Thanks in advance for giving back to the Cal Guns community.

OHW
03-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Bump

OHW
03-14-2011, 4:22 PM
Bump

Rukus
03-14-2011, 8:00 PM
Just read the thread and the op is right he's man enough to admit he's done a mistake and it's harsh to insult him, everybody makes mistakes. As the saying goes "wipe first the mud on your face before you say to other to wipe the mud on their face".

Being "man enough" doesn't negate the fact that he was *****hat enough to take a piece of machinery that was already inherently dangerous and proceed to take it apart without doing any proper research whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm perfect nor am I saying that I've never made a mistake....but stupid is stupid.

OHW
03-15-2011, 2:10 PM
Julian could you please answer my questions.

L4D
03-15-2011, 3:39 PM

LMAO. Poor kid was just asking for it.

gemini1
03-15-2011, 4:07 PM
Julian G could you please be more descriptive of your problem? A picatinny rail could have been added ti the existing forearm, or a two piece four rail forearm may have been used? Or you may have went so far as to remove your barrel to add a nut for a free float forearm? Which was it? What brand of forearm ? What length barrel and what length gas system? Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Include some.
Julian you returned to say thanks. But why? What happened ? Did a poster here have an answer? Which pOster?
You got your help. What of the next guy with a problem like yours? Wouldn't you like to help as you have been helped ? If so , and I sure hope you do want to be helpful . Answer these basic questions and give us a follow up on the solution. Yes we love photos of guns.

Thanks in advance for giving back to the Cal Guns community.

Do you have the same problem as OP? try to read the post again before he posted back and thank whoever. His problem must have been the gas block being out of allignment.

OHW
03-15-2011, 4:33 PM
No problem yet. Hope to do a FF as next upgrade. Being a rookie myself , a detailed experience from Julian with mistakes and all would be nice.to read.
I have added rails to different handguards and used a two piece four rail . From the OP it is not clear what Julian was doing. A FF is likely but I'm not sure.
Julian please give us a full write up of your experiences .

Poppy83
03-15-2011, 4:55 PM
As many others have stated, a cycling issue is typically related to gas and the suggestions have already been made.

As far as the other guy in the m4 thread...HAHAHAH. WTF? I just installed a FF on my upper for the first time and it was not difficult (minus trying to get by without proper tools...action blocks and PB Blaster work wonders!). Weapons are tools, but it's dangerous to start switching out things without doing some research.