PDA

View Full Version : Hello, is this the right forum?

ridiqls
03-11-2011, 9:15 PM
I've registered and come to this forum for some advice. I'm new the firearms. My extent of knowledge on firearms is being able to identify some names from playing Call of Duty and having been shooting about 3 times. There's so much information i don't know where to start so i've been putting it off (purchasing a firearm that is). My family has never owned or been around firearms when I was younger but I'd like to change that and see the important of owning one.

I am in the market for a firearm for home defense, that also will be versatile for the "**** hits the fan" situations if something devastating were to happen. I'm looking for something that speaks BALANCE. Price of the firearm, price of the ammo, reliability, accuracy, quality, power, lightness, etc. All of it doesn't have to be the best but I'd like a well-rounded first gun that I can learn from and that will stay with me for the next few years. I am more than willing to purchase used or refurbs because money is an issue but so is family protection so I'm deciding now is the time to buy, or its never.

I've heard some mixed things regarding a good choice. I was leaning towards purchasing a used reliable brand name 9mm handgun such as a Springfield, Glock, or whatever else is out there. It's reliable, decently priced, the ammo shouldn't be too expensive, etc.
Shotguns are also a way to go and I have seen weekly ads for the Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun for around $300. That would do the trick. However, I don't know the legal issues of california when it comes to handguns or shotguns.

Then there are rifles. The only rifle that I can even name is the AR-15, only because i know its the civilian form of the military rifle (?) and was introduced to it on a CHP ride along. Don't know how much those costs and what is legal to own. Also recently saw a youtube video of someone recommending a .22 rifle because a) they are really cheap and easy to learn from b) ammo costs are extremely low. He made the point that owning an ar-15 with 500 rounds vs .22 with 5000 rounds for the same price, you get more for the .22 in a disaster situation (if you had to choose between the 2)

Basically, I'm a clean slate. Anyone who wants to kind of guide me with tips and advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

MrClamperSir
03-11-2011, 9:48 PM
Welcome. When shopping for a new firearm, if a family member or friend doesn't have the one I'm interested in, I have rented several of them while considering them for purchase.

After a new purchase I usually spend a lot of time handling the weapon (unloaded) while watching tv or whatever. Just getting used to the feel and action.

The .22 is a great start for anyone at any age. The cost and accuracy are prime factors. For home defense something larger like 9mm .40 would be preferable.

I myself am a sig guy but many friends own Glocks and they are very reliable and affordable.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up with.

ETA: You can see if you can tag along with a fellow CalGunner in your area on their next range trip.

RickyB
03-11-2011, 9:54 PM
Do you happen to have any black and silver half-calf Nikes left in a 10-1/2? For under $185.00?

Thanx in advance,

Ricky......

MrClamperSir
03-11-2011, 9:56 PM
Do you happen to have any black and silver half-calf Nikes left in a 10-1/2? For under $185.00?

Thanx in advance,

Ricky......

:confused: I don't get it.

bjl333
03-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!! As mentioned above, a tag along is a good way to get into shooting. Post your location and see if any Calgunners can do a tag along for ya!!

ridiqls
03-12-2011, 1:13 AM
Thanks all. I think I will try and see if i can get some pointers from the shooting range in OC somewhere. I'm hesitant to ask the store owner cause i feel like i might get a bunch of stuff I dont need. Anyone would see that I dont know jack about this stuff from a mile away so need to be careful and do my research.

This may be a stupid question but are add-ons to pistols illegal in california? like red dot sights or flashlights, etc. Is there even such a thing as a red dot sight for a pistol? :cool2: I only know what Call of Duty has lol

Between a mossberg 500 tactical pistol grip shotgun, a used glock 9mm or a .22 rifle of some sort, which would be the most challenging but rewarding to learn? I don't want something that'll sit in the closet but something that I can work towards getting really good at and honing my skills, and by doing that allowing the weapon to be effectively used in home/self defense type situations. I like having goals and working towards something, like a hobby. Otherwise a purchase of a firearm that never sees the light of day would be very costly.

mikaarce
03-12-2011, 6:59 AM
Welcome, a nice beginnng would be 22's rifle or pistol. It will be really fun to shoot, ammo is cheap, and once you have mastered it there is no way but to go up in caliber. Even if you will have different calibers, the 22 will still be the cheapest and fun to shoot, especially with the rising cost of almost everything. Read the wiki you will learn alot on Cali. laws. Have fun.

den888
03-12-2011, 8:44 AM
Welcome!

bsg
03-12-2011, 8:59 AM
welcome to the forum.

Big Jake
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the forum and good luck!:)

ridiqls
03-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks all. I'm going to a range today and will try and get some hands-on experience.

Big E
03-12-2011, 1:50 PM
Welcome, a nice beginnng would be 22's rifle or pistol. It will be really fun to shoot, ammo is cheap, and once you have mastered it there is no way but to go up in caliber. Even if you will have different calibers, the 22 will still be the cheapest and fun to shoot, especially with the rising cost of almost everything. Read the wiki you will learn alot on Cali. laws. Have fun.

I agree......that's why I'll never give up my 22 rifle. I can shoot all day while other calibers start getting really expensive.

Welcome to the site. Hope you had a good time at the range.

zod
03-12-2011, 8:45 PM
Good luck with your search and welcome to Calguns!

bsg
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Thanx in advance,

Ricky......

only farm equipment here sir.

ridiqls
03-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Went to LAX firing range with a few buddies cause I happened to be in the area. Got to shoot the Springfield XD9, Sig Sauer P227, Glock, HK USP, all 9mms. The springfield was by far, the best gun for all 3 of us actually. I'm not sure what they're all priced at but if they're equally priced, I'd choose the Springfield based on that limited experience. (for a pistol) The Sig was the worst and I was shooting a feet low than what I was aiming for. The HK was actually pretty decent but i had failure to eject (is that the right term?) happen every single magazine reload. I wanted to shoot a S&W sigma cause I saw a brand new one in my budget for $320 at Turners but they didn't have it.

Any recommendations for .22 rifles to try out next time I go to the range? And no kidding, the ammo is dirt cheap for .22s! 9mm's came out to about $30 per 100 rounds, $15 per 50 rounds. Which, is pretty expensive given the economic situation, I don't have $100 to burn every time I go to the range. Always a little daunting walking in and asking for a rental and then no knowing any of the names when they ask you what you want.

Top 3-5 common, reliable and decent .22 rifles anyone? Something mainstream like a glock, HK, etc. that every range will have.

Any opinions on this one?
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=1124436&pagenumber=3&listingid=-2084498123

I dont know what kind of quality to expect out of a m16 knockout from big 5 but it sure looks cool to someone who doesnt know much about guns. :)

Ruger .22 (not the mini 14, that one is out of my price range at $800)
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=1124436&listingid=-2084498743&pretailerid=-98565

DeanW66
03-14-2011, 8:25 PM
Welcome aboard! Lots of info around here to read/learn and many helpful folks; good luck!