PDA

View Full Version : Question for pig hunters.

pieeater
10-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Has anyone here actualy killed a pig on public land? And if so how many days of hunting pigs on public land did it take per kill.

anotherone
10-15-2006, 5:59 PM
Has anyone here actualy killed a pig on public land? And if so how many days of hunting pigs on public land did it take per kill.

It will almost always take months to properly scout out an area and learn the patterns and habits of the game that lives there. I can sometimes take years to get a pig on public land. If you have anything short of biblical patience then I suggest you visit http://www.twisselmanoutfitters.com/index2.html . But if you're patient and the process of the hunt itself is the most rewarding part then you'll be ok on public land. I also strongly recommend you start with someone who knows how to stalk pigs so you learn the right way to start.

Whitesmoke
10-16-2006, 1:18 AM
It will almost always take months to properly scout out an area and learn the patterns and habits of the game that lives there. I can sometimes take years to get a pig on public land. If you have anything short of biblical patience then I suggest you visit http://www.twisselmanoutfitters.com/index2.html . But if you're patient and the process of the hunt itself is the most rewarding part then you'll be ok on public land. I also strongly recommend you start with someone who knows how to stalk pigs so you learn the right way to start.

Anotherone...have you hunted with twisselmanoutfitters yourself? Just curious...it's nice to hear first hand experience from someone. I want to get some buddies together for a pig trip.

chris
10-16-2006, 7:19 AM
I have only taken one pig on public land and that was by accident it was on opening day of A zone deer. the pig ran down a creek bed and shot him. he was about 300+ lbs. that is the only pig i have taken on public land. you should have a pig tag anyway you may stumble across one. they are in season all year around. good luck to you.

pigs are all over this state many on private land though. you can go to an outfitter who can guide on public land and it can get pricy. it is up to you. like the other post said it can take months to learn the habits of these pigs and get one.

pieeater
10-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think a lot of people dont realize how tough the hunting is on BLM and NF. I keep hearing how expensive a guided or private property hunt is and I can just go and get one on BLM. I'm just curious if anyone here has killed one.

When I was a teen we had a spot down by Coalinga that was BLM. I pulled a couple out of there. But if you added up all the days spent hunting it was probably 10 to 15 days per kill. And back then not that many people hunted hogs. The conditions were miserable. If you killed one it was a couple of steep miles out.

anotherone
10-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Keep in mind that pigs, like most game, are keenly aware of the safety of private property. They see animals shot all the time on BLM land and hear gun shots everywhere. When on private land they rarely see animals shot or hear gun shots.

VeryCoolCat
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
The only reason I wouldn't go on guided pig hunts is paying $500 to catch a pig?

Hell you might as well go to a farm and buy a pig then let it run loose and shoot it. You'll pay less.

I can't see why it would take a month to catch a pig.

I'm sure if you had an offroad vehicle that'd help a lot.

pieeater
10-17-2006, 4:43 PM
The only reason I wouldn't go on guided pig hunts is paying $500 to catch a pig?

Hell you might as well go to a farm and buy a pig then let it run loose and shoot it. You'll pay less.

I can't see why it would take a month to catch a pig.

I'm sure if you had an offroad vehicle that'd help a lot.

I have a F350 4x4 truck and a honda 500 ATV. They are a help on private land. On most public land in this state pigs do not exist close to roads. They will go pretty much completely nocturnal too.If you want one you need to be a good couple hours from the nearest road.Also being nocturnal you will need to be there at sunrise and sunset.

If you kill it right at dark you will have to gut it and quarter it up at the least. If its a big one it will have to be skinned and deboned to hopefuly fit in your pack. Now its 9pm and time to start the 3 hour hike out with 90 lbs of meat on your back. And remember you left your house at 1am to drive 2 hrs so you could hike 3 hours into your spot and be there at daybreak.

Also I've been on plenty of the 500 dollar tresspass fee pig hunts, they are not always slam dunks. But at least at most of those places the pigs actualy exist and you have a chance.Just my opinion but I'd rather work a saturday or put in a couple hours OT and go on a good hunt.

Comstock Lode
10-17-2006, 4:47 PM
Got to use .308 for the pig hunt next month... Any recommended factory .308 ammo?