PDA

View Full Version : Wiggle room with a bolted safe?

zoglog
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey guys,

I recently had my safe bolted down by some locksmith peeps, and I noticed that I can wiggle the tilt on the safe minutely. Is this normal, or should it be absolutely still with no give at all?

they told me it was completely normal.

xr650r
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
The bolts are not at the corners...so the bottom can usually flex just a bit. Normal.

zoglog
03-11-2011, 1:48 PM
The bolts are not at the corners...so the bottom can usually flex just a bit. Normal.

cool thanks!

Saym14
03-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I bolted my own and it does not move or wiggle.

WWDHD?
03-12-2011, 1:02 AM
Whats it bolted to, wood or cement? If it cement I wouldn't think it should wiggle much at all. Look under the carpet on the bottom of your safe and see if the two bolts are bottomed out as far as they can go. If so you should be GTG.
Some people run a bolt through the back of the safe into a wall beam as well. No me, but I know some that did.
Hows that Sturdy Safe working out for you? Worth the $$$?

zoglog
03-12-2011, 1:56 AM
Whats it bolted to, wood or cement? If it cement I wouldn't think it should wiggle much at all. Look under the carpet on the bottom of your safe and see if the two bolts are bottomed out as far as they can go. If so you should be GTG.
Some people run a bolt through the back of the safe into a wall beam as well. No me, but I know some that did.
Hows that Sturdy Safe working out for you? Worth the $$$?

well it's in concrete.....
I guess I can try to see If I can torque the bolt further down if I have the right size.... dont' want to crack the concrete or anything.

Sturdysafe is ok so far. I mean you can't really tell how good these products really are until something happens..... so can't really say.

I wouldn't have minded a larger one, but that's how it goes.

socalsteve
03-24-2011, 3:11 PM
A good friend of mine died a few years back. He had a Sturdy Safe.

His wife could not remember where he had hid the combination.

2 locksmiths & 8 hours later they got it open - told her it was the hardest safe they had to open. Basically they ruined the door.

A week later she found the combination - she was 2 digits off on one of the numbers.

chesterthehero
03-24-2011, 7:40 PM
if its bolted through carpet then the carpet is the issue since it has some give to it.. if you wanted to go nuts you could unbolt it and remove either the whole section of carpet under the safe..

gravedigger
03-25-2011, 1:19 AM
The safe's floor flexes. I do not like that! Imagine tacking a pie tin down to a picnic table with two nails driven through the center of the tin. You might not be able to lift the tin immediately, but you can work tools underneath it and if the tin moves and flexes AT ALL, eventually the nail heads will pull through the tin.

I will bolt my next safe down at all four corners by running the bolts through a 6"x6"x1/2" steel plate at each corner. If the thieves can pull those plates through the safe's floor, that would be impressive!

WWDHD?
03-25-2011, 1:51 AM
I'd be very suprised if the floor of a Sturdy safe is causing it to flex. If I remember correctly the OP has the 32x24x72 7ga model. I have the 60" version bolted to a wood floor (just two lag bolts) and theres no noticeable flexing. Maybe the extra 12" in height gives you more leverage to make it move?

Casual_Shooter
03-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I had my safe professionally installed and they used one-large- bolt in the center of the safe's floor.

It's mounted on carpet into concrete. There is a slight wobble.

Baconator
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
My smaller safe wobbled a bit so I stuck some wood shims under it and it fixed it.

zoglog
03-29-2011, 8:27 PM
hmmm now some of you got me paranoid lol.... The 3 bolts are def not on the corners, they are more center based.

Baconator
03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
hmmm now some of you got me paranoid lol.... The 3 bolts are def not on the corners, they are more center based.

On both of my safes the bolts are in the middle and not the corners, I'm not really worried.