PDA

View Full Version : To buy or Not to buy - 870 "Security"

Jicko
10-16-2006, 1:56 PM
An unbeatable deal.... Remington 870 "Security" (870Express)... w/ 7 shots capacity.... MSRP @ $359........ now.... on sale @ big 5.. for $299... w/ a 10% online coupon.... AND a $30 mail-in rebate.... end up being $239!!!!

I know it is NOT a 870P.... it is NOT a 870 Tactical (cool green)... it got NOTHING fancy....

BUT.... it is $239!!!!

WHAT can you get with $239!? These shotguns... you can always find sale for $299... but never... $239....

Help me decide, brothers.....

donger
10-16-2006, 2:08 PM
Coming to Calguns and asking if you should buy a guns is like going to an AA meeting with some Grey Goose. A bad idea.:D

Buy it's a good deal! Then you can always pimp it out with after market parts.

JOEKILLA
10-16-2006, 2:15 PM
Go on and buy it already. :D

Jicko
10-16-2006, 2:18 PM
Coming to Calguns and asking if you should buy a guns is like going to an AA meeting with some Grey Goose. A bad idea.:D

Buy it's a good deal! Then you can always pimp it out with after market parts.

You never know.... there are people here... that swear by 870Police ONLY.... so... i was hoping someone can come out with a strong enough reason to swing me away from this deal.....

Stanze
10-16-2006, 2:24 PM
Use the Big 5 10% off any gun coupon found online. That should cover your DROS Fee.:D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=40742

luvtolean
10-16-2006, 2:33 PM
Been temped by that thing myself so I can do a bit of 3 gunning whilst I save up for my Vang 11-87.

grammaton76
10-16-2006, 3:05 PM
Get it for a cheap trunk gun. Then, buy the Police later on. :)

gg77
10-16-2006, 3:20 PM
I tried using that 10% off coupon and my Big 5 wouldn't accept it. The worst thing i've heard about the 870 Express is that the finish is worse than it used to be. If you don't care about that then buy it like I did. It's a good deal.

Jicko
10-16-2006, 4:36 PM
I tried using that 10% off coupon and my Big 5 wouldn't accept it. The worst thing i've heard about the 870 Express is that the finish is worse than it used to be. If you don't care about that then buy it like I did. It's a good deal.

It said.... "valid at any Big 5 location"!!! How can they NOT accept it?

I can bring my laptop with wireless connection in... and SHOW them....

Jicko
10-16-2006, 6:11 PM
Just went to my local store to "check" the 870 out....

And asked about the coupon.... NO PROBLEM using it on the 870....

So... I'll.... "think" about it more.....

I do agree that... I would love something that have a pistol grip.... probably ghost-ring sight.....

BUT.... for $239... again.... ..... ..... .....

grammaton76
10-16-2006, 6:16 PM
JI do agree that... I would love something that have a pistol grip.... probably ghost-ring sight.....

For a trunk gun, just do the ATI top-folder. Gets you a pistol grip and a folding stock, so it's nice and compact in trunk use. ;)

I don't play with my 12ga much, but it looks like this. If I actually had a trunk, I'd probably configure a cheap shotgun just like it:

http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/M590A1-Persuader//s_TopFolded.jpg

1SGMAT
10-16-2006, 7:11 PM
Buy it and send it to Hans of Vang Comp shotguns.

luvtolean
10-16-2006, 7:47 PM
A friend who is very knowledgable slightly prefers the Mossy.

I liked the 870 due to familiarity with the controls. Just picked one up, great buy!

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Jicko
10-16-2006, 8:05 PM
Buy it and send it to Hans of Vang Comp shotguns.

That's a waste...... of Hans' time!

WRENCHHEAD
10-16-2006, 8:14 PM
just buy it!!! i own one and i have no problems with it.

Jicko
10-16-2006, 8:17 PM
For a trunk gun, just do the ATI top-folder. Gets you a pistol grip and a folding stock, so it's nice and compact in trunk use. ;)

I don't play with my 12ga much, but it looks like this. If I actually had a trunk, I'd probably configure a cheap shotgun just like it:

hmmmm.... i am digging the idea of this folding stock.....

how would a 12ga shoot.... without the stock? isn't it kinda... BAD!? recoil-wise....

mike100
10-16-2006, 8:22 PM
A friend of mine just got burgled and lost his two handguns (and the safe they were in). I just loaned him my 870 express to help him sleep better, but perhaps I'll print him out that 10 percent deal and send him over to get that 870 or maybe a 10 percent off on-sale mossberg for under 2 bills.

I'll be making sure he gets his HSC too since I just found out no loans of handguns without that. No reason not to get a domestic SG when they get that cheap.

Jicko
10-16-2006, 8:47 PM

http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/M590A1-Persuader//s_TopFolded.jpg

BTW.... i thought shotshells "attached" to the shotgun = loaded shotgun..... am I right!?

Outlaw Josey Wales
10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Help me decide, brothers.....

This is a good gun at the best price you're likely to find in California. Get it!

ivanimal
10-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Have you started the 10 day wait yet?:D

Jicko
10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Soon....

I got a Benelli 121m1 (semi-auto) w/ a M1 pistol grip, this is basically M1 before it is called M1.... that I want to get rid of first.... (probably not gonna to happen before I decided on the 870 tho...) lol

rod
10-17-2006, 5:16 AM
Buy the 870 now. If you don't, someone else will and you'll be jealous. That's a good price. I might buy one even though I already have seven shotguns.

I hope my wife doesn't read this.

luvtolean
10-17-2006, 5:59 AM
A friend of mine just got burgled and lost his two handguns (and the safe they were in). I just loaned him my 870 express to help him sleep better, but perhaps I'll print him out that 10 percent deal and send him over to get that 870 or maybe a 10 percent off on-sale mossberg for under 2 bills.

I'm confused on how anyone has done that. The Mossy is $219. - 10% ~$200. Then you have to pay $25 to DROS, and taxes...

Buy the 870 now. If you don't, someone else will and you'll be jealous. That's a good price. I might buy one even though I already have seven shotguns.

Heh, my Big 5 had multiple 870s in stock last night. But they are now one less...

By the way, the 870 comes with a trigger lock, so if you don't have a safe (other than the obvious fact you need to go buy one!), you won't have to buy one of those for $15-20.

E. Fudd
10-17-2006, 9:41 AM
Without a rear sight, it'll be a lot harder to shoot slugs accurately at distance, if that's a concern (competition use or whatever). Other than that, if it suits your needs, go for it... Can't beat the price... :)

The Express models are more roughly finished internally than the 870P and Wingmasters. My 870 Express took quite a while to break-in/smooth out, compared to my Wingmaster, which came smooth cycling out-of-the-box. However, the Express models function and shoot fine.

Prc329
10-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I am the proud owner of an 870 Epress 7 shot and its a great piece. I made the mistake of picking up a scattergun technologies shotgun and looking threw the ghost ring sights. I am now seriously considering adding the sights and surefire tactical fore-end.

Jicko
10-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I am the proud owner of an 870 Epress 7 shot and its a great piece. I made the mistake of picking up a scattergun technologies shotgun and looking threw the ghost ring sights. I am now seriously considering adding the sights and surefire tactical fore-end.

I was thinking about ATI, it will NEVER be as nice as "Scattergun Tech", but it is, again, CHEAP sol'n.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-rem870.html

For $239, I can allow myself to add the top-folding-stock, and their cheap heatshield + ghostring sights.

DV8
10-17-2006, 1:37 PM
I was thinking about ATI, it will NEVER be as nice as "Scattergun Tech", but it is, again, CHEAP sol'n.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-rem870.html

For $239, I can allow myself to add the top-folding-stock, and their cheap heatshield + ghostring sights.

I used to have their top folder on my mossy 500, nice enough but not very comfortable. For my 870, I got a youth stock off of ebay for 20 bucks and its way better. Plus I found the gun points easier for me with a traditional stock versus pg.

Of course its your money so you do what you like, but if it were me 239 would be better spent on a good weaponlight and HD ammo. Ghost rings are nice but if you dont shoot slugs the front bead is all you need.

E. Fudd
10-17-2006, 3:07 PM
Yeah, the top folders are probably the most uncomfortable stock to shoot from. Looks cool and all, but your cheek will not appreciate a long session at the range shooting buck or slugs...

Fwiw, one doesn't often see folding stocks at shotgun classes, where you may shoot hundreds of rounds over a period of days.

I also swapped in a synthetic 'yute' stock (Remington brand) on one of my 870's and I like it a lot. The 13 inch length-of-pull fits me better than the stock 14 inch length. Faster to mount, etc.

As to the question of shooting a shotgun using just the pistol grip: very stout recoil, very hard to hit accurately with. Fwiw, I once saw a newbie at the range shoot his friend's pistolgrip-only shotgun with full load slugs. He lost his grip on the foreend and the gun flipped up and bopped him on the forehead. Luckily, he managed to keep the muzzle pointed more or less downrange... :eek:

The ATI heatshield w/ front and rear sights looks like a good idea. Wonder how well it holds it's zero (if it shifts around after lots of rounds fired)?

DV8
10-18-2006, 7:47 AM
As to the question of shooting a shotgun using just the pistol grip: very stout recoil, very hard to hit accurately with. Fwiw, I once saw a newbie at the range shoot his friend's pistolgrip-only shotgun with full load slugs. He lost his grip on the foreend and the gun flipped up and bopped him on the forehead. Luckily, he managed to keep the muzzle pointed more or less downrange... :eek:

The ATI heatshield w/ front and rear sights looks like a good idea. Wonder how well it holds it's zero (if it shifts around after lots of rounds fired)?

That reminds me of the idiot I saw at the range who put a PG shotgun (no stock) close to his lip then fire. No lost teeth, just a nasty cut lip.

Yeah, having sights attached to a heat shield is kinda iffy. Best to get a good set of ghostrings done professionally. For the mechanically inclined, I hear they are not that hard to install though.

To get back on topic though, YES buy it!!!!

Jicko
10-18-2006, 9:12 AM
Remington 870 "Security" (w/ 6+1 cap) @ $239 ($299 - 10% - $30MIB)

OR

Mossberg 500 (w/ 28" & 18" both barrels) @ $198 ($219 - 10%)

E. Fudd
10-18-2006, 9:34 AM
I lean towards Remingtons myself.

Fwiw, word I got from chatting with our local trap rangemaster is that he has seen more Mossbergs with various problems than Remingtons amongst the trapshooting crowd. So his opinion is that, between the two, the QA is better on the Remingtons.

creampuff
10-18-2006, 9:37 AM

Ditto..
I was happy with the bead on my 870 express...

...until I used a friend's Benelli M3.

I finally had Vang Comp put on some MMC ghost ring sights on my 870. Personally I know I probably paid too much through Vang Comp, but as long as they were going to do some work on the 870, I knew I had to add on ghost rings as well.

E. Fudd
10-18-2006, 9:58 AM
I have a Vang Comp 870 Express, gun built up and sold by Vang. Excellent sights: MMC rear, blade front.

The action came very stiff and did require a few hundred rounds to smooth out. My local shop didn't have any Vang 870P's at the time. Still glad to have gotten mine way back when, as I just saw how much they are going for now... Yeow...

Mute
10-18-2006, 1:04 PM
$239 is about as low a price as you're going to see anywhere for a Remington 870.

Jicko
10-18-2006, 1:39 PM
DROS'ed it today.... ;-)

mdhpper
10-18-2006, 1:44 PM
Congratulations!

Gunsmoker
10-18-2006, 9:36 PM
DROS'ed it today.... ;-)

Yeah. I bought mine last Friday, so I'm picking mine up next Tuesday.