PDA

View Full Version : Fiocchi .22 and my Ruger Mark III - no go

vmwerks
03-09-2011, 3:46 PM
Yesterday I was at the Gun Room for some late night paper punching. I brought my new to me Kimber 1911, custom compensated Glock 34 and Ruger Mark III.

I forgot to load up on .22 so I bought a box of Fiocchi from the range. I shot the Remington stuff that was in my magazine then switched to the Fiocchi, bad idea. Stove pipes, splattering lead and jams abounded. All this form a previously perfect gun. I blew it off and figured I didn't clean it good enough the last time I shot it... But I doubt it as I am super duper anal about my equipment.

I got home and looked in the gun.. the barrel was full of unburned powder, the action had what appeared to be paper dust in it.. a weird white almost powdery substance. There was lead all over the face of the bore and bolt. I cleaned her all up but I have never seen this much fouling with only 60rds down the pipe, 10 Remington and the rest Fiocchi.

Any ideas???

checkenbach
03-09-2011, 8:14 PM
The Remington ammo(Golden Bullets) is a known evil, I've only shot Fiocchi 7.62x39 rifle ammo, and it was good stuff, maybe you got a bad box.
That said, I've had great luck with Federal Auto Match ammo, feeds well, no stove pipes and accurate too. Try some.

RickyB
03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
The Remington ammo(Golden Bullets) is a known evil, I've only shot Fiocchi 7.62x39 rifle ammo, and it was good stuff, maybe you got a bad box.
That said, I've had great luck with Federal Auto Match ammo, feeds well, no stove pipes and accurate too. Try some.

Thanx for that tip, cuz I was gonna buy a couple of bricks of the G/Bullet stuff from Big 5 tomorrow. Will now have to do some more research this week....

vmwerks
03-10-2011, 8:34 AM

Please elaborate.. stovepipes? dirty? splattered lead? unburned powder? I have shot alot of .22, since I was 11 and have never had any issues until the other night.

I ask since the 10 rds of Remington FEDERAL went down the pipe first. Anything they would have done were negated by the 50 poorly functioning Fiocchi that followed.

EDIT: I checked when I got home, the 10 rds were Federal

napahunter
03-10-2011, 8:41 AM
Thats funny, all I use (being a cheap *****) is the remington bulk pack. I have quiet a few 22's and never had a problem with them.

vmwerks
03-10-2011, 8:51 AM
Thats funny, all I use (being a cheap *****) is the remington bulk pack. I have quiet a few 22's and never had a problem with them.

Exactly... I have put countless rounds of .22 downrange over the last 35 years. I have hardly ever had an issue. I bet I had more problems the other night than in my entire life combined. Add to that I was introducing a new person to shooting made it even worse.. :(