PDA

View Full Version : IO M-91/30 Mosin Sniper Rifle w/PU Scope

morepoop4u
10-12-2006, 11:24 PM
I need to add some character to my gun collection and so I'm looking to add the Enemy at the gates mosin nagant sniper rifle. What things should I look for when buying a mosin nagant and who has the best price on surplus ammo.

http://www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=INTERORDNANCE.com&Product_Code=MOSI0021

FatKatMatt
10-13-2006, 9:36 AM
Pre-WWII ones are generally made to a higher quality then those created during the war. You will want the M91/30, it was manufactured from 1930 to 1945 so any one built between 1930 and 1940 should be best. You can buy these guns complete or get the scope and mount as money becomes available.

EDIT: one more thing, make sure the gun you get was an original sniper, drilled & tapped etc for the PU mount.

Blue
10-13-2006, 10:12 AM
There's one for sale on AR15.com right now. Dated 1925. It's not a US build according to the seller. Looks really nice.

timmy8151
10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
The one from I/O in your link is a replica. While these arent bad rifles they dont have the history that an authentic one would have. With that said, the replicas are fine shooters and good conversation pieces. I have a replica PU that I bought from Coles and have been very pleased with it.

M. Sage
10-13-2006, 5:03 PM
Most of the sniper 91/30's out there are replicas.

The way I understand it; basically, if it's got the marks showing it was re-arsenaled (a square box with a line straight through it), it's probably a replica.

@FatKattMatt: I've only ever heard of Soviet sniper Mosins being 91/30s. YMMV when it comes to Finn rifles, God knows what they were putting scopes on, what scopes they used, etc. Just that it'd probably work a lot better than the Soviet counterpart.