PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Pigs

Kestryll
10-11-2006, 3:19 PM
Seeing the thread on NoCal Hogs got me thinking, there has to be an area around So Cal tohunt pigs.
My Bro in law went to Montana a couple of years ago to hunt deer and loved it. I'd like to find a place to hunt here in California, preferably down towards the L.A. or S.D. area. Even Ventura area wouldn't be bad.

Any ideas or suggestions?

GTKrockeTT
10-11-2006, 4:06 PM
i might be doing a "guy's trip" getaway from the wives w/some friends. thinking about some hog hunting at Twisselman Outfitters....http://www.twisselmanoutfitters.com/index2.html

GTKrockeTT
10-11-2006, 4:10 PM
http://www.jesseshunting.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/579/sort/7/cat/237/page/6

1SGMAT
10-11-2006, 7:47 PM
TEJON Ranch off the grapevine on I5.

VeryCoolCat
10-11-2006, 8:15 PM
I wouldn't feel right using a guide. If I am going to hunt a critter its going to be on my & those with me ingenuity. Hell, your paying $500 for a guy to take you out to a place and shoot something.

pieeater
10-11-2006, 8:29 PM
I wouldn't feel right using a guide. If I am going to hunt a critter its going to be on my & those with me ingenuity. Hell, your paying $500 for a guy to take you out to a place and shoot something. Actualy I pay the money to go to a place that has pigs.Stay in a nice house eat good food etc.,etc. I've killed them on public land before when I was younger. Hunt 9 or 10 days to kill one, pack it out for hours to your truck thats been broken into.

Last time I went pig hunting we killed 9 in a day and drank cocktails while the guide was up till one in the morning skinning. I'd much rather work some OT and go on a good hunt than screw around on public land. Although I started my pig hunting career on BLM I hope I never go back.

pieeater
10-11-2006, 8:37 PM
i might be doing a "guy's trip" getaway from the wives w/some friends. thinking about some hog hunting at Twisselman Outfitters....http://www.twisselmanoutfitters.com/index2.html

Take the wives.
http://www.fototime.com/D10086C5171EE63/standard.jpg

chris
10-11-2006, 9:30 PM
you can go to this ranch in Tehachapi. http://www.huntcedarcanyon.com/ my friend and my taxidermist run the ranch not bad good hunt. kinda tough terrain and up around 5,000 ft.

jemaddux
10-12-2006, 5:23 AM
Posted edited by Jemaddux to correct error

chris
10-12-2006, 8:24 AM
James not to disagree with you I'm sure you have dealt with the public. i'm privelaged to know that many people flake alot on this ranch. also you know how unreasonable people can be. this is a generalization of what i have seen and what i have heard. the guy is quite tired of the ranch. there are some underlying issues with the landowner of the ranch. he's the paranoid type. This is the way the ranch has to be run. It was much more laxed a few years ago and people made it the way it is today. It's business and that is all it is. If you deal with the public then you will know what I mean. Sorry for the bad experience. Many people have a good time there.

The Chalet there is ok but it's down in a canyon and a steep drive at that. People have gotten stuck down there and that is the reason he won't have people in it. It was neglected and abused for many years and now it's much better than it was when I first went to the ranch to help out getting it up and running. Again dealing with the public in general will have you make decisions that many people will dislike.

jemaddux
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM

luvtolean
10-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Hmmm...a guided pig hunt would be pretty cool. No hunters in our family, so I've never actually learned about it.

Give me an excuse to get off my butt and finally order a .458 SOCOM too.

dw1784
10-12-2006, 2:56 PM
thanks for the info guys. I went to the Raahauge's sporting show this year and attended the hog hunting speech. Makes me really want to try it!! B4 that though, I need to be in better physical condition, as I won't be able to carry the carcass and hike the 10+ mile back to camp. Start hiking with 80 pound concrete sacks?:D

Questions for your guys:
anyone heard of wild pigs in Chino? know of any first hand experience? Second, what ever happened to Santa Rosa Island? I've alway heard there's lots of elks and pigs there. Thanks.

jemaddux
10-12-2006, 5:58 PM
There are to many places to hunt.

luvtolean
10-12-2006, 7:58 PM
Heh, relax dude, I was referring to the one GTK posted.

Even allowing for the other side's story, no way I'd go to the place you did. ;)

anotherone
10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...a guided pig hunt would be pretty cool. No hunters in our family, so I've never actually learned about it.

Give me an excuse to get off my butt and finally order a .458 SOCOM too.

If you're considering taking a .458 SOCOM, AR-15 variant, or M-14 pig hunting then you're much richer than I am. Remember, your field gun is going to possibly get the crap beat out of it. This is the very reason I use a 1968 SEARS .30-06 bolt action rifle with a 1970s scope on it. My good stuff only comes out to shoot paper and my field guns are for the field. Don't take a $1000+ rifle out to hunt pigs unless you don't care about the finish, stock, or parts.

luvtolean
10-13-2006, 6:41 AM
Not because I'm rich, but every gun I have is just a tool, if they show wear from use, so be it.

jemaddux
10-13-2006, 7:15 AM

bwiese
10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
I have to agree. Why would I buy a rifle, take it to the range and get very good with that rifle just to put it back in the safe to take something else hunting? The price of my rifles really doesn't matter as long as they are good for hunting. I am not going to take my AR with a about 1800 bucks into it into the field because it isn't a hunting rifle. Now on the other hand, my .308 that I have about $1500 into goes every time.

Yeah, shoot it like you stole it from the DOJ ;)

jemaddux
10-13-2006, 4:28 PM
Yeah, shoot it like you stole it from the DOJ ;)

Oh boy could I say something to this Bill but I would end up getting myself in trouble again.

I will leave it to the imagination .308/DOJ/pigs..........:D

Whitesmoke
10-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Not to argue this with you but to just point out a couple things. As you said it may be steep to get to the Chalet and so on then you shouldn't even offer it like he did and then at the last minute say no. Next thing, dealing with the public requires calling them back say within a few days would be nice but not four months later and leaving a message I want my two hundred dollars and I was moving my shop that is why I am calling now. Now, as I said, I was replaced by someone else that payed the two hundred or total of $500 for the hunt so either way he got his money and the agreed amount of people were there. Now he is going as far as taking it out on someone just because they were part of the group, thats complete BS. If anyone should have been sitting there saying what is going on here it should have been all of us. He was the one that with NO warning closed his shop and moved it, no return phone calls, no return emails, not even a large sign at his shop saying he had moved according to a couple people. As I said, this isn't to argue, my opinion is my own but I will continue to tell people not to deal with him or the ranch. If it so much of a problem then maybe he should give it up and let someone else run it like it should be run, just a suggestion.

Good info....Thanks you. I had considered hunting there before as it's only 45 minutes away. I won't now....

That is no way to run any kind of business.....you can't take peoples money and then change the rules on them and leave them with no where to stay. And ban guys from hunting there over $200? They made $2000 off those guys when they didn't even get a pig last time....and now he's going to ban them. What an ******....

jemaddux
10-31-2006, 6:52 PM
Good info....Thanks you. I had considered hunting there before as it's only 45 minutes away. I won't now....

That is no way to run any kind of business.....you can't take peoples money and then change the rules on them and leave them with no where to stay. And ban guys from hunting there over $200? They made $2000 off those guys when they didn't even get a pig last time....and now he's going to ban them. What an ******....

This was not good information. I understood what was going on wrong so no the information is not good.

tankerman
10-31-2006, 7:09 PM
I heard a rumor that parts of the Santa ana river were(are) going to be opened to cull the hog population near featherly park and below the dam. Anyone talk to DFG or have any other info?

Whitesmoke
10-31-2006, 7:28 PM
This was not good information. I understood what was going on wrong so no the information is not good.

I'm confused....are you saying your original post was wrong? or ?

jemaddux
10-31-2006, 7:42 PM
I'm confused....are you saying your original post was wrong? or ?

I wrote that no one got pigs and that was how I understood it. I am saying that I am being told that was wrong and yes they did get pigs on the hunt. I was also told that the reason the chalet was not opened was due to snow, that information was not told to me before. So I am making sure the correct information is given I set up another post correcting the information.

Whitesmoke
10-31-2006, 7:53 PM
Ahh...I get you, thanks for the clarification.

VeryCoolCat
11-01-2006, 1:26 PM
I don't have a 4x4, and I don't want to pay a pretty penny to hunt on private property.

I don't know much about pigs, but I figure considering their size and habits you could potentially track them.

Can multiple people hunt on one permit+tag?

chris
11-01-2006, 1:48 PM
not really a good idea to hunt several people on one tag. you may get busted. it's a good rule of thumb to get a pig tag if you hunt in CA. there are pigs everywhere. if you decide to go after pigs on public land you will spend more money than a ranch in expenses alone. i cannot make this decision for you. but getting a pig on public land is difficult and tracking the suckers is very time consuming and you can end walking many miles. they can't see very good but they can smell you from very far away. pigs are in season all year long anyway so go when you want. that's the cool part.

good luck on your hunting trips.