PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Arleta,CA

ixta70
03-10-2011, 1:53 PM
Just saying hi to everybody since I'm new here and finally following my interest in firearms. :cool:

By the way, I'm looking to buy my first rifle so I can do some hunting somewhere here in the San Fernando Valley in California. Anybody have any suggestions on what to buy or where to try hunting? Also do you need to own a license for a rifle/ shotgun or is that only handguns?

Wicked Pete
03-10-2011, 6:17 PM
Welcome. There are so many good choices for a "first rifle". You might want to check some of the other forums to see what's hot and what's not. Also peruse the 2A forum for questions about licenses. Rifles/shotguns don't have the same regs. as hand guns. Be aware.

zod
03-10-2011, 7:13 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Enjoy.

den888
03-10-2011, 8:58 PM
Welcome!

ojisan
03-10-2011, 9:07 PM
Hello, Arleta!
You are not far from me.
Yes, you will likely need a rifle in Arleta.
But you can't hunt there, or in most of the SFV.
Hunting is in the mountains or deserts mostly.

To hunt, you will need a Hunting License, tags for the game in season, etc.
No gun license is needed to buy a shotgun or rifle, handguns require a safety test first.

If you have never shot before, you should get a .22 rimfire rifle and practice like crazy.
From there, the gun you use will depend of the game you hunt.
You must be a competent shooter before shooting at anything living.
When hunting, the first shot should be a clean kill, and that takes practice before the hunt.

ixta70
03-10-2011, 9:08 PM
Thanks everybody

Welcome. There are so many good choices for a "first rifle". You might want to check some of the other forums to see what's hot and what's not. Also peruse the 2A forum for questions about licenses. Rifles/shotguns don't have the same regs. as hand guns. Be aware.

Thank you I'll check it out. I'm considering buying a mossberg 702 plinkster.

BayAreaShooter
03-11-2011, 1:01 AM
Hello, Arleta!
You are not far from me.
Yes, you will likely need a rifle in Arleta.
But you can't hunt there, or in most of the SFV.
Hunting is in the mountains or deserts mostly.

To hunt, you will need a Hunting License, tags for the game in season, etc.
No gun license is needed to buy a shotgun or rifle, handguns require a safety test first.

If you have never shot before, you should get a .22 rimfire rifle and practice like crazy.
From there, the gun you use will depend of the game you hunt.
You must be a competent shooter before shooting at anything living.
When hunting, the first shot should be a clean kill, and that takes practice before the hunt.

THIS^^^^^^

ixta70
03-12-2011, 12:24 PM
THIS^^^^^^

So I'm completely new to this but for a rimfire rifle what brand would you suggest? My price range is up to $500 I'd say and I've seen that some are around 200-300. I was looking at a .22 Mossberg tactical but not sure as to whether buy it or not based on reviews.

ojisan
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. About $200 new.
The Marlin 795 works good and is cheap for a practice gun. About $150 new.
Lots of old Marlin / Glenfield Model 60s are around, used maybe $75-150.
None of these look tacticool but they are strong performers at the range.
The Ruger offers the most options for upgrades later.

ixta70
03-12-2011, 1:02 PM
Yeah having second thoughts about that Mossberg. I'm starting to research Rugers and remingtons

Big E
03-12-2011, 1:44 PM
Welcome to Calguns. This is definitely the site for your. There is a forum dedicated to Rimfires so a lot of good stuff there. I totally agree with getting a 22 first. I still have and use my 30-year old Marlin 60, which I acquired after my fathers passing. Funny part is I still can't decide which hunting rifle to get either and I've been shopping for about three years now. Good luck on your quest. Most makes and models have a decent entry level 22. Mine is a tube feed, which you can still get; but unless you are use to it, you might prefer at 10/22 with a magazine (go to the stores and check some out). The guys above made some good suggestions so keep asking around.

ixta70
03-12-2011, 5:52 PM
Thanks Big E,
yeah everybody has made me decide i probably will get a .22, but now the only question would be..which one? :confused:

DeanW66
03-14-2011, 8:10 PM
Welcome aboard; lots of good info and helpful folks around these parts!

.22guy
03-14-2011, 9:55 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)