PDA

View Full Version : Which Henry .22?

Caribouriver
03-09-2011, 2:09 PM
Is there much difference (besides cosmetic) in the quality/function between the all blue steel Henry Lever Octagon - Frontier Model (H001T) and the Golden Boy (H004)? There is almost $100 dif in the MSRP. Same lengths overall. Same barrel lengths (both 20" octagon). The Golden Boy is 1/2 lb. heavier. The "brass lite" metal on the rear of receiver on the GB is a little longer than on the that of the blue version perhaps accounting for the difference in weight. Are they equal shooters? Is the GB worth $90 more? That's a lot of LR ammo. Thanks.

BamBam-31
03-09-2011, 2:20 PM
Just buy whichever one you like better. I doubt one will outshoot the other (although I've only owned Marlins myself).

If you really like the GB and end up buying the FM just to save $90, somewhere down the line that $90 will seem like a small price to pay for something you would have been happier in owning over the long run. It's not THAT much of a difference. Again, just buy whichever one you like better. :)

pilote
03-09-2011, 2:50 PM
between those 2 it's gonna be the one you like the most...i do like that distinctive octagon barrel, it might be worth the extra to me to get that one, as i am in the market for a .22 mag rifle...i'll either get the regular .22mag or the frontier model...

GMG
03-09-2011, 4:13 PM
I bought a Henry H001 (cheapie) this year great shooting rifle.

Ledbetter
03-09-2011, 6:45 PM
I had a Golden Boy and I'm sorry I sold it. Bear in mind that the Brasslite is NOT brass but is an alloy of unknown composition. The company actually would not tell me what it was composed of when I asked on rimfirecentral.com.

Be that as it may, it was a great rifle for the money. Given the choices you list, I would buy the all-steel model (I assume it's all steel).

davek8s
03-10-2011, 10:27 AM
You can't go wrong with a henery. I have the H001t and love it. Looking back I wish I'd bought the 22 mag instead of lr. But its still an awesome rifle.

Caribouriver
03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Is the "Brass-lite" solid throughout the receiver or just a plating over the blued steel? Thanks for your inputs. Whichever I choose, I can't miss. Ha. No pun intended.

evolution1974
03-10-2011, 2:23 PM
Is the "Brass-lite" solid throughout the receiver or just a plating over the blued steel? Thanks for your inputs. Whichever I choose, I can't miss. Ha. No pun intended.

Last year I was at a local pawn shop and had the opportunity to examine an old beat up Henry Golden Boy. The receiver had deep scratches on it and the metal underneath the Brass-lite plating looked more like die cast metal then steel to me. Iíd also like to mention that the H001T has a receiver that is painted black (not blue steel). Donít let these details discourage you from purchasing either of them because they are good guns.

There are a few major differences between the H001T and the Golden Boy that I would like to point out for you that have not been mentioned in the previous posts. The stock angles between the two guns are different with the Golden Boy having a larger drop. This drop allows the shooter to align the iron sights more comfortably when the rifle is shouldered. The stock on the H001T has drop in the stock that is less dramatic because it allows the shooter to more comfortably aim the rifle when using a scope. The H001T has a grooved receiver which allows you to easily mount a scope while the Golden Boy does not have a groove on the receiver. However, it is possible to mount a scope on the Golden Boy by purchasing and installing a cantilever scope mount that attaches to the barrel. I believe the new Golden Boys have the barrels drilled and tapped at the factory (I think the older Golden Boys had to be D&T by a gun smith).

I own a Golden Boy that is a joy to shoot and handles like a dream. If you like the looks and plan to use irons sights then get the Golden Boy. If you plan on adding a scope, then purchase the H001T. Either way you wonít regret your purchase.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Henry%20Golden%20Boy/1289672445.jpg

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Henry%20Golden%20Boy/1289672380.jpg

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Henry%20Golden%20Boy/1289672381.jpg

jedininja
03-10-2011, 2:43 PM
Other than what has already been stated, the Goldenboy out of the box has a much smoother action. Smoothest action of any lever action I have felt actually.

mls204
03-17-2011, 5:15 PM
Evolution1974, have you noticed the walnut stock turning darker over the years? Your stock looks darker (which looks better imo) than in the pics I've seen of it elsewhere. I'm interested in a GB as well, just cant decide what caliber. It most likely will be .22LR since I'll only be plinking it at the range.

10rounds
03-17-2011, 8:01 PM
Took put my new (cheap) H001 to the range earlier this week. I was hitting the target at 50 yards with the open sight. I was using the cheap Blazer bulk 22. The H001 performed flawlessly with the cheap ammo. The H001 is a nice plinker for me.

FYI. On the H001, you have to drift the rear sight because the H001 is not zeroed in at the factory. I kind of centered the rear sight before going to the range & it was darn close. I'm not sure if this applies to the other models.

tom hudson
03-17-2011, 8:42 PM
I had a Golden Boy and I'm sorry I sold it. Bear in mind that the Brasslite is NOT brass but is an alloy of unknown composition. The company actually would not tell me what it was composed of when I asked on rimfirecentral.com.

Be that as it may, it was a great rifle for the money. Given the choices you list, I would buy the all-steel model (I assume it's all steel).

I'm an engraver - the 22 golden boy is a cast unit - the larger cal are machined brass - the 22's are almost impossible to engrave - the machined recievers cut very nice but all of the Henry's are fun guns to shot - tom

evolution1974
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Evolution1974, have you noticed the walnut stock turning darker over the years? Your stock looks darker (which looks better imo) than in the pics I've seen of it elsewhere. I'm interested in a GB as well, just cant decide what caliber. It most likely will be .22LR since I'll only be plinking it at the range.

It was pretty dark when I got it and I don't know if the stock has gotten darker. Might just depend on the lighting in the photo.