PDA

View Full Version : First time cleaning my Mark III

eddydb
03-12-2011, 9:39 PM
I have probably put 700 rounds through the Mark III that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Figured it was a good time to clean it and learn about the dreaded disassemble and reassembly.

Man, was that frustrating!!!!!!! I couldn't put it back together and had to walk away from it for a couple of hours.

Searched youtube and finally found the right video that made the best sense to me. Once I got it, it was easy!!! I am sure it will be easier next time, but not looking forward to it.

Regarding the gun, it is quickly becoming my favorite. A lot cheaper to shoot than my former favorite Sig P220.

uxo2
03-12-2011, 9:59 PM
that is the only thing I hate about them...

the assembly

KING_PALM
03-12-2011, 10:20 PM
The only reason i sold mine..

thing sucked to put back together

kgcabs
03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
If you get a chance to pick up a MKII they shoot great and are much easier to clean.

Tank 57
03-13-2011, 5:48 AM
Removing the mag disconnect makes reassembly easier.Lot of good info on rimfirecentral.com.

SAR_boats
03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Just go through that process 30 or 40 more times and it will get easier.

goofcat
03-13-2011, 3:04 PM
I just picked up mu MKIII last weekend, already put 1000+ down the pipe. Practiced taking it apart and putting it together several times. It is not hard at all if you just follow the directions. I downloaded the manual from Ruger and printed out the Disassemble/ Reassembly instructions in large font, Highlighted the steps, and posted it on the wall in my workshop.

If you follow the steps, especially the "mag in", "mag out" and pay attention to the position of the hammer, it is not that difficult at all.

Before I bought the gun, I too heard all those "horror" stories of how hard it was to take apart and put back. It really isn't that hard, it is hard for those who can't/ won't follow directions. Just go slow and learn the steps, it gets easier quick. I'm just so sick of all those folks bad mouthing this great gun, when it is them who can't follow simple directions.

Merc1138
03-13-2011, 3:43 PM
I just picked up mu MKIII last weekend, already put 1000+ down the pipe. Practiced taking it apart and putting it together several times. It is not hard at all if you just follow the directions. I downloaded the manual from Ruger and printed out the Disassemble/ Reassembly instructions in large font, Highlighted the steps, and posted it on the wall in my workshop.

If you follow the steps, especially the "mag in", "mag out" and pay attention to the position of the hammer, it is not that difficult at all.

Before I bought the gun, I too heard all those "horror" stories of how hard it was to take apart and put back. It really isn't that hard, it is hard for those who can't/ won't follow directions. Just go slow and learn the steps, it gets easier quick. I'm just so sick of all those folks bad mouthing this great gun, when it is them who can't follow simple directions.

You might consider the directions simple, but compared to most modern pistols they're a complicated disaster. I still can't re-assemble my 22/45 without looking at the instructions, and I can take down and re-assemble most pistols without needing to look at the instructions.

It doesn't help newer owners at all that pushing the pin back up through the bolt and receiver can be a pain in the *** till it gets some wear on it(from disassembling it), or the hokey way that the receiver mounts to the frame. Combine that with needing to insert the mag at certain times(seriously ruger, wtf), and needing to have the barrel pointing straight up or down depending on what step you're on, it's absolutely ludicrous.

Don't get me wrong, I like shooting my 22/45 mkIII, but the assembly is insane. I almost expect someone to burst into the room with a stereo playing some benny hill music when I'm putting it back together.

sdjetpilot
03-13-2011, 4:07 PM
broke mine disassembling/assembing it.. had to bring it to a gunsmith paying $40 for 45 mins of his time just to put it back together. needless to say im not going to field strip it to clean anymore. i love the gun though. wouldn't get rid of it

Ninja45
03-14-2011, 8:14 AM
Repetition, repetition, repetition...makes any motion second nature...Redundancy is doing the same thing again the second time, everytime, again. ;-)

Ninja45
03-14-2011, 8:16 AM
Forgot to add, I have MkII and MkIII that I love to shoot (and clean).

chesterthehero
03-16-2011, 7:36 PM
broke mine disassembling/assembing it.. had to bring it to a gunsmith paying $40 for 45 mins of his time just to put it back together. needless to say im not going to field strip it to clean anymore. i love the gun though. wouldn't get rid of it

i had to use a hammer and a block of wood to get mine apart the first time.. i broke my gunsmithing hammer, crushed a punch and further destroyed the kitchen table trying to get it back together.. i went through every friggin video on youtube, read countless writeups on every forum on the interwebz, read the instructions time and time again and it still will not go together.. i spent 4 hours on it... its now in pieces thrown into the bottom of the safe.. i did enjoy shooting it but now if i do manage to ever get it back together ill never take it apart again.. sonic cleaner only..

Ifticar
03-19-2011, 6:29 PM
Clean the barrel with pull through patches. Spray some Breakfree into the guts of the pistol and blow it out with an air hose. Done.

rattlesnake_nm
03-19-2011, 7:05 PM
I've done it so many times it's a cake walk. Just remember tilt the barrel up and dryfire at the end of re assembly. Also MAKE SURE the firing pin retaining pin is in place before reassembly. All it takes is one time to ruin the chamber. Luckily I was able to repair mine with a needle file, and a cleaning rod wrapped with fine grit sandpaper. The mkIIIs actually use a roll pin instead of the old solid pin drastically reducing the chance of it falling out, and You not noticing.

Swiftyjuan
03-19-2011, 7:20 PM
The primary reasons I shoot Brownings and Hi-Standards!

Bigdaa
03-20-2011, 6:39 AM
Assembly is a hassle, but it's such a great gun, I've got two (MKII target competition slab sides)

What a fun gun to shoot.

:D:D

ZirconJohn
03-20-2011, 7:02 AM
Note; Attention firearm 'Term Police'... don't freak out when Moe says 'clip'
0:45... he properly corrects himself at 2:39... so... okay :shrug:

This one of the best demonstrations on the MarkIII I have seen. The Ruger
Mark I, II, and III Series is, in my opinion, the very best .22LR semi-auto hand
gun on the market to give up owning just because it's shall we say high
maintenance... she just needs a little more lovin' is all fellers... :yes:

The Cheese and the Dingleberry...

nYHJm2P4kP0

Saigon1965
03-20-2011, 9:25 AM
These guns are perfect candidate for dunk tank cleaning -

Call_me_Tom
03-20-2011, 9:41 AM
I hate taking that damn thing apart.

glockman19
03-20-2011, 9:48 AM
I absolutely HATE to break down my Ruger MkIII Hunter.

I clean it as best I can without a complete teardown.

rogervzv
03-20-2011, 9:57 AM
I hate taking that damn thing apart.

Really, once you get the hang of it it is quite easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Just make sure that the hammer is all the way down (forward) and that the hammer strut is not all the way in one direction or the other. On my Mark I I can tell that I have these two factors correct because: a) if the hammer is in the right place, the spring assembly goes in the grip quite easily; and b) if the hammer strut is in the right place, you feel a spring action as you snap it into place. If no spring resistance, open it back up and tilt the gun until that strut is in position, then repeat.

Pretty sure it is the same for all the Marks.

eddydb
03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Note; Attention firearm 'Term Police'... don't freak out when Moe says 'clip'
0:45... he properly corrects himself at 2:39... so... okay :shrug:

This one of the best demonstrations on the MarkIII I have seen. The Ruger
Mark I, II, and III Series is, in my opinion, the very best .22LR semi-auto hand
gun on the market to give up owning just because it's shall we say high
maintenance... she just needs a little more lovin' is all fellers... :yes:

The Cheese and the Dingleberry...

nYHJm2P4kP0

Yeah, this is the video that made most sense to me. It just wasn't clicking until I watched this one. Now I have it saved for next time.

bombadillo
03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I did about the same thing. I figured it was going to be an easy process because I'm "mechanically inclined" but I sure was wrong. Same thing as you, a couple of videos from youtube, a little patience and a couple of bud lights, and it went back together. What a horrible first experience though. Its getting faster and easier now although bud light is still needed at times to complete it. :D

Donny1
03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
All your Ruger MK pistols are defective, sell them to me cheap.

But really, just dump the mag safety and it's cake.

straykiller
03-20-2011, 2:41 PM
they are great but man i agree they are a PITA to put back together it took me forever to figure it out.

Sky_DiveR
03-20-2011, 3:43 PM
Looks like you guys are gonna need a speed strip kit.

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

ZirconJohn
03-20-2011, 6:53 PM
I absolutely HATE to break down my Ruger MkIII Hunter.

I clean it as best I can without a complete teardown.

Yes... exactly.

Look... them Ruger I, II, or III are shooters to the max. I have MKII Target, a
MKIII Hunter, and MKIII 512GCL 'slab-side'. I shoot the hale out of mine. I run
a snake through the barrel with a little Powder Blast, then follow it with a oil
patch, then a dry one and done... what else is there :shrug:

Break-down and full clean... sheesh, I'dunno... ever now and then, maybe if I
have time. Never a ftf, never fte... never an anything that I can blame on the
Ruger. I blame the ammo before I blame the Ruger... but I use the good stuff :yes:

I not knockin' any other make/model .22LR semi... all guns are good. But...
BUT..., they aint a one of 'em a Ruger.

mincoda
03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Field stripping a Mk III for the first time is like when you first tried to ride a 2 wheeler bicycle. Ya it hard the first time but gets easier with Practice. It really does.

chesterthehero
03-22-2011, 5:04 PM
fyi.. turns out i was doing it right the whole time.. however mine is just "extreamly friggin tight, damn youre lucky" according to a friend who knows a lot more than i do..

Justintoxicated
03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
wth did they make is so complicated?

nagorb
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
It's not that difficult to field strip, detail stripping can be PITA.

Merc1138
03-23-2011, 12:34 AM
wth did they make is so complicated?

Because it's based off of the original design that was from either the late 40's or early 50's and designed to be as cheap to produce/assemble as possible(and if you ignore the polymer 22's made by beretta, s&w, etc. these days they are still pretty cheap without being garbage) and was originally based off of the Nambu(which was designed in like 1903 or something).

The history of it is kind of interesting as it started the company, but firearm design from over 100 years ago even with some modernizations(and made to be as cheap as possible) isn't exactly a marvel of engineering by today's standards or even those of the times(like the 1911).

So the end result is a pistol that shoots great, but ends up being an annoying PITA to service.

jackandblood
03-23-2011, 6:42 AM
really the nambu? damn merc you're an encyclopedia. what's your opinion on S&W 22a?

Merc1138
03-23-2011, 8:51 AM
Not really, all I did was look it up on wikipedia a while back. And I don't have much of an opinion on the 22a, other than I recall it had the mag release in a weird spot in the center of the grip.

Packy14
04-04-2011, 9:35 PM
well...the buckmark has its issues too...the freakin sight base screws ALWAYS come loose...even w/ blue loctite. Next, i'ma have to try purple loctite.... eventually..RED!!

racky
04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
42 seconds. IN YO FACE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byyb6Y8D-y4
byyb6Y8D-y4

hatidua
04-05-2011, 7:10 AM
I'd read and heard most of the horror stories associated with disassembly/reassembly of the Mark-I/II/III pistols and dreaded going down that road. Thankfully, the first time is not nearly as tough as most would have a person believe. And from the second or third time on, it's downright easy.

Orlando
04-05-2011, 3:29 PM
My problem is I can not get the barrel to come off the lower. No matter how much I pull and beat on it, it will not budge.
Any ideas?

XYZ
04-05-2011, 3:31 PM
Searched youtube and finally found the right video that made the best sense to me. Once I got it, it was easy!!!

Can you post that video?

nagorb
04-05-2011, 7:29 PM
My problem is I can not get the barrel to come off the lower. No matter how much I pull and beat on it, it will not budge.
Any ideas?

make sure you're doing it right, and whack the **** out of it with a rubber mallet or preferably a deadblow.

nagorb
04-05-2011, 7:33 PM
Here is a great source.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

WDoc
04-12-2011, 5:49 PM
Any ideas?

First, make sure you take the magazine out. I have done this several times and always feel really stupid when I realize that is the problem. Second, look in the back (where it should be opened up at this point in disassembly) and make sure the hammer isn't in the way of anything. You should be able to push it so it is parallel with the barrel. Then use a plastic mallet.

The first time, I used a plastic mallet resting the grip on a wood block. Now, I just turn it over and whack it on the carpet. The first time or two it was really stiff, but it gets easier. The whole inserting a mag and pointing up thing is a pain, so i don't do that. I just put my pinky or a cleaning rod in the back of the gun and adjust the hammer so it is lined up correctly on its own, then I slide the parts together. To reassemble, I push it together then pop the front of the barrel back down onto the carpet again. No problems. Just don't hit it too hard.

I have taken mine apart many times and it really isn't difficult after a couple of times. Eventually you remember to remove the magazine before trying to remove the upper.

Orlando
04-13-2011, 3:15 AM
Thanks, I'll try it again

Don the savage
04-13-2011, 5:21 PM
You might consider the directions simple, but compared to most modern pistols they're a complicated disaster. I still can't re-assemble my 22/45 without looking at the instructions, and I can take down and re-assemble most pistols without needing to look at the instructions.

It doesn't help newer owners at all that pushing the pin back up through the bolt and receiver can be a pain in the *** till it gets some wear on it(from disassembling it), or the hokey way that the receiver mounts to the frame. Combine that with needing to insert the mag at certain times(seriously ruger, wtf), and needing to have the barrel pointing straight up or down depending on what step you're on, it's absolutely ludicrous.

Don't get me wrong, I like shooting my 22/45 mkIII, but the assembly is insane. I almost expect someone to burst into the room with a stereo playing some benny hill music when I'm putting it back together.

I totally agree. My 22/45 is by far the worst gun to assemble and reassemble. I have a red dot on mine and it really complicates things on reassembly.

fishnbeer
04-14-2011, 7:40 AM
i just stripped mine for first time. the main spring was EXTREMELY tight when pulling the round part that goes through the hole on the upper and lower... then the upper needed a few hard taps to slide it forward. cleaned her up good, now the upper is still hard to get all the way back and i just cannot seem to get the holes lined up to get the round part on the main spring in.

called it a night. get back to it later...

should i maybe lightly sand down where the upper contacts the lower and maybe that round part on main spring???

nagorb
04-14-2011, 9:23 AM
@ fishnbeer, don't sand anything down. With use it will get loser. Get a rubber mallet and wack the **** out of it, it will go in, if you ned more help send me a pm

fishnbeer
04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
alright i got it. should go much easier as it loosens up, i get the assembly its just at this point every step requires a mallet

so i determined a good way to keep from damaging the finish is use a plastic dead blow mallet, then on the surface you are going to strike put peices of masking tape about 4 or 5 layers thick. i supposed you could tape the face of the mallet but i found it pretty effective to tape the spot you are whackin (giggidy)