PDA

View Full Version : I surfed this morning during the tsunami time for santa cruz

pdugan6
03-11-2011, 3:40 PM
I woke up this morning at 5 to go surf at the lane in SC and I turned on hot talk 560 with Brian Susman and he was talking about a tsunami warning for the west coast. It tripped me out so I called in and the screener put me through to talk about it with Susman.. pretty cool. And he also wanted me to give another aired update about how it went and if I experienced anything in the form of a tidal surge. I met up with my buddy who hadn't heard about the warning and he was a puss about it. we get to steamer lane and he was over it claiming his back hurt from yesterdays night session. how convenient. Anyways, it was a score. Clear conditions and light offshore winds with sets solid overhead and middle peak getting the occasional 10' face. It was me and just 3 others in the whole line up for the first 50 minutes of dawn patrol wich is unheard of when it is going off. The only thing I noticed was that for maybe two or three minutes the tide bottomed out faster than normal exposing the inside section and then it was back to normal. no visible surge was seen. Good thing though, cause I just watched the footage of Japan and that was horrific. My thoughts go out to the people who have lost loved ones. Nature is unpredictable.

DirtNapKing
03-11-2011, 4:00 PM
I woke up this morning at 5 to go surf at the lane in SC and I turned on hot talk 560 with Brian Susman and he was talking about a tsunami warning for the west coast. It tripped me out so I called in and the screener put me through to talk about it with Susman.. pretty cool. And he also wanted me to give another aired update about how it went and if I experienced anything in the form of a tidal surge. I met up with my buddy who hadn't heard about the warning and he was a puss about it. we get to steamer lane and he was over it claiming his back hurt from yesterdays night session. how convenient. Anyways, it was a score. Clear conditions and light offshore winds with sets solid overhead and middle peak getting the occasional 10' face. It was me and just 3 others in the whole line up for the first 50 minutes of dawn patrol wich is unheard of when it is going off. The only thing I noticed was that for maybe two or three minutes the tide bottomed out faster than normal exposing the inside section and then it was back to normal. no visible surge was seen. Good thing though, cause I just watched the footage of Japan and that was horrific. My thoughts go out to the people who have lost loved ones. Nature is unpredictable.

Nobody was out because it's to damn cold up there. :D

pdugan6
03-11-2011, 5:12 PM
It turns out that in Santa Cruz the surges didn't hit until around 9. I was safe and sound working like a productive member of society. I'm glad i wasn't in the water though.

Saigon1965
03-11-2011, 6:08 PM
Welcome to Calguns???

five.five-six
03-11-2011, 6:12 PM
OT thread?

Big Jake
03-11-2011, 6:23 PM
OT thread?

This!:rolleyes:

pdugan6
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM
got it. new to cal guns forum.oops

SickofSoCal
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Any pictures? Sounds like an adrenaline rush.

NaughtyMonkey
03-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Totally wrong section lol.

Also, I was surfing too, the web, not sure if that counts. :confused: