PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Davis, Ca

usui
03-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just turned 30, and I want to get a handgun for my birthday present. :D
Never much into guns, but the Mrs.'s dad has 15 guns. I had to shoot them all "well" before I was let in the family. I guess beginner's luck and his gracious grading let me in.
I want a handgun for the following reasons:
1. Because I want one, Second amendment
2. Shoot at the range with my CHP friends and others
3. Self-defense

I'm interested in a S&W.40cal semi-auto pistol. I went to the range this weekend, and shot the following:
1. CHP friends S&W 4006, .40cal
2. Springfield XD, full size, .40cal
3. S&W M&P, full size, .40cal
4. Rueger P94, .40cal

1. I liked the weight and the feel of the 4006, since it was all metal, but I heard these aren't made new anymore, and I'd have to get it used.
2. XD felt awesome in hand, but it wasn't as comfortable to me as the M&P, and I was much more accurate with the M&P
3. M&P looks like a candidate for purchase, but I want to learn more about other guns first.
4. I was horrible with the first Double Action shot out Rueger, and it jammed on me twice. It was a range gun, but it was enough to make me shoot the rest of the box with the M&P.

So I came to the site to learn more about guns in California. I don't know where to get the best deal, I don't know how to buy online or used, and I've found at least a couple of guns I like online that are not yet California legal, as far as I know, for instance, the M&P Pro 5" barrel .40cal. :confused:

So, thanks for the site. I'm sure there is a lot to learn here!

-Usui

Update:
I tried Tracy Rifle and Pistol for the single shot M&P pro... it was currently on his "wish list" and indeterminate when it would be available.
I tried to have a CHP friend try out the Pro, and if he didn't like it, then he could sell it to me... but his supplier was unresponsive.

So I went looking for a listed gun, to just make the process easier.
I went shopping and shooting around... Center Mass and Guns Fishin and other stuff in Vacaville, Rancho Shooting and River City Gun Exchange... my conclusion was: A Sig Sauer P226 is a darn fine gun.

I'm purchasing one from Yzernie of Tin Star Supply Co, a forum member here based on his excellent prices and customer feedback. I am very excited.
Should be shipped this week to Golden Bear Arms, in El Dorado Hills. His transfer price was very good, and he was very close to where I work. I hope it all goes down good. Hope to do paper work for DROS by the end of this week.
:D

JDW67
03-10-2011, 3:07 PM
Hello from Orange County. :)

I had to read up on a ton of material regarding gun ownership in my state. It was confusing at first, but most of it finally set in.

daveinwoodland
03-10-2011, 3:18 PM
Welcome from just up the road. We used to be Davisites, but the koolaide started to get too sweet so we moved.

It sounds like you got some great examples to go by. I've heard from more then one person that the CZ line is definitely something to take a look at. Don't forget to patronize your local range at the Yolo County Sportsman's Club by the airport.

DeanW66
03-10-2011, 3:35 PM
Welcome aboard. There is a ton of useful info and helpful (and often full-of-opinion) folks around here. Read and ask you will be answered, lol!

bsg
03-10-2011, 5:56 PM
welcome to the forum.

zod
03-10-2011, 6:11 PM
Welcome aboard usui. Good luck on your search. All great candidates for purchase for sure. If you really want the M&P Pro 5, it is doable. You can purchase it from a LEO (LEO's are exempt from the safe roster) or an owner who currently owns the gun through a private party transfer, also called a ppt. Or you can find a shop that does single shot exemptions, this can be done at certain 007 FFL shops.

den888
03-10-2011, 7:59 PM
Welcome!

resident-shooter
03-10-2011, 9:09 PM
sups yo

.22guy
03-10-2011, 9:12 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

krushem2000
03-10-2011, 9:16 PM
welcome to calguns where gun nuts roam :eek: hope i dont piss off other members.

ChrisTKHarris
03-10-2011, 9:19 PM
You're lucky, we have a lot of good gun shops here in Sacramento. :)

usui
03-11-2011, 7:37 AM
Welcome aboard usui. Good luck on your search. All great candidates for purchase for sure. If you really want the M&P Pro 5, it is doable. You can purchase it from a LEO (LEO's are exempt from the safe roster) or an owner who currently owns the gun through a private party transfer, also called a ppt. Or you can find a shop that does single shot exemptions, this can be done at certain 007 FFL shops.

Dear 408er,

I do have a few LEO friends. But I'm curious about the 007 FFL shop idea. How do I find one in northern California? The google search asks if I mean NFL, and shows results for James Bond Golden Eye. One shop in Vacaville popped up, Guns Fishing and Other Stuff. But I couldn't see this 007 FFL cert on their site.

[QOUTE=ChrisTKHarris]You're lucky, we have a lot of good gun shops here in Sacramento. [/QUOTE]

Dear Chris,
Which shops are good? I've heard good recommendation for TDSguns.

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

ChrisTKHarris
03-11-2011, 8:31 AM
Golden State Tactical
TDS
Sacramento Black Rifle

Enik
03-11-2011, 7:34 PM
Hey there, I'm new around here too. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents- I have a M&P .40 full size and really like it. It's very reliable and very accurate. No problems whatsoever with a couple thousand rounds through it. I had also considered the XD, and also found the M&P a bit more comfortable, but both are great choices, and I imagine the M&P Pro would be even more accurate.

krushem2000
03-11-2011, 7:52 PM
ask for rhino at jk supply co in ione. he's easy to deal with and so are other guys in sac are easy to ffl with too.

usui
03-29-2011, 7:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome.
Update:
I tried Tracy Rifle and Pistol for the single shot M&P pro... it was currently on his "wish list" and indeterminate when it would be available.
I tried to have a CHP friend try out the Pro, and if he didn't like it, then he could sell it to me... but his supplier was unresponsive.

So I went looking for a listed gun, to just make the process easier.
I went shopping and shooting around... Center Mass and Guns Fishin and other stuff in Vacaville, Rancho Shooting and River City Gun Exchange... my conclusion was: A Sig Sauer P226 is a darn fine gun.

I'm purchasing one from Yzernie of Tin Star Supply Co, a forum member here based on his excellent prices and customer feedback. I am very excited.
Should be shipped this week to Golden Bear Arms, in El Dorado Hills. His transfer price was very good, and he was very close to where I work. I hope it all goes down good. Hope to do paper work for DROS by the end of this week.
:D

SoCal Bob
03-29-2011, 7:38 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Don't judge all Ruger's by the experience you had with that one. Ruger's are built like tanks and usually eat anything. That being said, I have several Sig's and they are my favorite semi autos to shoot.

usui
04-12-2011, 3:15 PM
I picked up my new P226 stainless yesterday. Looked it over and cleaned it good and oiled it. I'm really wanting to take it shooting!

I needed to get that out. :)

mikaarce
04-13-2011, 3:22 AM
Welcome