PDA

View Full Version : Frazier Park Shooting Area Closed

TannerBoyl
10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Today, a few buddies asked me if I wanted to make a trip up to Frazier Park and do a little shooting. Since it had been a while since I'd shot, I decided that I would go. We drove for an hour and a half only to find that the Ranger Station had closed the shooting area. :(

We went to the Fire station and talked to some of the fire fighters. They clarified that the Ranger Station had closed the area down for the last few months due to fire hazard. They also said that it would re-open after they get some more rain. They also tried to help us find other areas to shoot. We were very appreciative for their help, but didn't have any luck.

On our way home, we stopped at a little gun shop over there. The lady behind the counter told us that the Ranger Station had closed it down until Spring of 2007. She also encouraged us to go complain at the Ranger Station.

We drove over to the Ranger Station and complained. He told us that they had actually closed down all free-hike / off-road trails / huting and shooting areas surrounding. He said they would all be re-opened soon with the exception of the free-shoot area. He said that the area was completely burnt and they have to wait until Spring of 2007 before there is a decent root structure. Then they will re-evaluate.

On the way out, we saw a hunter who had gotten ejected from the area. He told us that he was hunting for deer and that he'd been told to leave by a Ranger. He also said that he'd seen a ton of ATV's and dirt bikes around the area and the Park Rangers hadn't given them any grief.

Anyway, this is just an FYI for those of you who were thinking about doing a little shooting or hunting in the Frazier Park area. We were advised to contact the Ranger Department prior to driving up next time. We ended up getting our shooting fix at a local indoor range.

Too bad, I really wanted to shoot my AR. Oh well, life goes on.

M1A_KICHI
10-16-2006, 6:53 PM
Hope they open soon. I love it there.

Turbinator
10-16-2006, 7:26 PM
Another reason to be a responsible shooter! Can't let our spots get closed down.

Turby

Sydwaiz
10-16-2006, 7:34 PM
Damn! I usually go there with some buddies the day after Thanksgiving. Thanks for letting us know. Can't say I really blame them though. The only problem is that we have to be even more persistant on them reopening it. Otherwise they will just find it too conveniant to keep it closed. The only thing I didn't like up there was that there was always some idiot shooting across the road.

M1A_KICHI
10-17-2006, 2:38 PM
I know what you mean Sydwaiz. Almost every time I went someone was in that one spot shooting of which the bullets go across the road. TICKS me off. I mean, you have to know what is behind whatever you're shooting at :mad: .

bubejunkie
02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Just called the ranger up in Frazier Park, ca.

He said the shooting area is open, It's muddy right now because of the rains but other than that you can shoot there.

I'd call ahead to make sure. Google maps: frazier park ranger station. The number will come up.

532Fastback
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
i fought a fire caused by someone shooting. It happens.

GuyW
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Cleveland National Forest....they close it for "high" fire hazard conditions, and they close it after it rains substantially...

...eventually, it'll only be open on sunny Wednesday afternoons in late May, between 2:58 pm and 4:02 pm...

532Fastback
02-22-2008, 2:57 PM
do you guys do clean ups there? Show the Forest you care about the area.
Our ranger district cleaned up a shooting area this last summer. I don't know of our district stopping anyone from shooting even during fire season. We will chase after you if you have a campfire in a bad area during fire season.
This summer i am going to try and get all my firefighters together to go shooting in the forest, we are all gun owners so we might as well right? :)

Stormfeather
02-22-2008, 5:17 PM
Necro-Posting is BAD. . .

#5 10-17-2006, 03:38 PM M1A_KICHI
Senior Member Join Date: Aug 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean Sydwaiz. Almost every time I went someone was in that one spot shooting of which the bullets go across the road. TICKS me off. I mean, you have to know what is behind whatever you're shooting at .

#6 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM bubejunkie
Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2008

Frazier park free shooting area open now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just called the ranger up in Frazier Park, ca.

He said the shooting area is open, It's muddy right now because of the rains but other than that you can shoot there.

I'd call ahead to make sure. Google maps: frazier park ranger station. The number will come up.

Bube. . . please feel free to introduce yourself here. . .

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

GSequoia
02-22-2008, 5:43 PM
Necro-Posting is BAD. . .

Who f'n cares?

By my count he provided good information by stating that the area was open, quite a natural continuation of the thread in fact.

:chillpill:

bubejunkie
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey there storm: Sure thing!

I just introduced myself on that thread.

serg*