PDA

View Full Version : Transportation "Container"

ChuckG
10-11-2006, 2:14 PM
Could someone shed some light on the proper interpretation of a "locked container" with regards to transporting pistols to and from the range?

Basicly I would like to get away from the hard cases I've used in the past and use a soft case with zipper that can accept a lock. This seems like it fits the description laid out by the DOJ, but I dont want to put myself in a precarious position so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Also would it be illegal to transport a pistol and empty magazines in a locked container, while that same container was in the same range bag as your ammunition. And if it was legal would it still be frowned upon by most LEOs or considered acceptable?

This is my first post after lurking around for a bit. Former USMC here and am very happy to have found you all and this site. I have been wanting to get back into markmanship training with an AR/M16 type weapon and thought I was SOL given California law.

Great resource... thanks all!!!

grammaton76
10-11-2006, 2:19 PM
I personally use one of those little "doctor bags" with four soft cases inside for four pistols. Easy to lock the doctor bag...

chiefcrash
10-11-2006, 2:30 PM
not sure about the case in the range bag with ammo, but a soft, lockable gun case should be fine. Most people get the hard ones mostly because they're more durable AND you need a hard sided case to check firearms onto an aircraft...

ChuckG
10-11-2006, 2:46 PM
Thanks guys..

The entire locked container inside a range bag that also holds ammunition is more for ease of transport to and from the parking lot and range. Seems easier to carry everything in one bag vs. walking around with boxes of ammo in one hand, and a locked container with weapon in the other.

Maybe I am over thinking this. :rolleyes:

M. Sage
10-11-2006, 6:13 PM
Hmm, put a soft pistol case inside my range bag... that's not a bad idea, wish I'd thought of that.

ryang
10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I have a bag from a manufacturer sadly out of business that uses YYK locking zippers. It has two separate pistol compartments on either side of the main storage area with a padded pistol slipcase inside each. The slipcases are long enough that I can sew them down the middle to create two compartments.

The end result is I can transport four pistols in a "locked container" with loaded mags legally in the main (unlocked) storage compartment.

johnny_22
10-14-2006, 7:01 PM
Lock is attached and zipper and bag are strong. All the big office supply chains have them in stock, and you can order larger ones for your revolver.

M. Sage
10-14-2006, 7:08 PM
Awesome! Where do you get 'em?

xenophobe
10-18-2006, 9:47 AM
Lockable soft cases meet California law in regards to handgun transportation. AWs need hard cases.

bwiese
10-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Lockable soft cases meet California law in regards to handgun transportation. AWs need hard cases.

Where do you find that for AWs? I don't recall seeing any statutory 12280/12285 stuff or regulatory separate discussion of special locked cases for AWs. If you have more info, lemme know ...